Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Email address Paypal possible fraud

Forum Lurker
    View borucha's Feedback (+3007)
    All-About borucha
    View borucha's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Email address Paypal possible fraud

I too have been the recipient of a couple of 1c/1p deposits sent as friends and family followed by larger echeques that don't clear or get cancelled for no transaction of other reason known to me, and as a result paypal temporarily closed my account to withdrawals, seemed sensible and deposits, cant understand why they needed to do that.

can someone explain the scam

they've proved my paypal account exists ok but how do they get access any funds in it ? they need to find my password - and like others since this happened I have changed it

not being on twitter or FB - does social media indicate that this is a problem with paypal generally or one targeted at its interaction with ebid ? and/or with other auction/vendor sites

I suspect as someone wrote that a lot more of us have been the subject of this "attack" but due to lethargy haven't reported it.

so how many people have been targeted ?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

One reason not to have the same email for both eBid [and other trading sites] & Paypal.

I learned the hard way many years ago on eBay.

Forum Newbie
    View Vermillion's Feedback (+14)
    All-About Vermillion
    View Vermillion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    One reason not to have the same email for both eBid [and other trading sites] & Paypal.

I learned the hard way many years ago on eBay.
    Well,
    Here's an update. A month later (December) I have been sent an amount of £2641.36 via Paypal echeque pending. From the same person who sent me a 1p. The first 1p came from the person on ebid, the second different name but probably the same and the third, same person as the second. Paypal told me to 'reach out' to the person at the end of the email address. Instead I cancelled the payment and reported to action fraud. Last week my credit card numbers were use to pay for a service , £40.00 then later an attempt was made to buy something from ebay via paypal using the credit card. The bank was suspicious and stopped the card very quickly. I have different passwords for all my accounts. Still can't figure it out, but again reported to action fraud. This started with ebid but these people obviously fish around. It just pays to keep and eye on your accounts. Never 'reach out' either.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Vermillion
    Forum Posts

Paypal via Twitter have been very slow to respond and don't seem to 'get it'. Their team seem very naive. I just go straight to Action Fraud now.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Going to Action Fraud concerning this ongoing issue with PayPal seems a sound proactive thing to do. They are UK based it seems.

Do not believe PP Team is naive; but I do believe that the strategy of "planned incompetence" is a powerful diversionary strategy.

Seems the practice of corporate giant partners in potential fraud may be attracting more followers. Will not mention the players specifically unless all doubt is removed. Also hope I am wrong, because it is more serious than PP issue and could impact users here and beyond in a very bad way. Will not say anymore about it here, but if it is so, will post a separate thread. Again, hope I'm wrong.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post
    Paypal via Twitter have been very slow to respond and don't seem to 'get it'. Their team seem very naive. I just go straight to Action Fraud now.
    If you worked for them would you poke your head up and go public on the incompetence. Maybe the staff want to keep their jobs and not "do a Ratner" as we call it in Britain.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...p-1992-archive
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Newbie
    All-About Vermillion
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Going to Action Fraud concerning this ongoing issue with PayPal seems a sound proactive thing to do. They are UK based it seems.

Do not believe PP Team is naive; but I do believe that the strategy of "planned incompetence" is a powerful diversionary strategy.

Seems the practice of corporate giant partners in potential fraud may be attracting more followers. Will not mention the players specifically unless all doubt is removed. Also hope I am wrong, because it is more serious than PP issue and could impact users here and beyond in a very bad way. Will not say anymore about it here, but if it is so, will post a separate thread. Again, hope I'm wrong.
    I'm getting to think that way too. Am going to keep an even closer watch. Thanks for that.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Vermillion
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    If you worked for them would you poke your head up and go public on the incompetence. Maybe the staff want to keep their jobs and not "do a Ratner" as we call it in Britain.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...p-1992-archive
    Thanks for that timely reminder.
    Well remember that. One lowly employee did respond on Twitter with interesting advice. He'd seen this before and advised against reaching out. One day the **** will hit the fan. Hope I'm not in the crossfire...

Quote Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post
    Well,
    Here's an update. A month later (December) I have been sent an amount of £2641.36 via Paypal echeque pending. From the same person who sent me a 1p. The first 1p came from the person on ebid, the second different name but probably the same and the third, same person as the second. Paypal told me to 'reach out' to the person at the end of the email address. Instead I cancelled the payment and reported to action fraud. Last week my credit card numbers were use to pay for a service , £40.00 then later an attempt was made to buy something from ebay via paypal using the credit card. The bank was suspicious and stopped the card very quickly. I have different passwords for all my accounts. Still can't figure it out, but again reported to action fraud. This started with ebid but these people obviously fish around. It just pays to keep and eye on your accounts. Never 'reach out' either.
    You seem to be implying that the paypal problem and the credit card fraud are related? Why? It could simply be a coincidence.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

This situation has happened too many times for it to be a coincidence, if you take a look in the other fraud thread you will see many people that have had this happen to them.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Thread Information