View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Google Chrome Extends Windows XP Support Until End of 2015

Google Chrome Extends Windows XP Support Until End of 2015

http://www.omgchrome.com/google-chro...d-of-the-year/

Default Re: Google Chrome Extends Windows XP Support Until End of 2015

They also dropped support for Windows Vista before Vista reached its 10 year end of support status, which was just recently in April of 2017. They'll probably be dropping Windows 7 support in a couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a Windows 10 only product within 5 years.

Google makes their money from the cloud, and pushing people to new operating systems which don't support older applications makes people switch to online cloud based replacements for these applications. These older applications were likely purchased in a store on a CD during the Windows XP days or before and require no Internet connectivity.

For example, you bought a CD with software to make greeting cards in 1998. It has hundreds of styles, even more than what can be found in stores so it can practically be used forever. It has worked fine on Windows XP & Vista through 2014. Then you found that Chrome would no longer work. So you updated your computer to Windows 8 or 10. Now Chrome works, but your greeting card software does not. So you found a website that lets you print some free greeting cards. It's slow even on a DSL connection and it's filled with advertisements from Google's advertising division, which is what allowed the site to have a high ranking in Google's search results, which is how you found it in the first place. Now you've used up the free cards and now you've signed up for a subscription to have full access to all the greeting card styles. To make matters worse, the subscription doesn't remove most of Google's advertisements which are on the site.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Perhaps I'm thick but if you buy a CD with software to make cards or do anything else for that matter, why can't you just continue using it? How does Google Chrome get involved? I've never used Google Chrome.

Because the greeting card software on the CD doesn't work on computers that come with Windows 7 and later, and Chrome requires Windows 7 or later.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stopusingebay View Post
    Because the greeting card software on the CD doesn't work on computers that come with Windows 7 and later, and Chrome requires Windows 7 or later.
    I use Chrome and don't have Windows at all as I only have Chrome OS but it doesn't take much to confuse me

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I use Chrome and don't have Windows at all as I only have Chrome OS but it doesn't take much to confuse me
    You don't have a computer, you have an Internet terminal. A terminal is a machine who's primary purpose is to connect to remote computers. You're missing out on all the great things computers used to be used for, back when many people didn't even have Internet.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stopusingebay View Post
    You don't have a computer, you have an Internet terminal. A terminal is a machine who's primary purpose is to connect to remote computers. You're missing out on all the great things computers used to be used for, back when many people didn't even have Internet.
    I have a Chromebook which does what I want it to. I only use my laptop to use Office as the documents on my chromebook don't upload to Dropbox.

My first computer was an old Macintosh...had a separate fan that sounded just like my vacuum cleaner.

My laptop gets used maybe once a month or so.

Thread Information