Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse PIN No.

View mobymatt's Feedback (+1580)
    All-About mobymatt
    View mobymatt's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it is a hoax, but actually holds more truth than a lot of the misinformation circulating around the www:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/reversepin.html

It seems someone in America has patented a system to alert the authorities to an attempted ATM robbery - called SafetyPIN or PanicPIN.

The Banks haven't exactly jumped at the chance of adopting the system. Their stance is it will confuse their customers and will be unworkable, the cynic's stance is it would be too expensive.

Until such a system is in place *if* it could work I think the best advice is found in the last paragraph of the page I've linked to:

"Until the better mousetrap can be built, we have to keep our defenses up. Always be alert of your surroundings when using an ATM and look for machines in well-lit, high traffic areas. If anyone approaches you, espeicially with a deadly weapon, and orders you to withdraw cash, law enforcement experts advise to give the crook exactly what he wants, then notify officials as soon as possible after the incident."

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantplukka View Post
    it would be impossible, because your pin number backwards would be someone elses pin number and the money would come from that account and not yours ....duh!
    Your PIN is linked to the data on your card so even if your reversed number was the same as someone else's (correct) PIN you still won't get any cash. Sheesh, if it was that easy to get money out of someone else's account, we'd probably all be at it.

All-About pheasantplukka
    View pheasantplukka's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Your PIN is linked to the data on your card so even if your reversed number was the same as someone else's (correct) PIN you still won't get any cash. Sheesh, if it was that easy to get money out of someone else's account, we'd probably all be at it.

errrm, isnt that what I said damien

Hi
    Definitely a hoax
    I think the thread link Damian has put in is probably the one I started a while ago.

I think some of the hoax's doing the rounds sound very plausible so it's probably better to come on the forums and ask. At least that way a lot more people find out and emails don't get clogged up with panic mailing, which is where I originally received mine from.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantplukka View Post
    errrm, isnt that what I said damien
    No, you said that the reversed PIN would access someone else's account and take the money from there and not from the card holder's account.

Read the thread including where I quoted what you wrote to see the proof of your mistake.

Yes, it has to be a hoax. My brother came back with "What if (eg) your PIN no. was 4664?"

Good point!

Thread Information