Thread: Tobacciana category needs attention

Default Tobacciana category needs attention

There is a selection of categories that need sorting out, first there is:
    Collectables > Tobacciana > Matchboxes & Matchbooks
    and "Matchbooks" is repeated in
    Collectables > Paper & Ephemera > Matchbooks
    also there is
    Collectables > Paper & Ephemera > Matchbox Labels

I woud have thought the best layout is for these 3 categories is to be seperated under Tobacciana, hence:
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchbooks
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchboxes
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchbox Labels

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Tobacciana category needs attention

Quote Originally Posted by interestingtreasures View Post
    There is a selection of categories that need sorting out, first there is:
    Collectables > Tobacciana > Matchboxes & Matchbooks
    and "Matchbooks" is repeated in
    Collectables > Paper & Ephemera > Matchbooks
    also there is
    Collectables > Paper & Ephemera > Matchbox Labels

I woud have thought the best layout is for these 3 categories is to be seperated under Tobacciana, hence:
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchbooks
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchboxes
    Collectables >Tobacciana > Matchbox Labels
    In my opinion, matchboxes, matchbox labels and matchbooks should be under Collectables>paper and Ephemera not under Tobacciana. After all, matches were used to light many things, not only tobacco products. If I were looking for matchboxes etc, I certainly would not look under Tobacciana.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    In my opinion, matchboxes, matchbox labels and matchbooks should be under Collectables>paper and Ephemera not under Tobacciana. After all, matches were used to light many things, not only tobacco products. If I were looking for matchboxes etc, I certainly would not look under Tobacciana.
    Yes, I agree that matches were used for more than lighting tobacco products, but where would a metal matchbox go? Certainly not under ephemera

Interesting thought! Of course they are not matchboxes but matchbox holders - you place the whole box inside.

Incidentally, I saw one in "another place" recently which had the Arabic (Hindi if you're a purist) year date of 1934 on it. It was described as "antique"! Cheek, as this is only a few years my senior!!

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Interesting thought! Of course they are not matchboxes but matchbox holders - you place the whole box inside.

Incidentally, I saw one in "another place" recently which had the Arabic (Hindi if you're a purist) year date of 1934 on it. It was described as "antique"! Cheek, as this is only a few years my senior!!
    If you're close to being an "antique" you're one of the sharpest nonagenarians I've ever met!

The one I have is technically called a matchsafe - an ornately decorated metal box with a hinged lid that a gentlemen carried in his coat pocked to store his matches for smoking. They were popular from about 1870 until the 1930s, when matchbooks and cigarette lighters became popular. A matchsafe can also refer to a container that hangs on the wall by a stove or fireplace but I would probably list them under a Kitchen antique category.

Thread Information