Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now would be a good time to separate Handmade goods from Craft section

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Now would be a good time to separate Handmade goods from Craft section

I know that I've been saying this for a long time but hand made goods should be in a separate category from craft materials (see other threads where I have made the point with reasons).

Now would be a very good time to implement this as Etsy are increasing their fees and taking them on postage charges. I will, almost certainly, be closing my shop there. However, I sell patterns there and here is already a good place to sell them. To have any chance of enticing maker/sellers here, they need to see a proper place to list them.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Default Re: Now would be a good time to separate Handmade goods from Craft section

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I know that I've been saying this for a long time but hand made goods should be in a separate category from craft materials (see other threads where I have made the point with reasons).

Now would be a very good time to implement this as Etsy are increasing their fees and taking them on postage charges. I will, almost certainly, be closing my shop there. However, I sell patterns there and here is already a good place to sell them. To have any chance of enticing maker/sellers here, they need to see a proper place to list them.

It really bugs me every time I have to list a knitting pattern in the handmade category. Consequently, I have stopped listing them on here.
    If the time every comes that we have the correct category for them, I shall list some.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Now would be a good time to separate Handmade goods from Craft section

I would look for handmade homecrafts under Crafts. I would expect there to be another section within crafts for the things that craft makers need to buy.
    If I saw a handmade crafts section I would expect it to be more artisan, like glass-blowing and boat-building rather than domestic crafts - just the logic I would use.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

So you are not a great buyer of knitting, crochet or papercraft, Bill? Such items are handcrafted.

The issue is that materials for makers and their products should be totally separate - two different markets.
    Even the fact that people keep reporting that those who buy their knitting patterns expect to receive the finished garment, shows that there is a problem.
    Last edited by madelaine; 14th June 2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    I would look for handmade homecrafts under Crafts. I would expect there to be another section within crafts for the things that craft makers need to buy.
    If I saw a handmade crafts section I would expect it to be more artisan, like glass-blowing and boat-building rather than domestic crafts - just the logic I would use.

Of course it is logical, Bill. The distinction being that knitting patterns are craft items and the finished articles have been crafted, i.e. handmade.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

So you are not a great buyer of knitting, crochet or papercraft, Bill? Such items are handcrafted.

The issue is that materials for makers and their products should be totally separate - two different markets.
    Even the fact that people keep reporting that those who buy their knitting patterns expect to receive the finished garment, shows that there is a problem.
    When I said I would look for handmade crafts under crafts, I think I was mistaken.
    For example, I did want to buy a knitted jumper, I would be looking for jumpers.
    In the same way, the hand-made jewellery I sell on Ebid is under jewellery, not under craft.

For all I know there could be buyers who are crazy for anything home-made and that is the category they would head for. It is just that I would not expect to sell hand-made jewellery there.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

I agree, Bill. I put handmade items under the section for the item, but there is a demand for just handmade items and hiding them with the craft materials is crazy.

I suspect that this is a lost cause, but I try.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with you, Madelaine. Illogical placement.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I make and sell handmade items, so it would be logical to place them in the correct category.

For instance, my crochet baby booties have to be placed in:
    Clothes, Shoes, Accessories > Baby & Toddler Clothing > Shoes >

Instead of:
    Crafts, Handmade & Sewing > Other

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I tend to agree with you, Jan.

Thread Information