eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Second-Life - Promote eBid for peanuts!

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here's another example. Apple have opened a 'store' on second life which they have then turned into a youtube viral ad.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ovL4pZ...eature=related

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    Thanks Simon,

I see premium membership can be obtained for $85 a year. EBID could set up their own premium account, and we could make an ebid youtube video about it!
    Hi HH,
    If eBid set up their account would that let others maybe be invited in to talk about eBid, give you virtual mugs and things.

You can tell I have no idea what I am talking about.

But I think I like the possibilities this seems to offer.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

For me the problem would be time, even forums impinge on my painting time, and I don't have enough of that already. Sounds like it could be a good idea though for those who are into On line role playing.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't plan to walk around there in my ebid T shirt either? But if EBID opened a premium account, and 'bought' a virtual ebid store ( maybe next to the virtual Apple store!) all those people who Do have time to explore will come across the EBID store.

Another value is the high standard of ebid viral add that can be created on youtube using the second-life graphics. Look at the Apple viral ad. It's a simple video clip taken direct from second-life - but the computor graphics are fantastic. Can you imagine how much it would cost to create from scratch?

I wish Simon had submitted this idea for the marketing proposals because i think it would have been worth paying someone who is skilled in designing second-life shops and charactors to set up the ebid store- and then using the virtual store and characters to start in an ebid youtube viral ad.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert691 View Post
    Hi Yvonne,

(Sorry I didn't answer your post, in my last one. I'm still not sure how to quote two people in one post )
    1. Hit "Quote"
    2. select all
    3. Copy
    4. Switch to text editor
    5. Paste
    6. return to thread
    7. find next post you want to quote
    8. Quote, copy, paste to editor
    9. edit till done
    10. select all
    11. Copy
    12. Switch to thread
    13. Paste
    14. Submit

That's a great idea, using Second Life as a means of publicising eBid. The thing that I find most encouraging is that you say you get people asking you about it 'in there.'

I've heard of SL, but have never tried it. I might do, but I spend too much time in Everquest (similar deal but fantasy virtual world instead, with magic and sexy elves ).
    Why use QWERTY? Get Broadband for your Fingers with Dvorak SKL!

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up This is awesome!

Am going to spend some time thinking about ideas for SL & how to get the most out of it, eBid wise. A Second Life business plan pmsl

Probably not this side of Christmas though.....think the family might object if i'm serving beans on toast for Christmas lunch

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Lurker
    View lottie2005's Feedback (+177)
    All-About lottie2005
    View lottie2005's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

Hi,
    I went on SL last year but all it seemed to do was crash.I have been back on it and had to reregister as i had lost the details.It didnt crash so much but I find the difficulty is you have to do tasks to move into the game.It is certainly something I will consider seriously in the new year.I do not have alot of time as i have a two and a half year old running amock!!
    I am a keen SIMS player time allowing,so next year I could make some Ebid related items and sims for players to download for free off the websites.I have made items and sims before,they have to be snazzy for players to download them.I will get my daughter to help me shes pretty good.
    Kind regards,
    Michaela
    Attached Images Attached Images  

View mobymatt's Feedback (+1580)
    All-About mobymatt
    View mobymatt's Listings
    Forum Posts

Got to hand it to you Simon...you know how to sell an idea!

I've joined, installed the client software and this is what's happened so far in the 15 mins I've been brave enough to try:

1. As soon as I joined I saw loads of naked people nearby
    2. They were all men
    3. Loads of people kept saying "Hey" or "Hi" to me so naturally I just ran away as fast as possible
    4. The person I have created as me really annoys me - is there any way I can punch myself in the face? (or change the way I look without resorting to plastic surgery?)
    5. I've stolen a car, run over some rats and learned how to fly...sounds like graduation night all over again
    Joking aside I think this place has got great potential - I just need to slow down on the running away from anyone who tries to speak to me

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Evening all!

Thanks to everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

Thanks Simon, This looks interesting
    Here's a youtube link which explains it all a bit more.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b72CvvMuD6Q
    I've just signed up for a basic free account under my hannaholly name.

I see premium membership can be obtained for $85 a year. EBID could set up their own premium account, and we could make an ebid youtube video about it!
    All the YouTube SL videos I've just looked at, do look most interesting, and explain many of it's aspects, a lot better than I did. LOL! Great to hear you've signed up Hanna. (If you don't mind, I'll add you to my SL 'friends' list, so I can start looking for, and finding some 'familiar' names from these Forums. (If anyone wants to add me, please feel free, my User Name 'over there', is 'Ignatius Lytton'.) One strange thing, is sometimes, a search for a User Name is successful, other times not. Don't know why.
    Re. 'Premium' that would be a great Idea Hanna, especially if, as you say, a YouTube Video was made. It would make for great promotion. Interestingly, I was reading the other day, that although some people have Premium Accounts, they can actually make more than enough in L$ to cover it! Obviously there aren't too many cases where this happens, but the fact that it does is significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    I have tried second Life and found it very time consuming So dropped it after 2 weeks (Which I think is a fair trial). I find it so pointless. (not to say other people don't like it) But A) I've got an Ebid T shirt on and walk out of the front door and go to REAL shopping malls wearing it and B) I've seen the REAL U2 in Concert 3 times before and I know which I prefer!. Overaul Its a good idea for all those who have not got a real life and quite a good idea to walk around in Ebid tshirts but its not for me.
    As for the time consuming bit well think how many items you can list on Ebid in the time your playing second life?
    Fair comment Nosty, but it only needs to be as time-consuming as you want it to be. As I see it, the big advange over a RL shopping mall, is that you can cover a lot more ground, and meet a lot more people, who are obviously into the Internet/Computers in SL, than you can in the same time in RL. Also, because it's 'informal' over there, it's much easier to give out information about eBid/your sales on SL, than to approach people in RL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ropegg View Post
    Hi HH,
    If eBid set up their account would that let others maybe be invited in to talk about eBid, give you virtual mugs and things.
    You can tell I have no idea what I am talking about.
    But I think I like the possibilities this seems to offer.
    Peggy, there are virtual 'halls' and other venues where talks could easily be given, and free 'virtual' mugs (and other things) given away. In fact, the Bar that I mentioned, gives out 'freebie packs' to regulars, which contain about a dozen t-shirts, mugs, and other things so the Mug ldea is definitely good, otherwise the Bar wouldn't use it. (Mind you, they may not appreciate using eBid Mugs in there. LOL! Only one way to find out! He! He!)
    Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    For me the problem would be time, even forums impinge on my painting time, and I don't have enough of that already. Sounds like it could be a good idea though for those who are into On line role playing.
    I appreciate that, Ken. Those that 'get into' SL, can find it very addictive, and therefore spend a lot of time there. With me, I tend to use it as a bit of a relaxation thing, that at the same time, has the potential to get the eBid word 'out there'.
    I don't plan to walk around there in my ebid T shirt either? But if EBID opened a premium account, and 'bought' a virtual ebid store ( maybe next to the virtual Apple store!) all those people who Do have time to explore will come across the EBID store.

Another value is the high standard of ebid viral add that can be created on youtube using the second-life graphics. Look at the Apple viral ad. It's a simple video clip taken direct from second-life - but the computor graphics are fantastic. Can you imagine how much it would cost to create from scratch?

I wish Simon had submitted this idea for the marketing proposals because i think it would have been worth paying someone who is skilled in designing second-life shops and charactors to set up the ebid store- and then using the virtual store and characters to start in an ebid youtube viral ad.
    Yes, that Apple clip is very interesting, and I'm sure a lot of the appeal, IS purely because of the Computor Graphics, and doubtless, as you say, it is much less expensive than putting together a RL clip. I'm not pretending that SL is for everyone, but for those who like this sort of thing, there are a lot of possibilities, and I feel that the sooner eBid gets a 'virtual' presence, the better.

I've been investigating SL for eBid promo purposes for sometime, but didn't want to 'announce' anything prematurely, in case it lacked possibilities. I just hope Gazza notices the thread, because advertising on there is quite reasonably priced, if gone about the right way, ie. DIY advertising, setting up your own kiosk/store/adverts/newsletters etc. (As I said before, you can rent a space for about 50-70p per week, but the 'better' areas are a bit more expensive. Designing virtual 'clothes' is resonably straightforward, although time-consuming if you're going to do it justice. Some of the Avatars Residents are using are amazing!

That's a great idea, using Second Life as a means of publicising eBid. The thing that I find most encouraging is that you say you get people asking you about it 'in there.'

I've heard of SL, but have never tried it. I might do, but I spend too much time in Everquest (similar deal but fantasy virtual world instead, with magic and sexy elves ).

Thanks for that! I'm giving it a go now LOL! I hope I'm doing it correctly.

Yes, just sitting in the Bar, people have asked what the shirt is, and I've explained, and they have been interested. I've always pointed out that it is less expensive that 'the other one', that people are more friendly, and perhaps most importantly of all, that many of the items can go for opening bid, because eBid is a 'little known secret', so there are lots of bargains.

'Everquest'? Hmmmm. Now that sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTheVeryBest View Post
    Am going to spend some time thinking about ideas for SL & how to get the most out of it, eBid wise. A Second Life business plan pmsl
    Probably not this side of Christmas though.....think the family might object if i'm serving beans on toast for Christmas lunch
    Yvonne x
    Nice on Yvonne! Yes, a 'virtual' Business Plan. You may need a 'virtual' accountant too. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by lottie2005 View Post
    Hi,
    I went on SL last year but all it seemed to do was crash.I have been back on it and had to reregister as i had lost the details.It didnt crash so much but I find the difficulty is you have to do tasks to move into the game.It is certainly something I will consider seriously in the new year.I do not have alot of time as i have a two and a half year old running amock!!
    I am a keen SIMS player time allowing,so next year I could make some Ebid related items and sims for players to download for free off the websites.I have made items and sims before,they have to be snazzy for players to download them.I will get my daughter to help me shes pretty good.
    Kind regards,
    Michaela
    Hi Michaela,
    I found SL crashed to start with, but the two things that cured the problem, were setting the Compatibility Mode to 'Windows 95' (Strange, I know but it worked for me), and updating my Video Drivers. Then it ran correctly.

I'm not sure what 'tasks' you mean, because you really don't have to do anything as such. You can edit you appearance, or not, and earn L$ or not, so you can do whatever you want really, although there are 'games' (and quizes, for earning L$) actually in SL, so you can play a game within a virtual world. LOL!

That sounds really great about your SIMS playing experience, and items for download. Like you say, give SL a go when you have a bit more time. I'm sure you'd enjoy it if you're into SIMS.

A big thank you, once again for all your suggestions and feelings about this Project. If anyone has any questions, about any of this, or getting started on SL, please let me know.

Best wishes once again, Simon / Ignatius Lytton (over there) LOL!
    Last edited by rupert691; 16th December 2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

Thread Information