Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: More thoughts on using Social Networks.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up More thoughts on using Social Networks.

I've been giving some thought to this, and have blogged here: http://ebidwidgets.tumblr.com/post/1...ocial-networks

It's a bit long, but for those who prefer not to visit blogs or leave the forums it boils down to:
    • Don't make more than three marketing posts at a time.
    • Make sure your images are top-notch.
    • Add value with good text.

And if you want to know more than that, read the blog, I'm not repeating it all again.

Comments there or here welcome, I don't expect everybody to agree!

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: More thoughts on using Social Networks.

Excellent Kim. Took me only a few minutes to read and you have given well thought out advice. Whilst I don't do much social networking, I do admire and read many of the eBid members blogs etc., and those often take me off to some of the most interesting and informative articles which I very much enjoy.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Interesting blog. It made me wonder how many SNs most normal people use. Not that I inferring Kim is not normal however people I personally know only use one or at the most two SNs, The younger ones seem to prefer Blackberries to any of the SNs

I joined Google+ and just looked at Pinterswet before quickly deciding they were, IMO, both not worth me bothering to learn as I doubt I would actually use them.

To me, advertising to my Facebook friends seems a bit silly as I'm not interested in selling to family and friends. Grandchildren know I won't charge them and friends expect a massive discount, Both will just phone me to see if I can get them anything they are interested in

On Twitter, straight forward adverts can work but I find its a number thing as the percentage that will actually see your ad is very small. You really need a lot of followers to make it work. Its like advertising in a newspaper, thousands will read the paper but only a few will see your advert and even less will actually read it.

What I have found is that a joke or funny comment can get retweeted by a few of my followers and often results in an increase of visitors directly to my website. It appears that after reading a funny tweet people look at my profile and then follow the link on there to the website.
    Last edited by TonyBridger; 15th February 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: because I always find mistakes after I've posted
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Interesting blog. It made me wonder how many SNs most normal people use. Not that I inferring Kim is not normal
    *grin*

however people I personally know only use one or at the most two SNs, The younger ones seem to prefer Blackberries to any of the SNs
    The young set I know are iphoners, not blackberriers, so SNs are still in common use. Mostly Facebook or MSN chat, as far as I can tell. I think Twitter, Pinterest and Google+ are more middle-aged.

I joined Google+ and just looked at Pinterswet before quickly deciding they were, IMO, both not worth me bothering to learn as I doubt I would actually use them.

To me, advertising to my Facebook friends seems a bit silly as I'm not interested in selling to family and friends. Grandchildren know I won't charge them and friends expect a massive discount, Both will just phone me to see if I can get them anything they are interested in
    If you don't extend your FB friend list beyond real life friends, then I agree - though even then the occasional "ooh look" might keep people informed and interested. But a *lot* of people have FB friends who are really only virtual acquaintances.

On Twitter, straight forward adverts can work but I find its a number thing as the percentage that will actually see your ad is very small. You really need a lot of followers to make it work. Its like advertising in a newspaper, thousands will read the paper but only a few will see your advert and even less will actually read it.

What I have found is that a joke or funny comment can get retweeted by a few of my followers and often results in an increase of visitors directly to my website. It appears that after reading a funny tweet people look at my profile and then follow the link on there to the website.
    Exactly. It's not just about how many Twitter followers you have, but how many *they* have, ad infinitum. That's why it's a *network*. But it's a useful and valid point that you can market without ever mentioning product - just be interesting enough!

Thread Information