Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revenge feedback protection solution

Default Revenge feedback protection solution

As many of you probably know, eBay used to allow positive and negative feedback going both ways. Eventually it came to be that buyers would not leave much needed negative feedback for fear that the seller would retaliate with negative feedback.

Here is my solution:
    Optionally hide feedback from being seen by non eBid employees until the 75 day time frame to leave feedback has passed, or all feedback that can be given between a particular buyer and seller has been given. Perhaps it would be necessary to ensure that feedback given to buyers cannot be revised to be made more negative. This allows people who leave neutral feedback such as "waiting for feedback from buyer" to still be able make it positive, but not break the system by leaving positive feedback to reveal that they were given negative feedback, and then revising the feedback to negative to get revenge.

A check box could be added to the feedback forum to activate the feature so that a user giving feedback can hide their feedback for 75 days or until feedback in both directions has been given. Maybe the feature should be enabled for everybody, since someone might assume that delayed feedback is going to be negative

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Revenge feedback protection solution

Quote Originally Posted by stopusingebay View Post
    As many of you probably know, eBay used to allow positive and negative feedback going both ways. Eventually it came to be that buyers would not leave much needed negative feedback for fear that the seller would retaliate with negative feedback.

Here is my solution:
    Optionally hide feedback from being seen by non eBid employees until the 75 day time frame to leave feedback has passed, or all feedback that can be given between a particular buyer and seller has been given. Perhaps it would be necessary to ensure that feedback given to buyers cannot be revised to be made more negative. This allows people who leave neutral feedback such as "waiting for feedback from buyer" to still be able make it positive, but not break the system by leaving positive feedback to reveal that they were given negative feedback, and then revising the feedback to negative to get revenge.

A check box could be added to the feedback forum to activate the feature so that a user giving feedback can hide their feedback for 75 days or until feedback in both directions has been given. Maybe the feature should be enabled for everybody, since someone might assume that delayed feedback is going to be negative
    Is this a problem on eBid? If not, I don't see the need to establish a complicated procedure to solve a problem which doesn't exist. Why worry about problems on TOS?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

The solution on here is that if someone leaves you unfair feedback, you email support@ebid.net with an explanation and they delete the unfair feedback.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

There is no way to be completely sure what goes through everyone's mind when thinking about leaving honest and not positive feedback, but I don't think there is much of a problem with this issue here. It's just an idea for if it ever becomes a problem.

Also here on eBid, a buyer & seller can change feedback after it has been left.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've not seen a need for such a thing here on eBid. Of course, if such a need arose it would probably mean that the feedback system be scrapped rather than turn it into a totally useless one such as the one over on the bay since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Also here on eBid, a buyer & seller can change feedback after it has been left.
    Which is a far simpler solution, and works very well I feel. It has other advantages. I'm happy to leave feedback at an early stage in the transaction, knowing that I can add further info as the transaction progresses.

Ebay could have come up with better solutions, of course. Better for the buyers and sellers, I mean. But they're focussed on solutions that they believe bring more revenue to themselves.

Their latest turn of the screws, changing their 'free' listing offer, has at last encouraged me to make my long overdue migration.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Our feedback system has not changed much since we launched it all those years ago.

We're always open to any suggestions for improvements however.

In an ideal world both buyers and sellers should be able to leave very honest feedback without fear of reprisals but we all know that it's never that smooth.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Our feedback system has not changed much since we launched it all those years ago.

We're always open to any suggestions for improvements however.

In an ideal world both buyers and sellers should be able to leave very honest feedback without fear of reprisals but we all know that it's never that smooth.

Gazza
    Thanks Gazza, it's remarkable and so heartening that you take the time to respond to threads. So different from other selling sites.

The OP wrote "...I don't think there is much of a problem with this issue here. It's just an idea for if it ever becomes a problem."

One of the things we know in software development is to solve the problems NOW, not to spend time adding complexity for problems that may never occur!

My problem isn't avoiding imaginary reprisals, it's just making sales and getting feedback! Onwards and upwards!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    One of the things we know in software development is to solve the problems NOW, not to spend time adding complexity for problems that may never occur!
    Just giving users the option to delay feedback by 75 days is quite simple. If eBid ever gets more popular, it will likely develop the same feedback issue that eBay did, and eBid can be the first to implement a working solution to the problem, where feedback cannot be influenced by feedback received in the opposite direction.

Thread Information