eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer help please - quite urgent.

Default Computer help please - quite urgent.

As my camera would not accept a memory card, I have purchased a USB cable.
    Have plugged cable into port and WOW!!! just massively bright flashing colours on the screen. Tried turning off monitor and then back on - still flashing.
    Had to totally close everything down.
    Restarted and then had to wait while Windows 10 updated and restarted.
    Don't want to try again until some advice as to why this happened please.
    Thank you.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Computer help please - quite urgent.

That's camera plugged directly in to computer via usb? (I can't answer but I can ask the questions I think the people who can answer will ask)
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

[QUOTE=madelaine;1701642]That's camera plugged directly in to computer via usb? (I can't answer but I can ask the questions I think the people who can answer will ask)[/QUOTE

Isn't that what I said??? (In so many words).

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=love_to_stitch;1701643]
    Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    That's camera plugged directly in to computer via usb? (I can't answer but I can ask the questions I think the people who can answer will ask)[/QUOTE

Isn't that what I said??? (In so many words).
    Sorry I bothered - it is an unusual thing to do.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

If Windows was in the process of updating, then it could have been bad trying to plug in another device. The flashing is more troubling: might be software, or something wrong with the USB cable itself. Do you have another device with which to try the cable? There are also more than one version (USB, USB A, USB B, USB C) and type (1, 2, 3 in various plug sizes/configurations) of USB cable and connector, so you may want to check your computer documentation to verify what USB (version and type) port it has, then be certain the end of the USB cable you are plugging into your computer from your camera matches.

Thanks for that, rocks2dust. I don't think the computer was in the process of updating - more a case of the malfunction causing it to do so.
    To be honest, I simply checked that the USB cable purchased was compatible with my camera. Not techie enough to think outside the box (or even inside it)

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    Have plugged cable into port and WOW!!! just massively bright flashing colours on the screen. Tried turning off monitor and then back on - still flashing.
    Thank you.

As I am a Linux user not a Windows user I asked the question "how to introduce new hardware to Windows 10" on google and found the following from Windows Central:

A device driver is an essential piece of code that allows Windows 10 to interact with the components and peripherals (such as graphics cards, network adapters, mice, keyboards, and printers).

(and, I assume, new hardware such as camera's)

Windows automatically downloads and installs device drivers, which means that generally, you don't have to deal with them. However, there might be times when you need to install an update for many reasons. For example, when a piece of hardware isn't recognized automatically, suddenly stops working correctly, or a fix for a severe bug has released, or support for a new version of the OS is required.

The article then gives advice on what to do.

Here's the link and I hope it helps:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...ers-windows-10

Last edited by cheaver; 12th July 2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    Thank you.

Several questions:
    1) Did your camera ever accept a memory card? I have the impression that it did, but that its card reader (the part you put the card into) has failed.
    2) When the camera was new, did it come with a usb cable for transfer? If you have lost the "destructions" do an online search. (If you let me know make and model I'll see what I can find out)

At the moment re (1) - my guess is that it used to work with a card but that the camera's card reader has failed. This may be hardware or firmware (both internal to the camera) in which case there is little that can be done without changing the camera. It is rarely economic sense to repair I am afraid.. That same firmware would be usng the USB port as well, so ths is the cause of the problem.

USB normally has 4 connections: 2 x earth, 1 x data and 1 x positive line (5 volts). As you have never connected your camera via usb before, it is possible that it must have NO internal batteries when using usb. Bear this n mind as we try to find out exactly what camera this is.

Let me know either here or via PM and I'll try to help further.
    Last edited by cambrensis; 12th July 2018 at 08:06 AM.

Hi Cheaver,
    Many thanks for taking the time to help - I appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, the camera is not being recognized whatever route I take so think it has had its day.

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Several questions:
    1) Did your camera ever accept a memory card? I have the impression that it did, but that its card reader (the part you put the card into) has failed.
    2) When the camera was new, did it come with a usb cable for transfer? If you have lost the "destructions" do an online search. (If you let me know make and model I'll see what I can find out)

At the moment re (1) - my guess is that it used to work with a card but that the camera's card reader has failed. This may be hardware or firmware (both internal to the camera) in which case there is little that can be done without changing the camera. It is rarely economic sense to repair I am afraid.. That same firmware would be usng the USB port as well, so ths is the cause of the problem.

USB normally has 4 connections: 2 x earth, 1 x data and 1 x positive line (5 volts). As you have never connected your camera via usb before, it is possible that it must have NO internal batteries when using usb. Bear this n mind as we try to find out exactly what camera this is.

Let me know either here or via PM and I'll try to help further.
    Hi Cambrensis,

Yes, you are right: the memory card had failed on this camera which is a very old Kodak DX7440. It kept telling me the card needed formatting - it didn't.
    I no longer have all the gubbins that came with the camera - including the USB lead - so purchased another.
    I have another camera and will use that. No huge problem but the 'document' setting on the DX7440 gave far superior pictures.

Thank you for taking the time to help - it is appreciated, as always x

Thread Information