eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Urgent National Frozen Veg Recall after nine dead - UK & EU

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Urgent National Frozen Veg Recall after nine dead - UK & EU

Borrowed from Facebook: 9 people dead following Listeria outbreak – Tesco, Aldi, Waitrose, Iceland, Lidl, Aldi – Issue Product recall.

Please please check on old people and loved ones who may not be in the loop, listeria can be more serious for people who have weakened immune systems.

Full 43 product list for recall is shown as follows issued by the FSA - here

We've just thrown out 2 bags of frozen veg from Tesco & Lidl mentioned on above list - the culprit appears to be Sweetcorn.

Default Re: Urgent National Frozen Veg Recall after nine dead - UK & EU

Thanks for the warning, but I'm puzzled. If the veg are heated in the microwave to the point where they're steaming (and why wouldn't they be?) then wouldn't the steam kill the bacteria?

Isn't it only prions (e.g. mad cow disease) that can survive boiling?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

The deaths are all deaths from listeria in Europe this year and, yes, cooking properly will kill it - it's just that people don't always do that.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Six new items have now been added to the list of items recalled by Greenyard Frozen UK Ltd, which produced the food.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has warned that frozen sweetcorn is the likely source of listeriosis affecting five European countries, including the UK, which has reportedly claimed the lives of several people.

Listeriosis is a rare but serious foodborne illness caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes that can be more serious for those individuals who have weakened immune systems, and also the elderly, pregnant women and infants.

In a statement the FSA said:" If you have bought any of the below products do not eat them. Instead, return the product to the store from where it was bought for a full refund.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...rkets-14877769

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'll never understand why people buy frozen when fresh vegetables are in abundance, taste nicer, no additives and are easy to prepare and cook. Even when OH is away for 3 months I'll cook fresh veg for one and the only frozen veg I use are peas.

Then again, I'm one of the older age group taught to use fresh veg.

You also have to remember the plastic used in the packaging of this frozen veg too.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I'll never understand why people buy frozen when fresh vegetables are in abundance, taste nicer, no additives and are easy to prepare and cook. Even when OH is away for 3 months I'll cook fresh veg for one and the only frozen veg I use are peas.

Then again, I'm one of the older age group taught to use fresh veg.

You also have to remember the plastic used in the packaging of this frozen veg too.
    I agree. Indeed all this sunshine has worked powerful magic with my veg patch and I've started giving away courgettes and beans to my neighbours (one of whom gives us eggs).

But Gill, I suspect the reason is that frozen veg are often cheaper and people are on a tight budget these days. There tends to be less waste too.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information