Home
Buy on eBid
Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Technical/programming question

  1. #1
    Forum Master sherlock07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts
    1,646

    Default Technical/programming question

    Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a script/scheduling program that could be used to run say a powerpoint presentation at a particular time/day

    I am thinking if the presentation files were called something like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc.

    Could this be achieved.

    Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store





  2. #2

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    I have a vague recollection of a friend explaining how he did something like this (for training) via a linkedin program. I think this is the main url...

    https://www.slideshare.net/


    Have a feeking it was this that he was speaking of:

    https://www.linkedin.com/learning/po...e-presentation


    Will check with him later in the week.
    Last edited by cambrensis; 3rd July 2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: additional info

  3. #3
    Forum Master sherlock07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts
    1,646

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    I have a vague recollection of a friend explaining how he did something like this (for training) via a linkedin program. I think this is the main url...

    https://www.slideshare.net/


    Have a feeking it was this that he was speaking of:

    https://www.linkedin.com/learning/po...e-presentation


    Will check with him later in the week.
    Thanks for that, I will have a look later. Should have said does not have to be powerpoint can be almost anything word, excel some other program.

    We need to create a sort of message board that lists the activities that are going on each day in the church where I work, the church and it's hall are in use daily with something going on in one room or another. example wednesday in the part I work in
    there is.

    Day centre for the over 50's in the choir room lounge 09:30 - 12:00
    Day center lunch in Choir room 12:00 - 12:30
    Entertainment for the day center 12:30 - 14:30 with afternoon tea.

    Fresh Fruit and Veg Market in the Choir Room 10:00 - 13:00

    Job Club in the Small Chapel 13:30 - 15:30

    and that is just the group I work in. there are other groups as well and we need to inform about their activities.

    Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store





  4. #4
    Forum Saint astral276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Grantham, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View astral276's Feedback (+184)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts
    18,722

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Windows has a Task Scheduler, if you're using Windows that may suffice.



    Support Your Country.

  5. #5
    Forum Master sherlock07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts
    1,646

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Windows has a Task Scheduler, if you're using Windows that may suffice.
    I had seen that and on initial investigation it did not seem to be right for what I need, but further checks and a bit of trial and error today, I feel that I can achieve it with task scheduler.

    It might be a few weeks before I can test it in a live environment, but will let you know if it worked.

    Thank to all who helped.

    Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store





  6. #6

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Wish I'd realised this earlier, Sherlock as I was at a Knoghts meeting at my local church tonight. One of the brothers organises such a system for the main Parish church and I could have picked his brains!

    I arrived home half an hour ago, so will 'phone him tomorrow!

    I have a feeling it's done via the calendar/diary functions...but I'll check to see if he can supply details.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    You can start LibreOffice from a command prompt, followed by the parameter -show and a filename.

    So do that using the task scheduler in Windows, or cron in Linux.
    Click for bargain auctions!

    Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Astral and Johnwash have hit itm Sherlock!

    I did speak with my friend this morning and would have come back earlier, but am just recovering from a rather nasty fall last night. Everything is a big effort at the moment.

    From what he said, this is exact;y what he does.

  9. #9
    Forum Saint burgyeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States
    View burgyeb's Feedback (+928)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts
    7,106

    Default Re: Technical/programming question

    Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Thanks for that, I will have a look later. Should have said does not have to be powerpoint can be almost anything word, excel some other program.

    We need to create a sort of message board that lists the activities that are going on each day in the church where I work, the church and it's hall are in use daily with something going on in one room or another. example wednesday in the part I work in
    there is.

    Day centre for the over 50's in the choir room lounge 09:30 - 12:00
    Day center lunch in Choir room 12:00 - 12:30
    Entertainment for the day center 12:30 - 14:30 with afternoon tea.

    Fresh Fruit and Veg Market in the Choir Room 10:00 - 13:00

    Job Club in the Small Chapel 13:30 - 15:30

    and that is just the group I work in. there are other groups as well and we need to inform about their activities.


    Sounds like a fun church. Thanks for posting the technical question; the information could prove quite helpful at some point in time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow Us
New To eBid?
Register for Free