Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Garden Pond

Default Wildlife Garden Pond

I am thinking of constructing a wildlife pond. It will only be small - approx. 3' x 4'. I don't want any fish, just want tadpoles and froglets.
    I am all ready to go. HOWEVER, I read an article by Monty Don over the weekend, in which he said grass snakes are often seen by garden ponds. And, I tell you folks, if I ever spotted a snake in our garden, I would never venture out there again!!!
    So, the question I am asking is, have any of you with wildlife ponds every seen a snake?

(Please say 'no')

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Wildlife Garden Pond

We had a pond in our previous garden, but never saw a snake. Just a big toad

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    We had a pond in our previous garden, but never saw a snake. Just a big toad
    Not too keen on toads either. Just want tadpoles and froglets.

Guess I can't be too choosy

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

we had a pond at our previous house never saw any snakes but it was on a farm
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

I'm probably being a bit silly, but I really do hate snakes. Even seeing one on the television can give me nightmares.

Nope never seen a snake by our pond. We have newts, frogs and toads and get quite a few beautiful dragonflies. Unfortunately with the last harsh winter we lost a lot of newts as the ice was so thick for so long but I hope they will make a return soon.

Well, thank you everybody, that is most encouraging- and reassuring

Will start digging in a few weeks

Yes, we've seen snakes by our ponds. This is in a rural area, however. I don't think they come because of the pond itself, but rather because they are already around and because of the other wildlife that may be attracted to the pond. In an urban or suburban area where you don't normally see snakes, I wouldn't worry about them coming from afar to haunt your pond. We do keep fish in our larger pond to keep down mosquitoes and algae. Frogs visit our smaller pond. Birds also make use of them (we occasionally have herons stop to hunt fish). A worthwhile project.

Oh, my goodness, rocks2dust. If I lived where you live I would never set foot outside the door!!!

Glad to see you are not UK based

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    Oh, my goodness, rocks2dust. If I lived where you live I would never set foot outside the door!!!
    You likely would. It is unusual to see a snake here, they are such shy creatures and well-disguised. I'd prefer not to see them, myself (they certainly provoke a reaction, even when they are fleeing away). In desert climes such as this, all sorts of animals are attracted to water sources, however. Most visitors to touristy areas here aren't even aware that snakes are around. Most are harmless (the snakes, not the tourists)
    Name:  2016may002.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  85.7 KB
    If you do add a small pond, make sure to include some floating water plants. They allow fish and tadpoles places to hide, clarify the water, and also give adult frogs an easier way to climb/jump out.
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 16th June 2018 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information