eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GDPR Question

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default GDPR Question

I'm not quite sure what the EU GDPR rule is and how it affects us here at eBid USA. It would be helpful if someone from eBid would explain it to us or me. Frankly, from what I've been able to ascertain, the EU people that made the rule are not completely sure of how it is going to work. I thought that being in the UK and more familiar with the EU, someone at eBid would be more knowledgeable on the subject.

For example: Are we now required to post our businesses physical location as I once was under my state's auction laws? If so, is it sufficient to put it in the about me page or does it need to be included in every listing?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: GDPR Question

As you're on Facebook, suggest you join this GDPR group run by a UK Data Information lawyer: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GDPRandyou/
    and ask your above question there.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what the EU GDPR rule is and how it affects us here at eBid USA. It would be helpful if someone from eBid would explain it to us or me. Frankly, from what I've been able to ascertain, the EU people that made the rule are not completely sure of how it is going to work. I thought that being in the UK and more familiar with the EU, someone at eBid would be more knowledgeable on the subject.

For example: Are we now required to post our businesses physical location as I once was under my state's auction laws? If so, is it sufficient to put it in the about me page or does it need to be included in every listing?
    ​I've tried to get around this by putting a new privacy policy on my about me page which says people can contact me by using the details they will find at the bottom of their purchase transaction. I hope this will be enough to be covered.

I added a post to the other thread started by JaBek with details of the various responses, or not, I've encountered so far.

RE. the physical location of businesses. On a thread on that other site two business sellers were consoling each other as they had both closed their shops on a third platform beginning with "E" because they were not willing to add their home addresses, for all to see, to their shops.

Confusion everywhere it seems.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=Anniemcc2;1700465]As you're on Facebook, suggest you join this GDPR group run by a UK Data Information lawyer: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GDPRandyou/
    and ask your above question there.[/QUOT

I'll probably check that out, but quite frankly, I'm more than a tad bit skeptical about what I see posted on Facebook.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well I'm not sure if that would be sufficient, Becky. When I was still actively engaged in operating my auction business, I was required to have my physical address posted along with my license numbers. However, since I've retired from acting as an agent for people selling their items at auction, I'm not required to be licensed as such. Since there is no special AU or AB licensing required here to sell your own goods at auction, I removed that information from my about me page. Of course, if need be I can add the physical address back in.

I'm not particularly concerned about it since the business address is a matter of public record anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Well I'm not sure if that would be sufficient, Becky. When I was still actively engaged in operating my auction business, I was required to have my physical address posted along with my license numbers. However, since I've retired from acting as an agent for people selling their items at auction, I'm not required to be licensed as such. Since there is no special AU or AB licensing required here to sell your own goods at auction, I removed that information from my about me page. Of course, if need be I can add the physical address back in.

I'm not particularly concerned about it since the business address is a matter of public record anyway.

Well as a sole trader and not having a business premises I wouldn't really want to publish my home address for all to see, I would consider that as an invasion of my privacy. I would also think this rather dangerous especially if you are someone that sells high end items as it would be an invitation for burglary. As yet, thankfully, I've had no instruction that this is required.

Of course my genuine customers get my address details, which is fine, but having to display my home address for all and sundry to see would make me think twice about carrying on selling online.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

Well as a sole trader and not having a business premises I wouldn't really want to publish my home address for all to see, I would consider that as an invasion of my privacy. I would also think this rather dangerous especially if you are someone that sells high end items as it would be an invitation for burglary. As yet, thankfully, I've had no instruction that this is required.

Of course my genuine customers get my address details, which is fine, but having to display my home address for all and sundry to see would make me think twice about carrying on selling online.
    Unfortunately it appears every business seller on Ebid is breaking the law. Under the Online and Distance Selling regulations it states "Before an order is placed You must provide: your business name, contact details and address." Plus a lot of other things. See here for further details: https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distan...for-businesses. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

It might be a good idea if this thread and the GDPR thread in @Kitchen were merged.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidliterature View Post
    Unfortunately it appears every business seller on Ebid is breaking the law. Under the Online and Distance Selling regulations it states "Before an order is placed You must provide: your business name, contact details and address." Plus a lot of other things. See here for further details: https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distan...for-businesses. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
    Yes I already knew that, however eBid have never requested this. eBid display their own address and it could well be argued that purchasers do get the seller's address before they have to pay and complete a transaction. So in my own opinion no law is broken, an order isn't complete until it's payed for.
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 3rd June 2018 at 11:58 AM.

Thread Information