eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - how does it affect us?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - how does it affect us?

The reason I'm asking is how long should we keep emails and payment details for sales?

At a glance
    | Your data rights

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a tough regulation regime for companies that gather personal data, introduced by the EU in April 2016. Enforcement begins 25 May 2018.
    The GDPR legislates eight data rights for individuals:

1. Right to be informed – You must be clearly informed when your data is collected and the purpose for which it is intended.
    2. Right of access – You must be allowed to view the data companies have gathered on you.
    3. Right to rectification – You have the right to correct erroneous information about yourself in a company’s data records.
    4. Right of erasure – Also known as the “right to be forgotten”. You have the right to request the deletion of personal data held on you, although this right is not absolute.
    5. Right to restrict processing – You can request the suppression of your personal data file, or restrict its processing.
    6. Right to data portability – You have the right to take the data a company has collected on you and share it elsewhere, eg. to get a better customer deal.
    7. Right to object – You have the right to object and prevent your data being used for particular purposes, eg. for direct marketing. This right is superseded by legal claims.
    8. Rights related to automatic decision-making – You may only be profiled with your explicit consent, where this is necessary to enter into a contract or where such processing is authorised by the state.

Post-Brexit the UK is likely to introduce its own equivalent data protection law. In any case, companies which gather data on EU citizens will have to abide by the GDPR.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - how does it affect us?

Unless you are a company then probably not at all.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - how does it affect us?

It might apply to anyone registered as a business. It might not be necessary to be a company.

I don't know if this is relevant in this case but when I used to work for a solicitor some years ago the general files had to be kept for a period of six years before they could be disposed of. Others had to be kept longer for special cases like child protection etc.

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Who else is being inundated with emails begging you stay on email newsletter lists?

Also, after the Windrush debacle over their Landing cards, there is now a real risk of important genealogical information being destroyed.

Working my way through saved details from previous sales [which came in handy when doing stock checks and finding something listed that I knew had been sold and being able to prove it]
    Compost bin is having a ton of sheddings added to it!

I am getting inundated by people and firms i have never heard of, i am just binning them, they will do what they want anyway, i can't see what all the fuss is about.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

GDPR emails are coming up several times a day.

I actually appreciate this because it gives me chance to weed out the lists I no longer want to be on; where I bought something years ago and no longer have any interest, and some I have never heard of.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

This regulation will probably sink into the mists of time, bit like the one about web sites having to tell people that the site uses cookies. I have never read about any firms being taken to court for violating this regulation. Of course that might be because sometime after the regulation was enacted it was pointed out that the official EU web site did not comply with this regulation.

I suspect some large firms will be investigated but I doubt if people like us will be. I was always told that records should be kept for a minimum of 6 years [as Becky pointed out in a previous post]. While this probably only legally applies to companies and people registered as a business, it is probably a good idea for private individuals too.

Anniemcc2 says she is busy shredding details of previous sales. Why? These are for legitimate business use and aren’t being shared with anyone else. Also who is going to know you have these records, especially if they are not stored on line. So probably best to carry on as you have been doing and not worry about this type of regulation.

I think Bill is right; it is a good time to cut done the number of emails you receive and just re-register with ones that are of interest.

View poppyrowan's Feedback (+127)
    All-About poppyrowan
    View poppyrowan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Apparently if you are in or sell to an EU country, it applies to you whether you are a company or not. Its about being open and transparent in selling, and unfortunately one of the legislations is that you must provide a physical address to any EU prospective customer on your info page.
    There are also regulations such as allowing EU customers 14 days as a cooling off period, and also to publish a privacy policy detailing what you do with, and how you store and for how long customers details are kept, and for what reason.
    Not being a " business" as such is no excuse as I have found on another selling platform.
    This GDPR ...or General Data Protection Regulations is a big deal and a legal requirement now, and one that ebid also has to adhere to on their privacy policy.
    I believe today was the cut off day when it should have been implemented.
    I tried to argue that I was just selling some stuff of my own at very little profit or even a loss, but apparently I am offering items for pecuniary advantage which makes me a business.

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Copied this comment from the eBid Army thread:

Quote Originally Posted by liquidliterature View Post
    No. You may keep (address) lists for personal use without breaking this new law.

However I have just found this "From 25 May 2018, the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 requires every organisation or sole trader who processes personal information to pay a data protection fee to the ICO, unless they are exempt."

You can find out if you are exempt her: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...lf-assessment/

I just hope they concentrate on major organisations and leave sole traders alone.

Thread Information