Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: how do you replace entire description with bulk editor?

Forum Newbie
    View KCAuto's Feedback (+8)
    All-About KCAuto
    View KCAuto's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default how do you replace entire description with bulk editor?

ok, i found the new post button. the question i have is how to replace the complete description with another in bulk editor. i find the add. but i can not figure out a wildcard string using the ##thru##. i need to completely clear the descriptions. i can not find any help sections on the wildcard string, and no matter what i type in the forum search box, it brings up the same threads ...
    Last edited by KCAuto; 9th July 2019 at 01:58 AM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: how do you replace entire description with bulk editor?

First thing to point out is that the Bulk Edit 'Replace' function works internally at the HTML level. All characters, including non visible ones, must match or the function will fail.

Second, I don't think it was designed with totally changing a description in mind. How can all your items for sale have exactly the same description?

That said the following should work (assuming all your descriptions are currently the same - which I haven't checked):

Name:  20190709_113750.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  14.0 KB

Note: It is always a good idea to make a backup of your listings before running Bulk Edit just in case things go awry.
    Last edited by astral276; 9th July 2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: "'is" not "I'd" - Stupid predictive text

Forum Newbie
    All-About KCAuto
    View KCAuto's Listings
    Forum Posts

thank you for the clarification, as far as all listings being the same, no. most everything i have are used auto parts. but if i change one type of part, like sun visor retainer clips, then the description pretty much remains the same, with just the title difference, which denotes the year make model info etc, for search. the bad thing is that the current descriptions which have been imported in from another site have been updated and changed over several years, so none are quite the same. this is why i am trying to figure out a blanket wildcard search and replace.

Forum Newbie
    All-About KCAuto
    View KCAuto's Listings
    Forum Posts

thank you. once i understood how to use the ##thru##, i figured out i can add '...' to bulk edit, run it, then duplicate and run it again with replace <##thru##(EDT)</B></P> with my new description format... then do individual edits where i need to. for most like car manuals and sunvisor retainer clips all the pertinent information fits in the title

Thread Information