eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: House of Lords

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default House of Lords

I notice there's a petition to abolish the House of Lords on the Kitchen Table. The OP obviously hasn't checked the Labour Party's position https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...0-pledge-scrap

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: House of Lords

Much as I appreciate the information in your message, perhaps you should know that my security came up with four malicious link warnings when I opened it.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: House of Lords

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Much as I appreciate the information in your message, perhaps you should know that my security came up with four malicious link warnings when I opened it.
    Hmmm no problems on my computer, maybe yours is a bit over-sensitive . I'll copy and paste the content instead.

Peers in the House of LordsCredit:
    PA Images The Labour leader, a long-term proponent of Lords reform, said the upper chamber is dominated by “a small number of people from London and the south east” and should be more representative.
    Mr Corbyn said the party would debate the issue before reaching a fixed position, but stressed that he would like for the proposal to feature in Labour’s 2020 manifesto.
    Hereditary peer complains Lords is a 'dumping ground' for former MPs

Conservative hereditary peers try to torpedo Lords reform bill

Wes Streeting MP: Labour Lords will fight student loan repayment 'scandal'

Explaining why he thought the political system is “rigged”, he told the Andrew Marr show: “We have a House of Lords which is dominated by a small number of people from London and the south east.

“I would want to see an elected second chamber that it is representative of all regions and nations of the United Kingdom. I think that’s very, very important. I think it should have an electoral mandate to go with it.”
    He added: “It is not a new concept, it’s been in debate for a very long time. I would like us to get to that position by 2020.”
    Mr Corbyn floated the idea of scrapping the House of Lords in August while campaigning during last year’s Labour leadership contest against Owen Smith.
    Expanding on his ideas this morning, the Labour leader called for greater political representation in the north of England and said he would set up a constitutional convention before the next election.
    Labour in 2015 pledged to replace the Upper Chamber with “an elected Senate of the Nations and Regions, to represent every part of the United Kingdom, and improve the democratic legitimacy of the second chamber.”
    Chuka Umunna, who was the party’s business spokesperson heading into the last election, tweeted:

Labour peers have forced a number of government climbdowns this parliament, including George Osborne’s decision to scrap planned cuts to working tax credits.

Thread Information