eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up for U.S. sellers! An ugly change by USPS.

Default Heads up for U.S. sellers! An ugly change by USPS.

The United States Postal Service has made a nasty change in one of its categories.

A large envelope (anything 6 by 11½ by ¼ inches or larger) that contains any merchandise can no longer be shipped to another country as First Class Mail They must now be shipped as an International Package. The postage charge will be much, much, much higher than the amount asked in the listing for a first-class envelope.

U.S. sellers of magazines, art prints, calendars, and similar items should update their listings as soon as possible. The buyer won't be aware of this, and eBid has no way to sort it out.

I'm using the Bulk Edit. I suggest other U.S. sellers do the same as soon as possible.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Heads up for U.S. sellers! An ugly change by USPS.

Thanks for the info. I have several that fit this so was trying to bulk edit. It looked like it worked but when I checked 20 minutes later they had not been changed. I was just trying to make the shipping to US only for now. Did you get it to work for you?

Yes, the bulk edit sometimes takes a long time.

It did work for me, and like you, the only change I made was to decline International Shipping. No one is going to pay those huge amounts to ship a magazine or art print! I'm really disappointed in the Post Office.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Yes, the bulk edit sometimes takes a long time.

It did work for me, and like you, the only change I made was to decline International Shipping. No one is going to pay those huge amounts to ship a magazine or art print! I'm really disappointed in the Post Office.
    I would keep your International Shipping. It is amazing what carriage charges a buyer will pay if they really want the item. As long as they know what the carriage charge is upfront it's up to them. It costs you nothing to include International Shipping.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

No one is going to pay those huge amounts to ship a magazine or art print!
    Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I would keep your International Shipping. It is amazing what carriage charges a buyer will pay if they really want the item. As long as they know what the carriage charge is upfront it's up to them. It costs you nothing to include International Shipping.
    I agree with Tony (Is this a first? ) that you should let the buyer decide if they want the item enough to pay the shipping costs.

When I first started selling here I didn't list items overseas where I felt shipping was prohibitive. Then after many queries from potential buyers of "Would you be willing to make this item available for me to buy?" I realised my approach was totally wrong.

That was just those who had taken the trouble to ask. How many just walked away from purchasing and I lost a sale is unknown.

The charge for mailing a 6 ounce envelope containing a magazine to most countries is now around $14.00. The price for the majority of the ones we offer is between $10 and $30 (slightly below the prices asked on other sites for the same issues). They're not extremely rare, just vintage and interesting.

Do you really think someone would pay that much postage?

The charge for mailing a 6 ounce envelope containing a magazine to most countries is now around $14.00. The price for the majority of the ones we offer is between $10 and $30 (slightly below the prices asked on other sites for the same issues). They're not extremely rare, just vintage and interesting.

Do you really think someone would pay that much postage?
    Actually, have had it happen more than once! Have always charged package rate so there is tracking. Most of my magazines sell for only a few dollars plus minimum international package rate of $14.00 I'm always pleasantly surprised.

OK, back to the drawing board.

Thank you for the information!

OK, back to the drawing board.

Thank you for the information!
    You're welcome. Always figure there is no harm in offering listings to as wide a market as possible.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with all the English sellers/members Tia as my husband buys from the US if it's something he wants and he can't find here in the UK. He will pay the postage.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Thread Information