Thread: pics are uploading upside down

Forum Newbie
    Kirton Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View daxica1's Feedback (+564)
    All-About daxica1
    View daxica1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default pics are uploading upside down

Hi I've photographed my pictures this time instead of using the scanner which is what I usually use however although they're the correct way around on my computer they're uploading to ebid upside down. The only way I've managed to change it is to actually change the pictures with paintshop pro so they are actually upside down on my computer then they upload the correct way up. any ideas why this is happening? or perhaps I should go back to scanning instead of using my phone camera.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: pics are uploading upside down

Basically,because of the software in your phone camera.Presuming it's of the "modern" variety of course.Iphone,Android etc.
    From what I can gather it's when you use landscape mode.Probably best to google it as there seems to be different solutions bandied about.
    I would guess that if you right click the pic on your computer & Open with (insert your browser here) it should show whether it's upside down or not.Not having the problem myself I can't replicate it to find out.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you find images that you upload to eBid are not oriented as you would expect, you are likely having problems caused by the orientation sensor on the device you used to capture the image.

Digital image capture devices (digital cameras, mobile phones, tablets, etc.) often have a sensor that tells the device which way the real world 'Up' is - regardless of how the device itself is oriented when the image is captured. This allows you to capture an image with the device rotated to any orientation, but still display the image correctly with the device in any orientation. You can see this in action if you rotate a device while viewing an image - the image will 'flip' to keep it the correct way up (assuming that you are the correct way up).

The orientation information is stored in what is called the 'EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) data' that is appended to the image data file. This EXIF data can also contain a myriad of other information - such as information about the device the image was captured on (maker, type, etc.) and the conditions under which the image was captured (shutter speed, exposure, flash, etc.).

Unfortunately, not all software (including eBid) understands or pays attention to the content of the EXIF data (some software even strips out the data completely if you save the image using it) which means it has no concept of what the real world 'Up' was when the image was captured, so the software can display the image rotated left, right, upside-down, or (if you are lucky) even the correct way up.

The simplest way to correct the problem under the Windows operating system is to view the image on your computer in Windows Photo Viewer and apply a rotate to correct the orientation. eBid did say they were going to add an image rotation facility to sellers' My Gallery area - but no sign of it yet.

Forum Newbie
    Kirton Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View daxica1's Feedback (+564)
    All-About daxica1
    View daxica1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi thankyou both for your help with this. I finally did it by changing all photo's needed on the computer to upside down then it uploaded the correct way up. However I appreciate your assistance with this and I'll check future ones with the windows photo viewer and see if that works for me too thanks astral.and blue thanks for your help too and its a windows phone.cheers both for the help much appreciated.

Thread Information