eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Search for Items Sold

Default Re: Search for Items Sold

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    If there are such posters then their logic is flawed. This isn't about giving the site a unique flavour, it's about making useful info accessible. When I have something to sell I want to get an idea of what price it might fetch, whether there's competition for this kind of item.

By concealing this it just makes it look as if the site owners are ashamed of those stats. It reinforces the beliefs of those who allege that this is just a site where all the owners care about is conning people into paying 49.99 for lifetime subs.
    I agree with you.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, hiding the information just makes things seem worse.

Truth is that the other places have high rates of unsold listings too. It is higher here because there are no listing fees, but we are all making use of that and most long term sellers will report items selling after many relists. This is good - the person who wanted the item found it. They would never have found it anywhere else because no-one would have listed it twice (except for a sugar bowl in my china pattern which has been being relisted for many years on the dark side - I have a saved search but don't want a sugar bowl!)
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sheffieldtony's Feedback (+1287)
    All-About sheffieldtony
    View sheffieldtony's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    I agree with you.

Me To
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/OldPostcards

Click on Link & Join EBid.
    http://www.ebid.net/uk/buddy/317570

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Yes, hiding the information just makes things seem worse.

Truth is that the other places have high rates of unsold listings too. It is higher here because there are no listing fees, but we are all making use of that and most long term sellers will report items selling after many relists. This is good - the person who wanted the item found it. They would never have found it anywhere else because no-one would have listed it twice (except for a sugar bowl in my china pattern which has been being relisted for many years on the dark side - I have a saved search but don't want a sugar bowl!)
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but no listing fees here is no longer a unique proposition. It must be at least a couple of years ago that ebay started feeling the heat and introduced special offers, e.g. no listing fees for up to 100 items a day. Special... just this month! Except that it wasn't "just this month", it kept recurring month after month. (A bit like 49.99? )

Ever since that happened I switched from listing non-selling items over here when they didn't immediately sell over there at a 99p start. Month after month I relist my peculiar items for free with just a few clicks, and after a year or two an item sells! I've tried some of them over here, but there isn't the exposure. When I get the house decluttered enough to be able to focus on Gill's beads and cabochons (which I know you're waiting for, Madelaine!), those I'll offer here, because eBid is an ideal site for craft supplies and other hobbies.

All that said, and it's digressing somewhat... apologies... this site would increase its credibility if past listings were searchable. Ebay allows searching past listings, which is very very useful, but if you're just trying to judge how successful selling is, they're not totally honest -- you can ask for 'completed listings' (i.e. sold and unsold) or 'sold listings'. Curiously the results are somewhat different, there's some filtering going on, I think, though I've not studied it in depth. Ebay, deceptive? Oh surely not!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

Free listings on the dark side? I never get them on any of my 3 accounts....
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sheffieldtony's Feedback (+1287)
    All-About sheffieldtony
    View sheffieldtony's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Free listings on the dark side? I never get them on any of my 3 accounts....

At present I have no Listings over there. But I can have 100 listings a day free. That's been on for months.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/OldPostcards

Click on Link & Join EBid.
    http://www.ebid.net/uk/buddy/317570

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

it is only available to private sellers. I get offered it but so far havent used them
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldtony View Post
    At present I have no Listings over there. But I can have 100 listings a day free. That's been on for months.
    That would explain it - one is a business account and the other two are charity accounts.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldtony View Post
    Years, actually.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Actually, they use the extra "free listings" as a lure. They trot those offers out during slow sales periods to boost their income (i.e., they boost the number of listings so that, even with less % of items sold, they can level out revenue with income from their other fees). They also hope that you'll either pay to relist during more active periods, or "upgrade" to a "store" to get additional "free" listings and relistings (how are they "free" if you are paying extra monthly to get those extra listings?). The offers of an extra 50-100 listings (not per day, but per offer) usually expire within a 3-5 days. They are usually restricted to certain categories and often carry other limitations (auction or fixed price only, relistings excluded, maximum starting price, etc.). One has to read the fine print. These offers are a gimmick, not a policy or anything on which one may rely.

With the push for a "retail shopping experience" they continue to orient toward fixed-price, mass-market items. Around a decade ago, they decided to expend their effort toward becoming another Amazon, and that is where the focus has remained (and even intesified over the last few years). They've thrown almost no effort toward the auction and one-of-a-kind side of the business at the same time that it has become ever more expensive to list there. That is about to become clearer over the next few months.

While I'm complaining about that other site, I'll note that during the time I had a store there (and before), I would regularly notice that some listings would simply evaporate (both those waiting to be relisted and live) with no trace left behind. A logistical problem for me, as I expend a great deal of time creating descriptions and photos, only to come across things in my "active" box no longer listed on the site and with listings, descriptions and photos needing to be re-uploaded (or redone entirely). Some OOAK items can take a long time for a OOAK buyer to find them, but the people running the show seemed to want more turnover and randomly deleted listings with no warning or explanation. That just underlined (to me) how far away the focus had turned away from the auction and OOAK segment.
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 11th April 2018 at 06:19 PM.

Thread Information