My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Collection in Person.

Default Collection in Person.

Thanks for making it clearer to buyers that they can't opt for Free Shipping for items listed as Collection in Person.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Collection in Person.

I don't use this but it sounds good to me.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

That would be cool.. where's that option? I did not find it , though I wanted to offer it as an option for local buyers.. (in addition to other options) - But did not see it in the list?
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Hi, both "Free Shipping" and "Collection in Person" are on the list of shipping options. My thanks were in response to how "Collection in Person" was shown on a listing being altered.

Some months ago there was a thread pointing out that however it was shown at the time, I cannot now remember, when used on a listing it suggested that the buyer could chose to collect OR the seller would ship for free. I replied to the thread that I had several pieces of glass that I doubted would survive any kind of shipping but would like to list as Collection In Person. I then added whatever clarification I thought would be better to the "Suggestions" Board.

It was adopted and now reads "Collection in Person = Free Shipping".

If you have a look at my listing for "Art Deco Rare Samuel Reich Uranium Bowl" you'll see what I mean, it is much clearer that the item is "Collection Only" and will not be shipped .
    Last edited by theElench; 2nd February 2021 at 07:32 PM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Ohhhh! I see now.. Unfortunately, the only way to add that option is to use flat fee shipping - It is not offered when using calculated shipping - So, It isn't available for me - I would like to be able to offer the option to collect in person (Local Pickup option, where shipping is not added to the invoice, but warning that item will NOT be shipped) in addition to regular shipping options (for non-local buyers) - Because of my items, it really is not feasible to offer free shipping or flat fee shipping (even things of the same size will have different weights depending on what woods are used) So, I am not able to offer that as a shipping option (other than my listing description where I do mention I offer local pickup for local buyers visiting my shop, but have to hope they'll wait for an invoice and that they'll tell me they want to pick up the item in person)
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

I can see your problem, being a gardener I know how two similar size pieces of wood will weigh very differently.

Until the recent change I never offered Collection in Person but one of my earliest sales here was for several 1930's cocktail glasses made of very thin glass, very angular and delicate. The buyer paid with paypal and when I came to write the address label, saw that they lived about 10 miles away.

I just messaged them and asked if rather than risk the post, would they like to collect. They were happy to, I gave them their postage back in cash, only losing a few pence. Which I was happy to do rather than risk having to refund for any broken glasses.

In that case it was the risk of breakage that persuaded them. Perhaps these days your buyers would prefer to get the item today, by collecting, rather than several days later, by post. Sometimes just making the buyer aware that the options given are not the only options available is enough to persuade them. In the UK some buyers are reluctant to question anything in a listing, for fear of appearing to be an awkward customer, but if you broach the subject for them.........?

Yeah that is my current strategy - if a local buyer pops up, I'll message them and see if they want to arrange a "porch pickup" or I can deliver it myself if I get to keep the postage .. (chances are it'll cost me more in gas and time than the postage would come to anyhow)

Thread Information