Thread: Combined postage

Forum Newbie
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View monty57's Feedback (+9)
    All-About monty57
    View monty57's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Combined postage

What is the best way to offer combined postage for multiple purchases, please?

Default Re: Combined postage

You could use the bulk edit and Use ADD in the description part to put something stating you will combine postage on multiple purchases - whatever you prefer really

It will appear at the bottom of the description window unless someone else knows a way to make it go to the top etc

Test it on one listing only until your happy with it then you can do bulk edit and have it on all your listings

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monty57 View Post
    What is the best way to offer combined postage for multiple purchases, please?
    Now is the time to create your About Me page with all the necessary information concerning transactions, shipments, payments etc. A link to your About Me page on all of your listings is all you need ~ when you need to make changes, you just need your About Me page to do this.
    Check out my About Me page for ideas.

Depending on what you sell if your items are all a similar weight you can enable multi item checkout in your defaults on your My eBid page.
    If you sell items of different weights like me then you can send a combined invoice to your customer and adjust the postage rate for them. Just put a note on your listings to say you are happy to offer combined postage rates.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

While I have no problem with offering discounted shipping for large purchases, I do not specify it in listings. If a buyer merely buys a couple of items there is no reason to offer much of a discount on shipping. Actually, it makes more sense to offer good repeat customers a discount on the price of items rather than on S&H which sellers should be billing at reasonable rates for all customers.

For example: if a buyer purchases three items which can be shipped together it is reasonable to combine them in the same shipment and bill for it according to the cost of shipping the whole thing. Unfortunately, most systems don't permit this when items vary in size and weight. Unless, of course, the items are billed together on a single invoice and the buyer waits for that invoice to pay.

However, let's say a buyer orders two gross of a product from you. I would be more inclined to offer the buyer, especially if a regular one, a discount on the product. After all, it is going to cost you more to ship the larger order simply because of its size and weight. The formula I use is to take the actual shipping cost, plus one handling charge to cover the packaging and handling for the one shipment. Here again, it will require communication with the buyer and them waiting for the final invoice. Something that is not easily accomplished with most online selling platforms and practically impossible when payment with order or immediate payment is required.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriCrafts View Post
    Now is the time to create your About Me page with all the necessary information concerning transactions, shipments, payments etc. A link to your About Me page on all of your listings is all you need ~ when you need to make changes, you just need your About Me page to do this.
    Check out my About Me page for ideas.
    You canNOT be serious! [Apologies to McEnroe fans]

I'm giggling at the idea of the average buyer even reading the description, let alone going to your About Me page.

Users now have touchscreens on small mobile devices, which they operate with a DWIM finger. When something disappoints them, it's allegedly YOUR fault. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

And, before you ask, yes, I'm having a bad day! :/

Normal service with lovely buyers will be resumed ASAP.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    You canNOT be serious! [Apologies to McEnroe fans]

I'm giggling at the idea of the average buyer even reading the description, let alone going to your About Me page.

Users now have touchscreens on small mobile devices, which they operate with a DWIM finger. When something disappoints them, it's allegedly YOUR fault. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

And, before you ask, yes, I'm having a bad day! :/

Normal service with lovely buyers will be resumed ASAP.
    Attachment 58211

I put a note explaining that I offer combined shipping in both the About Me and in each listing. That said, many folks barely seem to read down much beyond the title and price: a behavior that has only increased over the years in lock-step with the use of phones to shop.

So long as all a person's buys are shipping to the same address, I've combined and refunded the excess postage. My policy is to ship out within 24 hours of receiving payment, so unless the customer holds off paying until after the last of the items on which they are bidding closes, I ship and cannot combine. Some customers seem to want their buy shipped quickly, regardless of the significant extra cost that can impose, and aren't willing to wait to pay. I've also had a few over the years who say that they would like to wait to pay and never come back to pay at all. Understanding people is a vexed task.
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 31st March 2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriCrafts View Post
    Thanks Jan. Was that a pat or a clout? Probably deserved, either way!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now that paypal dont refund fees buyers must wait for their invoices! But buyers dont read instructions or their emails it seems! Maybe blackballing them might make them listen.

Thread Information