eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local collection: do sellers find this successful on eBid?

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Local collection: do sellers find this successful on eBid?

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I have twice bought furniture on the dark side, paid cash and then, for free, given the seller a lecture on why they shouldn't take paypal when the item is either personally delivered or collected.

Unfortunately you cannot list there without offering PayPal

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, I know - when I was selling furniture I put it in the listing that I wanted cash even though paypal was offered.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Yes, I know - when I was selling furniture I put it in the listing that I wanted cash even though paypal was offered.
    And that's my problem. It used to work, but nowadays it doesn't.

I had another local collection only sale today. Nice buyer, arrived promptly, he'd already paid £20 by paypal. I asked him why, he said "Oh, I just buy everything through paypal, I just hit the pay now button". I don't think there was any evil intent, but I gave him the standard lecture, i.e. it costs me money and there are scammers who do chargebacks due to no tracking.

This was an auction where I'd included "Local collection, so CASH ONLY, NO PAYPAL THANKS." in the (not particularly long) description. Is reading becoming a lost art?

Unfortunately many of my items are rather niche, even for ebay, where it usually takes several 30 day relists. But I will be shifting all such items to ebid and resigning myself to it taking a year or two.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I must hang my head in shame, for I list relatively few items here, whereas I usually have close to 200 on the other site.

I guess it's the increasing use of smartphones, or impatience, or perhaps IQ is falling, but I'm finding lately that many buyers over there, when I've listed something for LOCAL COLLECTION ONLY, not only pay with Paypal (grrr) instead of cash but also are expecting me to post the item. Dummies.

So, even though there are far fewer buyers here, I'm thinking of moving my local collection items onto eBid.

What are other sellers' experiences? Do you successfully sell any items with local collection?
    I used to offer local collection, but, as noone ever took me up on it, even with a London address, I dropped it.

I do deliver locally sometimes. I have a freedom pass so delivering anywhere in London near underground or bus stop gives me an excuse to get out of the house. Only problem is, people are rarely in, so collecting cash is not an option.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

​I really have no problem with local pick-up if the buyer is reasonable in setting an appointment to pick up the item. Of course, showing up at odd hours without a pre-arranged appointment doesn't sit well.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    I used to offer local collection, but, as noone ever took me up on it, even with a London address, I dropped it.

I do deliver locally sometimes. I have a freedom pass so delivering anywhere in London near underground or bus stop gives me an excuse to get out of the house. Only problem is, people are rarely in, so collecting cash is not an option.

Yes, I've been know to drop off items to local buyers sometimes. These are usually artwork or jewelry pieces for customers I know at least by reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    ​I really have no problem with local pick-up if the buyer is reasonable in setting an appointment to pick up the item. Of course, showing up at odd hours without a pre-arranged appointment doesn't sit well.
    Of course.

Did that ever happen to you? Never known of it, I'd label such a visitor in the same category as the idiots who pay with Paypal even when I've specifically asked for cash for local collection. And the one who thought 'local collection' means free postage!

Evidently stupidity is on the rise. I'm noticing an increasing number of sellers on ebay including 'PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION' in their title. And/or starting their description with such warnings, rather than tacking them on the end.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information