Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Are collectables the best items to sell?

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View MJAUCTIONS's Feedback (+278)
    All-About MJAUCTIONS
    View MJAUCTIONS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Are collectables the best items to sell?

Originally joined Ebid over 15 years ago and sold quite a few items with steady sales. Looking back through my old sold items I see that most of the things fall under small collectables and am wondering if that is the reason I'm struggling as now my stock is more high street toy items. I'm giving up a lot of my online selling, hence coming back here and trying to clear stock at minimum prices (but not having much success!). I'm not giving up selling altogether but am wondering if I need to rethink any future stock I plan to list on here. Maybe Ebid needs to exploit that collectable/memorabilia niche more?

Default Re: Are collectables the best items to sell?

I get steady sales, not massive but sales every month, with my vintage pottery. I posted off a cup and saucer to a newbie buyer in South Africa this morning. The postcard and stamp sellers here also seem to do O.K.

I'd like to see a wide variety of items here. But, it seems like a person has to have a large number listed to get sales, so it's the collectable sellers with lots of listings who sell the most.

Sellers come. They list a bit. They get discouraged and leave. It's too bad that they don't stay, especially after they've paid Seller + and it doesn't cost them anything for listing fees or to have their 5 stores.

I really wish that there was more to buy here on eBid. A person can only list what they've got to list, so in my case, you'll see collectables, craft items, and bits of this and that from around the house. In order to attract the buyers, eBid needs more sellers. Good sellers.

I was going to list some collectible star wars minis a long time ago when I bought the seller +, but I would have been pretty much the only seller of them. I didn't expect buyers to come to the site just to buy sw minis from me. On the other auction site, there were plenty of seller. A very active market.

I'm trying to sell my artwork here. Though artwork in general is tough to sell. I did manage to sell some artwork at the other auction site, though the fees for listing all of them was too much to be profitable. There are people who like my artwork. Time will tell if they stumble upon the paintings on ebid.

I find it's important for me to be part of a community. And I'm making an investment in time to list here. I like eBid a lot and I'm very hopeful.
    Last edited by jabbasyacht; 11th March 2018 at 02:34 AM.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

With regard to the main question, I would say that it depends entirely on the collectibles to be listed. I've found collectibles to be somewhat slow moving unless they are of particular interest to a niche market.

Regarding the sale of artwork, it too can be somewhat slow. Especially if you aren't somewhat well known or your work isn't of a style that is in vogue at the moment. I find it easier to sell through my local gallery or art association, but do list some minor pieces here. Of course, you probably already know the advantage of having your work exhibited and seen by as many people as possible, so I advise you to keep entering shows and exhibiting whenever and wherever you can.

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View MJAUCTIONS's Feedback (+278)
    All-About MJAUCTIONS
    View MJAUCTIONS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you for the feedback. I used to do quite well with toys and gifts but fees/postage and the influx of more and more high street shops on 'the other' site have really killed it for me over there. I've always been a small scale seller so I think this site suits me better than the other as they seem obsessed with the higher volume seller. I'm hoping to clear most of my existing stock and start anew and maybe take up the offer of a shop as its free.
    As a personal buyer, I often search for items on here and am disappointed to see the results, so I agree that more listings are needed. Ebid means items can be listed at lower prices than elsewhere so you'd think buyers would at least come and compare the prices. I recently bought a comic I had wanted but could never justify paying the over inflated price advertised elsewhere, yet here is was a tenth of the price! Sellers and buyers are missing out on not using this site. I think more advertising is needed.

MJAUCTIONS, I agree that ebid.net could use more sellers. I think they could also benefit from more low priced auctions that are priced to sell. Unfortunately, with fewer buyers auctioning at low prices can be risky. I wish you well with clearing out your existing inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    With regard to the main question, I would say that it depends entirely on the collectibles to be listed. I've found collectibles to be somewhat slow moving unless they are of particular interest to a niche market.

Regarding the sale of artwork, it too can be somewhat slow. Especially if you aren't somewhat well known or your work isn't of a style that is in vogue at the moment. I find it easier to sell through my local gallery or art association, but do list some minor pieces here. Of course, you probably already know the advantage of having your work exhibited and seen by as many people as possible, so I advise you to keep entering shows and exhibiting whenever and wherever you can.
    Thank you for your advice. I wish you the best with creative endeavors.

Thread Information