eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Posting Photos

Default Re: Posting Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tinoco View Post
    The listing photos facility on ebid sucks. Waaaay too much hassle/time to list. Needs to be more like Ebay, Etsy, Bonanza, etc.
    When you get used to it, you'll be happy with it. That's the wisdom that's bandied about around here. And if I made more than a couple of sales a year, I'd be happy with the site's modest 2% sales fee and I'd accept some rough edges.

Personally, despite being here for 15+ years and despite being a software designer for 50+ years, I use it but I'm not happy with it. You can go all round the world and hire cars, they all work much the same way. Ebid's photo upload system is like hiring a paddle steamer in a world where we all know how to drive cars.

However, there's zero chance of ebid's developer(s?) listening. There's a stubborn pride in being different.

You don't see it the way I do? Well, when was the last time you saw a feature on ebid that had been different from the norm and was then changed to come into line with industry expectations?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    When you get used to it, you'll be happy with it. That's the wisdom that's bandied about around here. And if I made more than a couple of sales a year, I'd be happy with the site's modest 2% sales fee and I'd accept some rough edges.

Personally, despite being here for 15+ years and despite being a software designer for 50+ years, I use it but I'm not happy with it. You can go all round the world and hire cars, they all work much the same way. Ebid's photo upload system is like hiring a paddle steamer in a world where we all know how to drive cars.

However, there's zero chance of ebid's developer(s?) listening. There's a stubborn pride in being different.

You don't see it the way I do? Well, when was the last time you saw a feature on ebid that had been different from the norm and was then changed to come into line with industry expectations?
    You mean like when I suggested that the craft categories could be better? Or that the stamp categories didn't match the stamp industry?

However, the op hadn't given it a chance.
    Last edited by madelaine; 20th July 2020 at 06:29 PM.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Newbie
    View alyd's Feedback (+1)
    All-About alyd
    View alyd's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebid has problems. First pictures are too time consuming to load and arranging is a nightmare compared to the other place. Second views are few and far between and sales are rare. You rarely get any real auction prices so most sales are fixed price. There are so many good reasons to go with Ebid but no seller can survive on Ebid unless they somehow get traffic up. As an example in Toys EBay has 4,000 plus items in a catergory Ebid has 200. I wish there was an easy solution but right now it’s not happening. The average American consumer has never heard of Ebid. Just a sad fact.

Certainly ebid.net doesn't have the traffic of other sites, but it is a viable selling site if you put in a modicum of effort to direct eyes to your listings. I disagree with the comment about uploading photos. Once you are familiar how it works, it takes about the same time as other sites (i.e., you can upload all your photos at once, then just select them for your listings, drag and drop to change the order of appearance, etc.).

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just to get back to the OP, the system that eBid use is different to that on the other site, in that on eBid you're taken away from the listing temporarily to the user's image gallery, I would liken this to the Wordpress Media gallery interface. It works, but I do agree that it could be streamlined with a bit of effort on the part of the developers, probably in the form of a custom image uploader instead of the (what appears to be) mostly stock off-the-shelf upload dialogue (I'm sure I've seen it used elsewhere).

The process could go something like this (which I don't think is going to break any copyrights):
    1. User clicks somewhere on the listing page to add image(s), they are presented with a file chooser dialogue (probably should be their OS native one),
    2. they select one or more image files (if they select more than is allowed then they get an error, could be handled a number of different ways - maybe only the first images up to the maximum are uploaded and the user is just told that additional files have been ignored, or it won't allow the upload until less are chosen),
    3. The images are automatically cropped and placed in the listing images area, while at the same time being added in the background to the user's image gallery (cropped versions), the user should be notified that the images will be automatically cropped, or eBid could ditch the square aspect ratio (which I think is an odd design decision as pretty much no camera generates square images, and it's a pain to have to crop images prior to upload just in order to fill the square boxes);

The user could be presented with a more elaborate upload system when accessing the gallery directly, perhaps there could be a link from the listing page to go to the gallery system as an optional way for uploading and organising their images, but the streamlined method should be the default.
    Providing manual image cropping tools and that sort of thing is a luxury and probably unnecessary for most people, smart and efficient design should eliminate the need most of the time.

Just my thoughts on this based on my own experience of listing here on eBid.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

For me, Ebid is vastly quicker than the other side for images, but that is because I can list here for lower prices than there and so sell many items.
    So all my images are preloaded to the web, often a thousand at a time.
    I list by using the spreadsheet method with my image web reference within the spreadsheet.
    For example, recently listing a batch of 450 items, all the images took 2 minute to load to the web, and the spreadsheet listing another 5.
    Of course the spreadsheet before the images took hours to list that many different items, but still a fraction of listing 450 items on the other side.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Lurker
    West Hampstead, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View kodakfish's Feedback (+2288)
    All-About kodakfish
    View kodakfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

although I rarely list more than 7-15 at a time I use Ninja lister - basically similar to the bay's turbo lister. Load my pics to the auction there then bulk upload. This works with locally stored jpg's and url - altho dont store pics in the cloud so no idea how you list multiple urls for purposes of multi pics. Total time spent listing is close to ebay's although international shipping can be a bit clunky via ninja

Thread Information