Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: The history of early England and Canada

View selkab's Feedback (+1297)
    All-About selkab
    View selkab's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default The history of early England and Canada

I had gotten this book in a box of old books from an eBay seller who had passed on.

It is called The history of early England and Canada. by C. A. Scarrow. 1st edition 1933. It is a grade VI (6) history book.

It is in very rough shape with tape on the binding rips to the pages, and some of the pages have crumbled away.

Is it even worth listing and if so what would it be worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The history of early England and Canada

I found some of this Author's work (5) on Abebooks (there were none on bookfinder) - but not this particular book. They averaged approx £8-£10 each but none were in this condition but neither were they 1st Editions.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.....

Default Re: The history of early England and Canada

This appears to have been self-published. The title on the Cover does not make much sense, (The History of Early England and Canada), whereas the title page is fine (The Early History etc.) Self-published or in-house published was common in the 30s, for educational text books, in this country too.

The most common work to which his name is attached is one on the Plains Indians and the pioneers; all the copies I have come across are "Revised Editions" and a Jean Gibson is mentioned as co-author. The date is 1943. This suggests that by this date Scarrow was extremely elderly or dead and Gibson was updating a text which was regarded as still basically sound. In turn, this suggests that the First Edition which you possess was one of Scarrow's last works if not indeed his last.

I cannot find a complete Bibliography for this man, but I did find some information about Education during this period in Saskatchewan; in 1896 Scarrow was teaching at Roseland School in Brandon and by 1919 was appointed as an Inspector of schools in Saskatchewan. If we take the average educational career as being 35 to 40 years, and the Roseland post to have been his first, then by the late 1930s and 1940 he would have been retired at the very least, which fits well with the dates of 1933 and 1943 for the two texts mentioned.

I'd be tempted to get in touch with the archives section of the Board of Education for Saskatchewan to see if they can give you any information about this book. If rare enough it might well prove to be more desirable than is apparent.

I'd be interested to know the result.

Thread Information