eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: All Rootsweb websites down - and will be for some time

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy All Rootsweb websites down - and will be for some time

From the Freepages Mailing List: On December 23, the following message appeared on the Rootsweb Blog -

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/12/23/rootsweb-security-update/

... which means that you cannot access any Rootsweb pages, nor connect by FTP to any of your Rootsweb community sites.
    Indications are that this shutdown could be for some time as Ancestry attempt to make the Rootsweb sites secure.
    Ultimately, an ability to change passwords plus two factor ID may form part of the solution.

The Rootsweb Mailing Lists are still active.

Which means my Freepages Family History website has gone AWOL - and for how long?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: All Rootsweb websites down - and will be for some time

That's awful!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Now looking for an alternative host for my Freepages family history website - just in case.

But as I have over 450 pages and 500+ images to transfer, it's not going to be easy!

dont you have them on cd or in a file on your computer to just lift up to a server I just bought some webspace for 5 years and plonked my websites back on wit file zilla or wsftp or are yours using ready set up pages for the particular site they are on

I'm finally taking the time to research my family history and was really disappointed to find that Rootsweb free pages were down too

The LDS site is free and has close to 5,000 locations that provide information worldwide. https://www.familysearch.org/about
    All of the information is user submitted and document translation is done by volunteers, so you need to double check for "human error". In one of my lines I found a set of 3 x great grandparents which was obviously not well researched - I was able to edit and gave my reason as: It would have been impossible for these people to birth and raise two children in the same year on different continents". One of their children was for sure my ancestor and I know his birth place and date are correct (England, 1844) but his "parents" lived in Maryland and had a daughter born in 1844 - lol!

The site I have been using to build my tree is https://www.tribalpages.com/familytree.html but I'm not sure that will work for you with the number of photos you have. I think 50 photos are allowed with the free option and there is a charge for extra storage of photos - how much I don't know.

I believe both offer free upload of your existing info if it is in GEDCOM format.

Good luck and "Happy Hunting"!

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    dont you have them on cd or in a file on your computer to just lift up to a server I just bought some webspace for 5 years and plonked my websites back on wit file zilla or wsftp or are yours using ready set up pages for the particular site they are on
    I have all the original files on my PC and on an external backup drive. All this happened as I was getting geared up to start long overdue amendments/updates and add new information.

Someone suggested Google Sites, but that is too restrictive.

Looked at Tribal pages in the past, tried it for a while and then deleted my tree! I code my own pages in html and don't particularly care for the restrictive templates on offer.

i will send you a link to the one i bought from by pm

Thread Information