Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: How to update to make the descriptions readable

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How to update to make the descriptions readable

This probably has been going on awhile but I closed all of my listing today, planning to update pictures, descriptions and prices before relisting. The descriptions are unreadable with notice to update acct to enable 3rd party hosting. I would be glad to do this if I had a clue what I need to do.

Any helpful suggestions?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How to update to make the descriptions readable

Sounds like Photobucket have caught up with you and want you to pay to enable 3rd party hostong.

Many here have moved our Photobucket images to either Flickr or Snapagogo; or in my case to my own website.

There was a thread about just this topic back in July when it all blew up
    https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...-Photobucket-!

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Sounds like Photobucket have caught up with you and want you to pay to enable 3rd party hostong.

Many here have moved our Photobucket images to either Flickr or Snapagogo; or in my case to my own website.

There was a thread about just this topic back in July when it all blew up
    https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...-Photobucket-!

I moved my graphics that were on photobucket to my own website hosting where I also hosted my photos.

Now however I'm having to move everything again because my listings were showing the 'i' symbol instead of the secure padlock symbol with the new Google changes. I'm moving my photos out of my description and onto the eBid system and the graphics to Flickr so I can get my green padlock back. I would have used Snapagogo but at the time that wasn't showing as secure either, I see they have now updated it and it has a padlock symbol again so safe to use.

It was too expensive to get a SSL certificate for my website with all my photos hosted from there so I'm moving the photos to trim it down so I can get a better deal.

Ann your listings are now showing with the 'i' symbol in the url too so you might want to move things around a bit like me.

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

Ann your listings are now showing with the 'i' symbol in the url too so you might want to move things around a bit like me.
    The jury's still out on that one! And I'm not so sure that it's necessary - at the moment.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    The jury's still out on that one! And I'm not so sure that it's necessary - at the moment.
    I may be wrong but from what I have read HTPPS is not really necessary on all websites. If you take financial details etc yes it is essential, but if you just have a normal log-in such as here on the forum may be not so much.

I liken it to another form of insurance, yes you can easily go through life without needing it, but it is good to have just in case. You never know when your car might flip at 90 mph on the Autobahn (happened to some friends of mine), luckily all three walked away with no ill-effects; the same could not be said for the car, but the insurance took care of that.

As I say in more or less every post I make about IT things the info I get is picked up from folks much more knowledgeable than me, and I am sure that someone will be along to either confirm or deny my views.

Also of-course you can not rule out the likelihood that some companies just saw the opportunity to screw a bit more cash out of us, for something that may not be necessary.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post

Also of-course you can not rule out the likelihood that some companies just saw the opportunity to screw a bit more cash out of us, for something that may not be necessary.

I think that is more than likely Lofty and a real pain. I've never bothered with a certificate before for my website because I don't hold anyone's details and all payments go via Paypal.
    Now however with all this rumpus that Google are making and also a certain T.V. advert, that a bank has been running, about internet fraud and looking for green padlocks I think some customers might be put off if they don't see one.

Forum Saint
    All-About Anniemcc2
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

Now however with all this rumpus that Google are making and also a certain T.V. advert, that a bank has been running, about internet fraud and looking for green padlocks I think some customers might be put off if they don't see one.
    As I don't watch much tv and certainly not the adverts, which bank is this?

I've been checking quite a few of my family history resource websites and NONE have the green padlock as they're just information websites, as my two websites are, including the one hosted by Ancestry.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it is just another example of Google strongarming the internet to their view.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what I'm going to do as I don't have time to update all of the pictures right now.

Thread Information