Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Responsibilities When Selling Internationally

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Responsibilities When Selling Internationally

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed light on something that has always puzzled me. Who should take responsibility for defining whether something is suitable for sending to a Country? Is it the seller or the buyer?

I have not really taken any notice of this before as the only things I have made available are books (a quick look in the first few pages, establishes if a book shouldn't be sold in a particular Country); and sports programmes (no problems as far as I know).

However I am considering making my DvDs available to other Countries, previously I only tried to sell them to the UK and Ireland, knowing that the certification for them was okay there.

I have no idea how I would go about discovering if a film was legally available in a country or banned. One film that is an example is "The Life of Brian", which at the time of it's release caused wide-spread controversy. I was surprised to see when I searched the web that it was banned from being shown in Bournemouth until 2015 (35 years after it' s release).

Can anyone advise me on this please?
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Responsibilities When Selling Internationally

I would be interested in a definitive answer to this also.

I've always worked on the principle that the main onus rests on the importer (i.e. the buyer). My responsibility being to declare the item properly so that the recipient country's customs can determine if the item is allowed to cross the border.

Though I expect it is not so clear cut and responsibilites can rest on both sides.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed light on something that has always puzzled me. Who should take responsibility for defining whether something is suitable for sending to a Country? Is it the seller or the buyer?

I have not really taken any notice of this before as the only things I have made available are books (a quick look in the first few pages, establishes if a book shouldn't be sold in a particular Country); and sports programmes (no problems as far as I know).

However I am considering making my DvDs available to other Countries, previously I only tried to sell them to the UK and Ireland, knowing that the certification for them was okay there.

I have no idea how I would go about discovering if a film was legally available in a country or banned. One film that is an example is "The Life of Brian", which at the time of it's release caused wide-spread controversy. I was surprised to see when I searched the web that it was banned from being shown in Bournemouth until 2015 (35 years after it' s release).

depends i can only give a example , selling lamps to the usa is not banned,BUT long haul flights will not allow them on the plane, so thats one reason why i wont sell to the usa, on the other paw if a buyer is willing to pay a awful lot i can get the lamp on a plane, the same plane flying across europe there is no such ban, american paranoia of being bombed,

you should have a realistic idea as a seller what countries and shippers are willing to except , its really not worth the grief to the buyer or seller having some thing detained, lost, returned to poster ect ect,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

When I sold internationally, considered my responsibility as seller to be familiar with restrictions of items I sold, as much as possible. I also considered it a buyer's responsibility to be knowledgeable about the restrictions of items I sold, and not place a bid or buy my items, if they knew it was restricted to their nation.

I included a clause on my listing that advised international buyers of their responsibility to be knowledgeable of restrictions prior to bidding or buying.

This impacted the sale of my coins and precious metals. I reviewed restrictions regularly, and removed nations who added restrictions over time. I ended up only offering sale of such items to a few nations. Was surprised how often nations were changing their policies on coins and precious metals.

I saw others selling to all nations despite the restrictions. Also offering shipping at much lower rates than I could, because I priced based on the restrictions.

After USPS introduced several new policies on international shipping, and shipping rates kept going up, I decided not to offer international shipping.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your contributions, that is much the same as I was thinking. Having looked at the Royal Mail's List of Prohibited and Restricted Goods list; I find it completely unintelligible. I have looked up Austria and Ireland and have been able to make out absolutely nothing from it. (Although I am looking for things where there are virtually no restrictions: books (fiction), video dvd's and sports programmes.

At 1K+ pages of small type it seems to tell me nothing at all, just quotes things that look like reference points, but no where to look them up. http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdown...ArticlesEn.pdf

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

I am wondering if there are any other databases out there that I can consult, that will hopefully be easier to understand. I did a quick search earlier today and could only find the Royal Mail source.

Can any of our American colleagues, let me know of a link for USPS's list (I know it may be slightly skewed by American regulations, but it may give me a better idea of what is banned from some Countries). Thanks

I am wondering if there are any other databases out there that I can consult, that will hopefully be easier to understand. I did a quick search earlier today and could only find the Royal Mail source.

Can any of our American colleagues, let me know of a link for USPS's list (I know it may be slightly skewed by American regulations, but it may give me a better idea of what is banned from some Countries). Thanks
    Here's a link for the USPS site: https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_001.htm#ep8776283

It's listed alphabetically by country ... click on contents to get the list.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Thanks Hurry, that is much easier to read, the British version is just a long list of small print with no real explanation of what it means.

Thanks Hurry, that is much easier to read, the British version is just a long list of small print with no real explanation of what it means.
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unfortunately, the list on the USPS site has been known to contain some erroneous information in the past.

Ordinarily, I feel that it is best for the importer to know what is and what isn't legal to import into their country. However, as in all things, the seller needs to make an effort when there is any doubt to ascertain the facts.

It is my understanding that knives are not allowed to be shipped into the UK and any NAZI memorabilia bearing the Swastika isn't permitted to be sent to Germany. But I'm sure there are quite a few other items that are banned from import in other countries.

Thread Information