Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Lost post, refunded, then turns up

Default Lost post, refunded, then turns up

Hey all,

I sent a parcel to Canada on the 25th August. On the 4th October the buyer informed me that it had not arrived so I refunded them the full amount, and put in a claim with Royal Mail.
    The buyer asked if they needed to do this, which I replied they didn't as I had.
    The buyer also informed me that it wasn't the first time recently they'd had a problem with missing mail.

Now on th 21st November, I recieved Postitive Feedback for the missing items, so I asked the buyer if they had turned up, which the reply was they had.

Now my question on this is....
    Since RM has compensated me, should the buyer keep the item/s free of charge.
    I ask as at the moment, I am in 2 minds.
    Either to let the buyer keep said items free of charge as they were honest,
    or do I ask the buyer to pay part of the worth of the item/s,
    or be really unhelpful and ask the buyer to pay the full amount for the items?

Bearing in mind I have recieved the amount back from RM.

Your thoughts on this folks. Keep it civil though.

Jason

Default Re: Lost post, refunded, then turns up

Because it was Canada I would let the buyer have the item as I have also had parcels to that country take six weeks to arrive in the past. The customs system in Canada seems very inefficient.
    The buyer has left you positive feedback even though they have had to wait so long, so in this case personally I would be generous for the inconvenience unless you are inclined to give the refund back to R.M.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

You have been paid for the item (one way or another) so unless you intend to reimburse RM then the item is the buyers without further payment.

I did look on the RM site to see if there was anything about the situation of goods arriving after compensation for loss, but couldn't find anything.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

an interesting one this
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

The way I see it ---
    The buyer got what they paid for (including the insurance even if it was free shipping to them)
    The seller got paid for what they sold
    The buyer was not trying to rip anyone off and the seller has nothing to gain by trying to collect from the buyer since RM insurance has paid the refund money due to the mail systems slowness or negligence in delivery. The RM must have agreed the delivery should have already been made but the package apparently could not be located since they paid.
    The seller has a satisfied customer so no need to try to lose them --- who knows they may need something else.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

For what it's worth, unless the Royal Mail tried to reclaim their reimbursement, I'd not worry about trying to collect again from the buyer. With the amount of time the customer had to wait they deserve it.

I'm curious as to what the hold up was? Did the item get held up in customs?

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post

I'm curious as to what the hold up was? Did the item get held up in customs?

Things seem to take ages to get from the UK to Canada. I don't know why as I've had parcels delivered to the USA in about five - seven days and even Australia and New Zealand only usually takes about ten to fourteen days.

Thanks for the input folks.

I was going down the "let the buyer keep the item/s" route anyway, but thought it would be good to see what others thought of this situation.
    After all, the buyer didn't have to admit to having received the items, but was honest enough to leave feedback when they did eventually turn up.

Downside is, it's not the first time i've had mail "lost" when sending to Canada.
    Maybe the way forward for sending items to Canada is to have it tracked. Downside to that though would be an increase in shipping charge, which neither side wants.

Maybe I should start to keep a track of area codes where post goes "missing" or is significantly delayed.

Jason

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I recently sold an item to the US where the buyer asked after 2 weeks if it had been sent. I did ask if he was willing to wait another week as it could be held up at customs. Never heard any more till I did get feedback. So it must have got there eventually

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I once witnessed a traffic accident involving a semi hauling mail for the USPS. The trailer was almost completely consumed by fire. It's hard to tell how many packages and letters never made it to their intended recipients.

Thread Information