Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a reputable web domain registrar

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Looking for a reputable web domain registrar

Mel: I can't remember where, but I read the same about keeping the two apart. IIRC it runs along the same logic as energy providers. If you have gas from one place and electric from another, then if you have any aggro with the payments at least you have a supply of some sort.

I have heard from PP and apparently the lying scum at 1&! are saying that there was a recurring payment agreement in place, they set this up without my knowledge. Had I known about it I would not have linked it to my current account which as it gets to the end of the month is very bare.

PP say that as the scum say there is an agreement I will have to pay them, as PP have put a debit on my account. I am going to challenge this.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Can you not cancel this payment at your bank?

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Can you not cancel this payment at your bank?
    The problem Annie is that PP gave up on trying to take the money from my account, and instead put a charge on my account, so I now owe them rather than the shysters. I did contact my building society who agreed to retract the overdue fee of £5 as a "good will" gesture". The fact that charging for a debit that was fraudulent, as I didn't agree to it being set up, is unethical seems to have bypassed them.

As far as I remember PP are now domiciled in Luxembourg a part of the EU, so it amazes me that they are not answerable to some kind of overseeing body.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    As far as I remember PP are now domiciled in Luxembourg a part of the EU, so it amazes me that they are not answerable to some kind of overseeing body.
    I think it is more that they are domiciled in Luxembourg for the purpose of tax avoidance.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mel: I can't remember where, but I read the same about keeping the two apart. IIRC it runs along the same logic as energy providers. If you have gas from one place and electric from another, then if you have any aggro with the payments at least you have a supply of some sort.

I have heard from PP and apparently the lying scum at 1&! are saying that there was a recurring payment agreement in place, they set this up without my knowledge. Had I known about it I would not have linked it to my current account which as it gets to the end of the month is very bare.

PP say that as the scum say there is an agreement I will have to pay them, as PP have put a debit on my account. I am going to challenge this.
    Ordinarily when they take a recurring payment out of you bank account or charge it to your credit card, it is because somewhere buried in their UA is a clause that you have unwittingly agreed to when agreed to the UA. Alas! Many of us when faced with the horrendous amount of legalese, we simply click accept without reading it. I believe it was a British film titled, "Rock My World" that contained the line, "What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mel: I can't remember where, but I read the same about keeping the two apart.
    I have a feeling it was something to do with who owns the domain name (i.e. who it is registered to) if you buy both it and hosting from the same place in some cases. So if you want to change hosting you could find that you have no rights to take the domain name with you. Whereas if you just buy the domain name then it is registered to you and you can move hosts at will and keep it.

I could be doing a Hillary Clinton on that though and 'mis-remembering'. Sadly I seem to be forgetting more and more each day now. The old brain is in decline; which is most unfortunate as it was never that good to start with.
    Last edited by astral276; 27th October 2017 at 09:44 AM.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I have a feeling it was something to do with who owns the domain name (i.e. who it is registered to) if you buy both it and hosting from the same place in some cases. So if you want to change hosting you could find that you have no rights to take the domain name with you.....
    For British domain names one can check who owns what and for how long at

https://www.nominet.uk/domains/

My own domain names were purchased through UK2NET, hosted by them but the domain names are registered to me. I have just rechecked the details held by Nominet.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Thread Information