Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a reputable web domain registrar

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Looking for a reputable web domain registrar

Hi, around a year ago I opened an account with 1&1 to register domain names. Today I found that they have (without my permission) taken a recurring fee from my PP account. I realised these people were trouble within an hour of signing up, I received numerous phone calls and emails from people I had never heard of regarding website related products. So really the fact that they are stealthily trying to take money from me should not really be a surprise..

I am wondering if anyone can suggest a more trustworthy supplier, and also how would I go about transferring from them.

Around a month ago I responded to an email saying that one of the domains had become due and paid soon after with a credit card, so I am not sure why they tried taking money from PP rather than give me the option of how to pay.

So I may be stuck with them for another year before I can make a clean break.

Thanks for your help.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Default Re: Looking for a reputable web domain registrar

i use fasthosts, you can transfer your domain to them somehow but i have never done it as i have always been with them but a word of warning the domain names are going up soon, my problem at the moment is i am trying to move the websites and they have gone off

I use Tsohost, they bought out the smaller company I was with before but so far so good. I haven't had any trouble with them and they have been very helpful when I've asked questions.

I used to use Fasthosts but they became too expensive and seemed to get a lot of technical glitches but that was several years ago so they might have improved ?
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 23rd October 2017 at 08:49 PM.

I first did mine with UK Reg but it's part of fasthosts now. I only ever had one problem and that was me not being able to find something, and i messaged them and said that taking over the controls of a 747 was easier than using their web site, they wrote back saying that they had never had the pleasure of taking over the controls of a 747, then he told me in detail where and what i needed to do i think i joined them in 1997 ish. Ya cant take me anywhere

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use HostPapa, usually have some good deals going (mine included free domain name for life) they will also transfer your domain to themselves for you. If you have only paid for the domain name and not the hosting then you should be able to transfer now.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the help folks, Sherlock's response reminds me that I am also in the market for a host as the person who currently provides this is giving up a moving on to other projects. I will sound them all out as to what they can provide. I guess the sensible thing to do is to wait and see what 1&1 have to say for themselves and then try to extricate myself. Although i suspect the fact that I will have to leave one registration with them will make things awkward.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

thats jut whats happened to me lofty the firm that host my sites has just disappeared and their domain name has been sold to someone else, the could have at lease warned me, if the new firm i have just paid to host one of them does't sort it tomorrow they wont be getting paid to host the other one.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use https://serenweb.com/

Mike is based locally to me and I pay £25 a year for my domain name & website hosting.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Though I have never had hosting in the form you are talking about (I used to use webspace provided by my ISP). When I looked into it when my ISP stopped providing the service I was advised never to buy the domain name(s) from the same place I was buying hosting. Sadly, I can't now recall the reasons I was given for that advice; senility must be setting in.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Hi, around a year ago I opened an account with 1&1 to register domain names. Today I found that they have (without my permission) taken a recurring fee from my PP account........
    Firstly let me say that I use UK2NET for buying my Domain Names and Web Hosting service.

So I am familiar with recurring payments (within PayPal) as a buyer via UK2Net

To be fair to PayPal I think you will find that unwittingly you agreed to and thus set up the recurring payment in your PayPal account

I do not have a credit or debit card payment set up with UK2Net so over the years I have always paid via my PayPal account.

Uk2NET will only permit me to make the annual payment if I agree to a recurring payment via PayPal.

I simply agree to it being set up and make the payment for the first year.

I immediately go into my PayPal account locate the recurring payment I have just set up and cancel it.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Thread Information