Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ability To Refuse Sales To Selected Countries

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Ability To Refuse Sales To Selected Countries

Hi, I am in the process of revamping my listings and adding international shipping options. One thi.ng that I find a little disgusting is that there is no ability to block sales to certain Countries. Yes we have the pick-list provided, but that only covers the Nations that eBid launched sites for. Since then eBid take all-comers with people being able to sign in as guests to make a purchase.

My understanding is that I can click the various regions of the world button to enable sales to those areas, but by doing so would be forced into taking offers from all the Countries in that region. If for instance I selected Europe and Africa then this would leave me open to the numerous scammers that are known to operate out of Russia and Nigeria.

This would mean that to avoid possible Russian sales I would have to miss out on selling to the rest of Europe.

One query I have is what would the situation be if the following scenario happened? I opened up my sales to Europe, then despite putting a warning on my listings that I do not sell to specified locations; however someone from one of these places still tried to buy. What would the situation be, would I be okay to just decline the sale, or would action be taken against me.

I was thinking that this might be possible by tracing the IP address of the applicant and if the Countries named has been selected in a pick list then the sale would be voided. However I am not very knowledgeable with IT matters, and am wondering if anyone has any views on this.

Would it be feasible or not?
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Default Re: Ability To Refuse Sales To Selected Countries

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    One query I have is what would the situation be if the following scenario happened? I opened up my sales to Europe, then despite putting a warning on my listings that I do not sell to specified locations; however someone from one of these places still tried to buy. What would the situation be, would I be okay to just decline the sale, or would action be taken against me.
    Very good question! USPS ships to over 180 countries, but what is allowed to be shipped to each country from here, can vary dramatically! I wish I could remember which country it was, but "clothing that could be offensive" was a prohibited item. How am I to know what that country deems "offensive" when it comes to clothing?? Another country prohibits the shipping of any item made of tin. If someone in another country orders an item and I find it on that country's prohibited list, I would have to decline the sale.

I'm not sure that tracing the IP address would be of help, as many use VPNs ??? Once a sale is made and a seller gets the actual shipping address, they would then have to check the prohibited items list for that country and may have to decline the sale.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

That is a good point you make there about what is allowed int which Country. Maybe I should put a note on my listings that the purchaser is responsible to determine the legality of any purchase. I can't really help you about the offensive clothing, but one thing I found out while on holiday in Barbados is that military clothing can only be worn by the Bajan Military. And they do take it seriously, a few weeks after I came back a young lad (can't remember his age, but 10 or under got arrested at Grantley Adams Airport for wearing Khaki trousers, which were very popular at the time.

The items I have tend to be books, DvDs,sports programmes and magazines..

I wish eBid would return to the members only policy, I am sure it would be much easier to administer and may also cut down on the fraud we are currently experiencing.

In a case that you present there of someone using a false IP address I am fairly sure that eBid would bonce them out fairly quickly, but we as sellers would be okay because that is fraud.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi, I am in the process of revamping my listings and adding international shipping options. One thi.ng that I find a little disgusting is that there is no ability to block sales to certain Countries. Yes we have the pick-list provided, but that only covers the Nations that eBid launched sites for. Since then eBid take all-comers with people being able to sign in as guests to make a purchase.

My understanding is that I can click the various regions of the world button to enable sales to those areas, but by doing so would be forced into taking offers from all the Countries in that region. If for instance I selected Europe and Africa then this would leave me open to the numerous scammers that are known to operate out of Russia and Nigeria.

This would mean that to avoid possible Russian sales I would have to miss out on selling to the rest of Europe.

I was thinking that this might be possible by tracing the IP address of the applicant and if the Countries named has been selected in a pick list then the sale would be voided. However I am not very knowledgeable with IT matters, and am wondering if anyone has any views on this.

Would it be feasible or not?
    I deal with this through the places to which I am willing to ship. As I do not choose to ship to Russia, my options will be:
    DESTINATIONS CODE
    France fr
    Deutschland de
    Ireland ie
    Italia it
    España es
    Nederland nl
    Portugal pt
    Sverige se
    Danmark dk
    Norge no
    Austria at
    Belgium be
    but not
    EUROPE eu

so you cannot buy from me from Russia. I once got a question from Slovenia, would I be willing to sell, and I sent a direct Paypal request.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Hi Bill, My list would be much the same but including Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland and maybe parts of the old Yugoslavia. But without selecting the Europe button my listings would be hidden from all of them. Is that correct? How did the Slovenian exchange turn out, or even come to know of you?

I think I will have to contact support to sort out the facts of what would happen if I bounced out offers from places such as Russia while seemingly allowing them by selecting Europe.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

I have sent the eBid team a message asking them to clarify what would happen if I cancel sales from Countries that I do not wish to sell to, but am not allowed to block. I will update on the situation when I hear something.

I have sent the eBid team a message asking them to clarify what would happen if I cancel sales from Countries that I do not wish to sell to, but am not allowed to block. I will update on the situation when I hear something.
    Yes, please do let us know what their policy would be if we were to decline a sale to a specific country for our own personal reasons.

I did email USPS to ask if there were any countries that they did not allow us to ship to and this was their response:
    "Thank you for contacting the USPS® Internet Customer Care Center. The United States Postal Inspection Service has temporarily suspended Click-N-Ship® service (online) to the following countries:
    Armenia, Belarus, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), Democratic Republic of Congo, Czech Republic, Ghana, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Namibia, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, Russia, Serbia-Montenegro.

You will not be able to create a label to any of these countries. Packages that are destined for the countries listed above must be mailed from your local Post Office™. You may also create labels using third party vendors such as Stamps.com, Endicia.com, and Paypal.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us again.

Thank you for emailing your Postal Service™, USPS Internet Customer Care Center"

I suppose this is so they can check to see what is being shipped but not very helpful for me, as I generally
    use Pay Pal to create a shipping label, rather than driving 10+ miles to the local PO in town - so I would still be responsible for wading through their endless rules to see if an item purchased is restricted by that country or not.

How awful for that poor boy that got in trouble for wearing khakis!!!!

A virtual private network (VPN) provides a secure, encrypted tunnel to transmit data between a remote user via the Internet and the company network. Many people use VPNs as a layer of protection for their computer. My ISP automatically uses VPN - I found out by accident when I checked a box on my FB account to receive an e-mail notification any time someone logs into my account from a different physical location than mine. Every time I log into FB, I get e-mails saying I've been all over the country - LOL!! The e-mail is sent right after I log in, so I know it was me. The only time I would worry is if I got an e-mail and knew I had not been to FB that day. So, I don't think that tracing an IP address would be a reliable form of verification.

You asked Bill: "
    How did the Slovenian exchange turn out, or even come to know of you?" When I click on "View Your listings" I get a box that says " No listings available currently to US from this seller. They may have listings available only to their home country on eBid UK." I click on the link and all your listings appear. Clicking on the first listing that shows, I get this message: " Shipping is not available to United States for this item. View shipping options. Alternatively, tell seller you are interested and ask if they will ship to you. "

You can try it in reverse from eBid UK site with my listings to see how that works. Of course, they would somehow have to see your item in the first place and I'm not sure if they would have to be shopping on the eBid UK site or perhaps Google shopping is world wide and they would see your listing there???

I did mention once, when promoting my listings on the forums, that I was willing to ship to the UK. Got the comment "I can't see your listings", so I explained the 2 click process and was told that was too much bother. Oh, well.....

Have a great day!!

Shes

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Hi Shes, If you are referring to my listings they are all on hold at the moment while I revamp and revise. I will be opening them up to some international venues, although not sure if I will include the USA due to the current scamming which seems to emanate from there. There would be no real point in putting messages on my listings if they are not able to be viewed by the target audience. Or have I misunderstood?

Easier to show than tell - here's a screen shot of one of your listings as I see it. If you click on the first link of the statement, it shows you only ship to UK. If you click on the second link, it takes you down to the Q&A section where I could ask you if you would ship to me and what the cost would be. This shows up when you click on "No thanks" to International Shipping on your listing form. And, for obvious reasons, you can't see it when you view your own listings.

Name:  Alice s Adventures In Wonderland By Lewis Caroll  Used Hardback Book  9788497890571 on eBid Unit.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  26.9 KB

If you click on "view MY listings" under my picture to the left, you should see the whole process, as I described earlier.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Thanks for that, I've been on eBid for quite a long time but never knew about that. It is a pity that the link through to the home site is not more clearly labelled. Seeing the message that this item is not available to your country I have always departed.

Thread Information