eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping from the US to The UK

Default Re: Shipping from the US to The UK

Australia Post is no better

I live in NSW and purchased something from a big craft and fabric store in Australia on line and am still awaiting delivery for one of the items. It was sent on 9th October tracked it to in transit from several NSW hubs only to look up and track it today to find it is now in
    Western Australia!!
    https://sew-much-to-see.ebid.net
    https://dellswear.ebid.net
    https://the-dolls-boutique.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by rokins_toys View Post
    Are the USPS trying to price you out selling internationally and exporting! And I thought the people at Royal Mail were bad when it comes to pricing!
    The USPS isn't at fault; rather the US Congress decided a few decades ago to spin off the USPS from the government into a US-owned corporation (on the unproven and often false premise that corporations are always more efficient than government agencies). Constrained by mandates to provide certain services, and prevented by Congress from introducing efficiencies, USPS spun off yet further of its functions to private contractors, which gave them a short-term budget relief, but (as with military contractors) had the consequence of creating a dependence on outside for-profit contractors that becomes ever more expensive over the long term.

USPS has done brilliantly with what few options it has been allowed to manage its operations, but the cost consequences imbedded into the strange way it is forced to operate now must be passed on to postal patrons. The big beneficiaries have been UPS, FedEx, DHL and others whose own prices now have one less competitor. Prices on all US shippers have gone up across the board in lock-step. USPS is no longer a government "service," however, and it has indeed impacted small exports. As with other nations, we simply cannot compete with nations like China whose subsidized postal shipping allows them to offer a $0.98 item delivered halfway across the globe with free (or very low priced) shipping included. USPS used to offer slow, but very low-cost international shipping even to Australia, but no longer can do that under the Congressionally imposed setup.

I'll add that international postal conventions have been raising rates for the last legs of international deliveries, too. Seems every nation wants to pump up the price of its portion of the delivery. This also is contributing to the steep price of exporting across borders (cost rises between the US and Canada are a good illustration). Again, this is hurting small exporters who actually use international post (unlike large exporters such as Amazon who can afford to set up their own delivery systems independent of postal and other shipping providers).
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 15th October 2017 at 07:24 PM.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was actually going to ask who the operators of the USPS were, if it was gov/state owned or like with Royal Mail now sold off to the private sector where shareholders will be the black hole driving up prices higher than the actual cost of shipping itself.

I have always been aware that with international shipping there is this knock-on effect of a postal service in country a wants the postal service from country b to pay x amount to delivery mail in country a sent from country b.

I have seen the same thing happen at Royal Mail with signed/tracked services at the international level where the postal service in country a wants Royal Mail to pay them x amount for doing the tracking etc. so I can now pay an average £4.50 for tracked services on top of the price of the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    The USPS isn't at fault; rather the US Congress decided a few decades ago to spin off the USPS from the government into a US-owned corporation (on the unproven and often false premise that corporations are always more efficient than government agencies). Constrained by mandates to provide certain services, and prevented by Congress from introducing efficiencies, USPS spun off yet further of its functions to private contractors, which gave them a short-term budget relief, but (as with military contractors) had the consequence of creating a dependence on outside for-profit contractors that becomes ever more expensive over the long term.

USPS has done brilliantly with what few options it has been allowed to manage its operations, but the cost consequences imbedded into the strange way it is forced to operate now must be passed on to postal patrons. The big beneficiaries have been UPS, FedEx, DHL and others whose own prices now have one less competitor. Prices on all US shippers have gone up across the board in lock-step. USPS is no longer a government "service," however, and it has indeed impacted small exports. As with other nations, we simply cannot compete with nations like China whose subsidized postal shipping allows them to offer a $0.98 item delivered halfway across the globe with free (or very low priced) shipping included. USPS used to offer slow, but very low-cost international shipping even to Australia, but no longer can do that under the Congressionally imposed setup.

I'll add that international postal conventions have been raising rates for the last legs of international deliveries, too. Seems every nation wants to pump up the price of its portion of the delivery. This also is contributing to the steep price of exporting across borders (cost rises between the US and Canada are a good illustration). Again, this is hurting small exporters who actually use international post (unlike large exporters such as Amazon who can afford to set up their own delivery systems independent of postal and other shipping providers).
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information