My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Catergory figures anomaly

Thumbs down Catergory figures anomaly

I just listed my first item on Auction last night and am considering paying for the lifetime subscription so decided to investigate my options and see who else is selling similar items,this site could be a winner given a bit more visibility.
    I looked up the categories and figures for each and went about looking, then when going back to the categories noticed that the figure for that category I just looked at had changed dramatically, so I looked at a few more, please tell me this is just a website glitch.

Home and Garden : 91,337 looked again figure given was 525,190

Books and Comics : 219,702 then 146,479

Clothes, Shoes etc; :37,450 then 49,983

Sports Memorabilia : 294, 278 then 304, 460 then 297,668

Collectables : 791,075 then 623,502

Health and Beauty : 45,872 then 63,113

I could go on but it is clear there is a listing category problem and I hope the editor is reading this, these figures were taken in a matter of minutes and one category that showed it had several thousand listings had none at all, I await your responses.

Default Re: Catergory figures anomaly

I don't know that I can answer your question, but I can at least say "Hello & Welcome to eBid!"

The support staff is very good to check out website "glitches" but I do know at this time they are very busy making some important upgrades to the site and have been a bit slow to address the glitch posts. They are working on adding attributes to many of the categories and from what some other members have observed, including myself, there are changes being made to some of the categories & subcats as well.

Some possible reasons that numbers could change:

If you are Seller+ you have the option of choosing automatic relists, so when a batch of their items is ended the number of items in a category will be lowered, until they are auto-reposted, which will increase the number of items in the category.

There have been, in the past, a number of members who "post it & ignore it" - posting up to several thousand items and that remain forever under "Run Until Sold" and never coming back to the site unless they make a sale. A recent policy has been implemented that a seller must log into the site at least once every 60 (If I remember correctly) days or their items will be deleted - that could account for a drastic drop in the number if even one or more sellers were dropped. We don't need "stale" listings on the site - it looks bad

A lot of members use Ninja Lister or spread sheets, which allows them to prepare their listings off line and when they upload a huge batch of listings, the numbers will increase.

It's also getting to be the end of summer and "time to take that last summer vacation" before hunkering down for the winter. Sellers have the option to put their stores in "vacation mode" while they are going to be away and again, the numbers in a category will drop.

Those are just a couple of reasons that come to mind that may or may not be why you are seeing the change in numbers. The support staff here is VERY good and I'm sure as soon as they have the time, they will respond to your question.

I would encourage you to become a Lifetime Seller+, as you have so many more options and features at your disposal, i.e. just having a Standard listing does not allow you the option to show your item unless a buyer goes directly to your listing and most buyers these days just don't want to take the time to go to a listing to "see" if the item appeals. I have to admit, when I'm searching a category for something I want to buy, I don't read the description, I just look at the pics

Again, welcome to eBid and Happy Selling!!

Thanks for your response, it may be that the anomalies encountered are due to program changes, it is disappointing when looking for an alternative platform to see these anomalies, it is also a shame that more people aren't looking to use this site rather than the more mundane and greedy other website that shall remain nameless
    Listing until sold will encourage some to just wallpaper the site with their goods and then just wait for sales to remind them that they did actually use Ebid, good idea 60 day return
    I just posted one item using a buyer account so it is auction which means that even if people took an interest it would be near thirty days before I see a result, I need a website that gets plenty of visitors and hopefully the changes will help to bring those to Ebid, for now I will watch for a few weeks and then decide if I want to have a Seller + account or go it alone and build my own website .Thanks again. John

I am not an expert on this site and the reasons I suggested MAY or MAY not be valid. There were a lot of views on your post but no responses (perhaps because they didn't know the answer either?) and I didn't want you feel you were being ignored - that would be a bad first impression!

I wish I could say we all have tons of visits and sales, but especially in the US, eBid is not as well known as it is in the UK. In checking traffic flow to all ecommerce sites, traffic is slow all over. I don't get any compensation for encouraging you to go Seller+, but if you want to be a serious seller here, it's really the way to go due to all the added benefits you get. The one time fee is going to be a lot less than than what you will spend starting your own website and you'll probably spend less time promoting your store here than you will have to spend promoting a new website.

This site IS different than "the other one" and selling needs to be approached with a different mindset. Take time to read the selling FAQs under the help button at the top of each page - lots of good information there and in the Forums to help you understand the difference. I.e., we don't have "bidding wars" here so you should start your auction at the price you want to get out of it and not have a reserve on it. Most of my sales come from "new to the site" buyers who have seen my item on Google Shopping and they use the "Buy It Now" feature - everybody is in a hurry these days - no one wants to wait for an auction to end. I run my stores more like Brick & Mortar stores - setting my price at the least I want to take (I am wanting to rid myself of what I have left after years of being in the Antique/Collectibles business) and if it is something that is taking up a lot of space, I use the "Make An Offer" option.

Be sure to import your feedback from other sites, fill out your "All About Me" page - those things give buyers confidence in you. Feel free to browse my Stores or any of the other stores from long time sellers) to get some ideas and if you have any questions, feel free to Private Message me (Notifications link at the top of the page takes you to your Inbox.)

Shes

Thanks again for your response , my questions as you no doubt will have worked out are partly fishing trip, partly trying to find out if it is worth my while taking part here.
    That is a novel idea about auction set price and I'm will take that on board, can't agree on transferring feedback from other sites whilst it may look impressive it isn't honest and to be honest your feedback can quickly get tainted by one angry customer so I don't worry too much about it, best just to give good honest service and quality goods.
    John

Hey, John
    I see from another post that you had a problem seeing my stores and that's because I forgot you were in the UK and I don't sell there often. A quick way to get to a specific seller's listings is to view their "All About Me" page, click on "View Their Listings" and in my case you will get a message that starts with "No listings available currently to..." and a link to click on eBid US. That should do it. If you want to view all US listings just go up to your address bar and switch the "uk" to uS" - delete any remaining part of the address and you will get the US home page.

I would love to sell in the UK and do, on occasion but only with very small, light weight items. Shipping from the US to any other country is VERY high, shipping the same item from the UK to the US is almost half the price. I am in the process of opening 2 more stores and as I add and edit items, there will be some that I will offer to the UK IF they are unique, one of a kind that might not be available - but it's pointless if you can get the same item in the UK - possibly at a higher price for the actual item, but cost prohibitive when postage is included.

Regarding imported feedback, there are many opinions on doing it. I look at it this way: if you were to apply for a job and not have a resume, detailing your past experience, you probably wouldn't get the job. Imported feedback lets buyers know that you have "experience" as a seller, even if it from another site. Personally, with all the scams that go on in ecommerce, I would not buy from a seller who has zero feedback - how else would I know they give honest service and really do have quality merchandise? (See Fraud & Feedback under FAQs) Feedback, as well as listings you have on other sites can only be imported with Seller+.

Thread Information