My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2c Deposit to PayPal account ?

Default Re: 2c Deposit to PayPal account ?

I've had a penny put into my Paypal account and two echeques for several thousand pounds over the last few weeks.

I cancelled the first one myself and spoke to Paypal on the phone and they said I had done the right thing. They cancelled the second one before I got to it. Both were related to a sale made here.

The day after the second echeque was cancelled I received one of those fake Paypal emails but it was a nasty one. Paypal blocked it when I forwarded it on to them, as it had something damaging attached, and advised me to delete it straight away. So beware !

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Good morning.

Thanks to all for the responses and the help.

After I noticed the 2c deposit last night, I emailed PayPal and I changed my password. The guy had a gmail account, if I remember correctly.

I just emailed eBid this morning.

It seems that lately there are more *buyers* that don't pass eBid's security checks, than I've ever had since I started selling here. Thank goodness for the eBid security checks and excellent support. I, too, haven't sold a thing on eBay for several years.

It's too bad that there are so many scammers around. Thieves, scammers, treacherous people. Frustrating.
    Not sure of the veracity of this but IIRC ebid guests do not have to undergo verification, it is assumed that the ID process they went through on the site that they use the details of to sign in is enough. That is all very well but Google and Facebook do not as far as I know do any kind of checking, let alone of a financial type to verify that the details actually relate to the person allegedly registering.

Hopefully the eBid team will do something to change this system. Alternatively maybe we could have the option of only dealing with eBid members and not itinerant "guests".
    Last edited by lofty100e; 18th September 2017 at 07:07 PM.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Not sure of the veracity of this but IIRC ebid guests do not have to undergo verification, it is assumed that the ID process they went through on the site that they use the details of to sign in is enough. That is all very well but Google and Facebook do not as far as I know do any kind of checking, let alone of a financial type to verify that the details actually relate to the person allegedly registering.

Hopefully the eBid team will do something to change this system. Alternatively maybe we could have the option of only dealing with eBid members and not itinerant "guests".
    i completely agree, we as sellers can not see if these so called buyers are reg or guest, ebid will know they can check if this latest run is indeed guests, or not,

i was against this idea when it first was proposed.

we need verified buyers only, sellers will leave if there scammed
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

I don't know. Maybe the change in requirements for buyer registration is having an impact. Lately I've had a NPB, two buyers who didn't pass security checks, and an established eBid buyer / seller who purchased in error and asked me to cancel. This buyer stated that they thought eBid had a basket / cart function and got muddled up and bought it instead.

Also, it is rare these days the buyers that do pay leave any feedback. The times they are a changin' some more.

I heard back from eBid. It's great that eBid takes security seriously. Nothing that can be done, but eBid has the gmail account that they used on file.

I also heard back from PayPal, and the response was that the person probably just sent me 2c in error. PayPal gave me instructions on how to do a family and friends transfer.

Anyway, if something else does come of it, I've got an initial report in to PayPal.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

"the person probably just sent me 2c in error."

yeah right the person tapped in your email, tapped in the amount, and then sent, i might just buy it if the amount was $10. or similar but 2cents who sends two cents, coupled with the fact your not the only one on ebid to have had this "error" i think PP are fobbing you off, they cant prove anything even though it must look suspicious to them, they will never admit a person or group are using PP as a scam, bit like your doctor they dont like to admit certain drugs have side effects, PP has side effects !

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    "the person probably just sent me 2c in error."

yeah right the person tapped in your email, tapped in the amount, and then sent, i might just buy it if the amount was $10. or similar but 2cents who sends two cents, coupled with the fact your not the only one on ebid to have had this "error" i think PP are fobbing you off, they cant prove anything even though it must look suspicious to them, they will never admit a person or group are using PP as a scam, bit like your doctor they dont like to admit certain drugs have side effects, PP has side effects !
    Yes, Sid. I agree that this was a flippant response from PayPal, and I don't accept that this was deposited in error.

But, that was the response I got. At this point in time, no further activity has gone on in my account and I will continue to monitor it closely.

If something does transpire, at least I have an initial report on file with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Someone made a deposit to my account. What kind of a scam is this? Anyone know?

Thanks.
    I too received a 1p deposit to my account yesterday for no reason.
    Phoned PayPal just now and they have reversed the payment and passed it over to their security department to look into.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

me thinks every one who has been hit needs to compare notes, what is the common ground for these hits?

for instance do all the uk members or any one outside the USA ship to the USA ? eg ive not been hit but i dont ship to the USA

Yes it's all overseas stuff Sid. Mine had addresses in Russia and the USA but that doesn't mean anything. With the Russian transaction the echeque came through on Paypal with an address from the USA so I don't think you could pin it down, they could be anywhere ! I'm just glad eBid blocks them when the IP address doesn't match.

All-About sidthelamp
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Yes it's all overseas stuff Sid. Mine had addresses in Russia and the USA but that doesn't mean anything. With the Russian transaction the echeque came through on Paypal with an address from the USA so I don't think you could pin it down, they could be anywhere ! I'm just glad eBid blocks them when the IP address doesn't match.
    i remember you having one from russia which on the face of it does not fit any pattern, why i ask if members if they ship to the USA or not is to find the "root" the scammers for want of a better word must be getting the email addy , is this related to a sale or non sale to the USA ie cancelled ,not paid. im not saying its directly related to sales in the USA , im trying to find out if its related, as i say i dont ship to the USA at the moment but i was hopping to expand in that direction i certainly wont be doing till i have more information,

Thread Information