My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: New Pay Pal Cards

Default New Pay Pal Cards

The other day I received a new Pay Pal debit card in the mail and was surprised, as my old card was not set to expire for another 2 years. I got an e-mail this morning reminding me to activate it and since I no longer use links in e-mails to respond to situations like this (even though it appeared to be "official" from Pay Pal) I called them and was told that yes, they are sending out new cards. She asked me to verify the last 4 numbers on the card and verified it was sent from them. The new cards have a micro chip for extra security and the account number is on the back of the card "so it's easier to shield from prying eyes". The card also has a new account number.

So, it seems this is Pay Pal's way of trying to deal with some of the fraudulent transactions taking place. The lady I spoke to asked me several security questions and activated the card for me so I wouldn't have to do it online. I mentioned fraud was a big topic of discussion on the site forums but that I hadn't seen any mention of new cards being issued. She told me that everyone who presently has a card will get a new one, but that they can only send out so many at one time.

I'm happy to see that they are taking some kind of action to protect us

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: New Pay Pal Cards

I've never heard of a P'pal debit card? Not sure they are available down here, OR are they something only for Business accounts??
    They (PP) certainly are taking extra security steps IMHO, as every time I log in to my account of late, I have to go through a phone confirmation process.
    This involves them giving me a link to a 4 digit code number that needs to be repeated by the phone key pad, when they ring my registered phone number. Only then do I gain access to my online account.
    It's all a bit of a hassle, but if it protects our accounts from the scammers, then its a price I'm happy to pay!

Thanks for the warning she's are these the ones connected straight through to your paypal account, as ours does not expire for just over two years either, no that we use it out and about that much as buy the time i am finished there is usually nothing left.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a Paypal card. I have never used it as I transfer funds from my Paypal account to my bank account on-line.

For those who don't know how it works. It comes with a pin number so I could get cash from my Paypal account by using the card at a cashpoint.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I too had a paypal card but it has now expired and i wasnt sent a new one. I used it to pay the postage on my items then withdrew the remainder, i never had any problem with mine nor heard any stories of fraud.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

OLD - yes, the card says "business debit" so if you only have a personal account I don't know if you could get a card or not. And I agree, it is worth the hassle if it gives us more protection.

BUTTONS - you're welcome and yes, it is the card connected with your account. I think changing cards 2 years before they "needed" to is due to the fraud - the woman I spoke to did not say those exact words, but alluded to it in our conversation.

MOONIE - the only time I've ever used mine was to get some cash from the autoteller when I was going to yard sales and ran out! Most of the time it just collects dust in my wallet - LOL!!!

MAELBRIGDA - I've had Pay Pal since 2000 and always had a card sent just prior to the old one expiring - I don't know why they wouldn't have sent you another one, unless you changed your account to a personal account?? In all that time I never had any problems with Pay Pal until this recent craziness started up.
    Last edited by Shesawaya38485; 27th October 2017 at 01:42 PM.

I got a letter detailing the changes about two weeks ago. I have had my business Pay Pal account for almost 20 years and they have always sent a letter explaining any changes they are going to make to the account or the card. Mine should be arriving next week. Hope it doesn't have the problem with a chip like a lot of the other credit cards are having.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Considering PayPal is not a Banking institution, I do not keep any money in my account with them. Thus, it doesn't make much sense to have a PayPal debit card. Personally, I prefer my money be in an FDIC insured and regulated bank. PayPal, as far as I know, is still only licensed here in Florida, USA as a money transfer agent.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff01 View Post
    I got a letter detailing the changes about two weeks ago. I have had my business Pay Pal account for almost 20 years and they have always sent a letter explaining any changes they are going to make to the account or the card. Mine should be arriving next week. Hope it doesn't have the problem with a chip like a lot of the other credit cards are having.
    It still has the magnetic stripe if you need to use it on an older terminal that doesn't recognize chips. Retailers here seem to be slow at updating their terminals

Thread Information