eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Buyer no longer active after paying.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Buyer no longer active after paying.

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    .........., PP ARE CERTAINLY refunding, anyways i feel theres not enough information coming forward to know whats really going on,.
    PP also locked down the person's a/c and I suspect they do that with each suspicious transaction.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    PP also locked down the person's a/c and I suspect they do that with each suspicious transaction.
    yep thats good, but it still happening they must check IP addys so are we to believe this is multiple users,? ebid must feel there between a rock and a hard place on this. i really do feel for every one who has been affected by this.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post
    Have received an answer from Support to my question above. I include it here for the sake of completeness & benefit of all.
    I thank them & shall be following their advice.

Hi Allen,

Thank you for your email.

We would suggest not making any refund at this time, it is likely Paypal will cancel the payment at some stage. If you are contacted by your payment provider you can advise them we believe the customer to have registered fraudulently. Should you receive further funds from the counterparties we would also advise you contacting your payment provider. Do not return funds.

Hmmm,
    I had a sale from the USA who didn't pay shipping so I sent them a quetion if they wanted to cancel the sale or for me to send an additional invoice for the missed shipping.

2 days later they had a line through their name and were no longer active.
    So I refunded via PayPal and marked as refunded here.

On Wednesday I received an email from PayPal saying the sale was being looked into as a result of the buyers bank and the funds had been frozen until sorted.

So I phoned them and told them I had already refunded the money 2 days earlier, they replied that it was the buyers bank who had put a hold/query on the funds as they hadn't been claimed back yet and that I had nothing to worry about.

Jason

i see in another thread you asked PP to refund and they did the other one , shesawaya and JB and Sarge both stated in this thread and another they refunded , so theres a mix, PP ARE CERTAINLY refunding, anyways i feel theres not enough information coming forward to know whats really going on, i shall not be expanding into the USA till this all goes away.
    Just to set the record straight, I personally never did any refunding - always had it done by calling PP. As I stated in the 2c Deposit to PayPal thread:

"I've had Pay Pal on "speed dial" for the past week - 4 fraudulent transactions posted to my account. I explained the first two and the outcomes in this thread - only the first was directly related to eBid:
    Buyer no longer active after paying.

Since those two, I've had two 1 cent transactions posted to my Pay Pal account in the past two days - both by the same person. From the time I have spent this week, researching Pay Pal & fraud transactions in general, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to call Pay Pal and have them refund or refuse the transactions so that the scammer does not know it is an active account as they would if refunded by the account holder."

Since making that post I have done extensive research online because I always want to know "why"! This situation we are in is NOT happening due to anything that has to do with eBid or PayPal. Both sites are "victims" just like those of us who have had to deal with the fraudulent transactions. eBid and Pay Pal are just the "common denominator" that we have on this site. The eBid team is working hard (probably day and night) to protect us here. I've seen the comment recently posted about "where are the updates?" and has anybody noticed that Website Glitches have not been addressed as quickly as usual?? Keeping us safe from fraud has had to take priority these days.

There are 3 different kinds of fraud that have been discussed here and what I recommend you do is based on the extensive research I have done and my personal experiences:

Fake Accounts - I believe that the eBid staff is catching most if not all of these, so if you are notified by eBid that you have made a sale (even if it's been paid for through Pay Pal), go first to the eBid site and see if the account has been lined through. If it has - do NOT ship - trust eBid. If it has been paid for through Pay Pal even if PP says it is okay to ship, call them and ask them to refund the money, including your 30 cent non-refundable fee (they won't do that if you don't insist) - do NOT refund it yourself. Let them know it is a fraudulent purchase. I was told by Pay Pal that any of the money that is sent for a purchase, full amount or not, is most likely from a stolen credit card and when the owner of the account reports an unauthorized transaction, an investigation is started. Anyone who is involved with receiving the money, including Pay Pal and the innocent recipient of the money will be charged a fee to cover the cost of the investigation - even though the original payment is refunded to the actual account holder. I have a "backdoor" number for US residents to call so you can avoid waiting on hold or hanging around waiting for a call back - 1-888-221-1161. I was told if I had to call again to ask for the Limitations Department - I think that is their nice name for fraud - lol!!!

E-checks being deposited in Pay Pal - mine was followed by an e-mail stating that the sender had posted to the wrong account, asked if I would please refund the money because he could not cancel the e-check and needed to get it to the right account ASAP. When I called Pay Pal, I was told that e-checks are held for 5 days before actually approving the deposit. I told him that it was a fraudulent transaction and it was canceled in less than 2 days.

Penny Payments - as I said in one thread or the other, this is a "fishing expedition". The first was sent as a payment for goods and was told "okay to ship" by Pay Pal. I again called Pay Pal and told them it was a fraudulent payment and asked them to return the money. The second penny payment was sent the next day by the same name as the first, but this time through Friends and Family so there was no fee involved. Again I called Pay Pal and was told I could actually keep the penny because it was a gift. I told him it was fraud and asked him to refuse it.

I know I am repeating myself with things I've said in other posts but this is a bad thing that is happening and I don't want to see anyone that I know to get caught up in any kind of fraud situation.

As Ive also said before, our "common denominator" is eBid and PayPal but there is no telling what other sites may be affected. I think it was 15 August that the first report was made on here, it is still continuing and no telling how long it will continue. The staff here is not going to give you more than vague responses, so e-mailing them is just going to take up their time that is better spent fighting the fraud.

The best thing you can do is to make sure your computer has a high degree of protection and change the passwords to any important accounts that you visit online as well as your e-mail accounts. The hardest passwords to crack need to be at least 20+ characters in length and don't use the same password on more than one site.

If you get any Spam e-mail, or e-mail from someone you don't know, do NOT open it. It used to be that clicking on a link in a spam e-mail could cause bad things to happen to your computer, but these days just opening one can do the same thing. I also suggest that if you get an e-mail, say from Pay Pal or some other site you regularly do business with, just go straight to that site and check your account.

No need to panic, make rash decisions about selling here or jump to wrong conclusions, you are safe on eBid. Just be vigilant and take steps to protect yourself, especially if you have been involved in one of the above scenarios or of you are getting a lot more e-mail spam than usual. And if it hasn't happened to you, there is the possibility that it just hasn't happened yet.
    Last edited by Shesawaya38485; 29th September 2017 at 04:18 PM.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post
    Just to set the record straight, I personally never did any refunding - always had it done by calling PP. As I stated in the 2c Deposit to PayPal thread:

"I've had Pay Pal on "speed dial" for the past week - 4 fraudulent transactions posted to my account. I explained the first two and the outcomes in this thread - only the first was directly related to eBid:

Since those two, I've had two 1 cent transactions posted to my Pay Pal account in the past two days - both by the same person. From the time I have spent this week, researching Pay Pal & fraud transactions in general, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to call Pay Pal and have them refund or refuse the transactions so that the scammer does not know it is an active account as they would if refunded by the account holder."

Since making that post I have done extensive research online because I always want to know "why"! This situation we are in is NOT happening due to anything that has to do with eBid or PayPal. Both sites are "victims" just like those of us who have had to deal with the fraudulent transactions. eBid and Pay Pal are just the "common denominator" that we have on this site. The eBid team is working hard (probably day and night) to protect us here. I've seen the comment recently posted about "where are the updates?" and has anybody noticed that Website Glitches have not been addressed as quickly as usual?? Keeping us safe from fraud has had to take priority these days.

There are 3 different kinds of fraud that have been discussed here and what I recommend you do is based on the extensive research I have done and my personal experiences:

Fake Accounts - I believe that the eBid staff is catching most if not all of these, so if you are notified by eBid that you have made a sale (even if it's been paid for through Pay Pal), go first to the eBid site and see if the account has been lined through. If it has - do NOT ship - trust eBid. If it has been paid for through Pay Pal even if PP says it is okay to ship, call them and ask them to refund the money, including your 30 cent non-refundable fee (they won't do that if you don't insist) - do NOT refund it yourself. Let them know it is a fraudulent purchase. I was told by Pay Pal that any of the money that is sent for a purchase, full amount or not, is most likely from a stolen credit card and when the owner of the account reports an unauthorized transaction, an investigation is started. Anyone who is involved with receiving the money, including Pay Pal and the innocent recipient of the money will be charged a fee to cover the cost of the investigation - even though the original payment is refunded to the actual account holder. I have a "backdoor" number for US residents to call so you can avoid waiting on hold or hanging around waiting for a call back - 1-888-221-1161. I was told if I had to call again to ask for the Limitations Department - I think that is their nice name for fraud - lol!!!

E-checks being deposited in Pay Pal - mine was followed by an e-mail stating that the sender had posted to the wrong account, asked if I would please refund the money because he could not cancel the e-check and needed to get it to the right account ASAP. When I called Pay Pal, I was told that e-checks are held for 5 days before actually approving the deposit. I told him that it was a fraudulent transaction and it was canceled in less than 2 days.

Penny Payments - as I said in one thread or the other, this is a "fishing expedition". The first was sent as a payment for goods and was told "okay to ship" by Pay Pal. I again called Pay Pal and told them it was a fraudulent payment and asked them to return the money. The second penny payment was sent the next day by the same name as the first, but this time through Friends and Family so there was no fee involved. Again I called Pay Pal and was told I could actually keep the penny because it was a gift. I told him it was fraud and asked him to refuse it.

I know I am repeating myself with things I've said in other posts but this is a bad thing that is happening and I don't want to see anyone that I know to get caught up in any kind of fraud situation.

As Ive also said before, our "common denominator" is eBid and PayPal but there is no telling what other sites may be affected. I think it was 15 August that the first report was made on here, it is still continuing and no telling how long it will continue. The staff here is not going to give you more than vague responses, so e-mailing them is just going to take up their time that is better spent fighting the fraud.

The best thing you can do is to make sure your computer has a high degree of protection and change the passwords to any important accounts that you visit online as well as your e-mail accounts. The hardest passwords to crack need to be at least 20+ characters in length and don't use the same password on more than one site.

If you get any Spam e-mail, or e-mail from someone you don't know, do NOT open it. It used to be that clicking on a link in a spam e-mail could cause bad things to happen to your computer, but these days just opening one can do the same thing. I also suggest that if you get an e-mail, say from Pay Pal or some other site you regularly do business with, just go straight to that site and check your account.

No need to panic, make rash decisions about selling here or jump to wrong conclusions, you are safe on eBid. Just be vigilant and take steps to protect yourself, especially if you have been involved in one of the above scenarios or of you are getting a lot more e-mail spam than usual. And if it hasn't happened to you, there is the possibility that it just hasn't happened yet.
    "I called Pay Pal and reported a fraudulent payment for a purchase that was returned to me. I was advised to refund the purchase or I could be caught up in an investigation myself if the real owner tried to do a charge back on their credit card account. When I told the rep that I was now out of pocket for "

considering you never said anything to the contrary its a fair assumption you refunded the only thing paypal refunded was the fee to you,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

"I called Pay Pal and reported a fraudulent payment for a purchase that was returned to me. I was advised to refund the purchase or I could be caught up in an investigation myself if the real owner tried to do a charge back on their credit card account. When I told the rep that I was now out of pocket for "

considering you never said anything to the contrary its a fair assumption you refunded the only thing paypal refunded was the fee to you,
    Sorry, Sid - forgot about that post and I could have been more clear - since I was on the phone with the rep asking what to do, I was advised to refund and he did it for me while I was on the phone - then I asked about the money I was out for shipping, etc. Can I claim "feeling like a victim stress" for not being more clear at that time???
    Last edited by Shesawaya38485; 22nd September 2017 at 03:15 PM.

View EalingBob's Feedback (+1206)
    All-About EalingBob
    View EalingBob's Listings
    Forum Posts

I find this all very strange, yesterday I had a buyer in Texas buy a single stamp, I was checking them out myself as they where a new buyer with no feedback and as I was doing so a payment came through from Paypal, I marked the sale as payment received and as it was getting late thought I would sort the rest this morning, I then get a message from from Ebid Auction Patrol team telling me to cancel the sale and relist the item, I have canceled the sale and refunded the payment, then my curiosity aroused I checked out the buyer myself, he is in fact a upper end antique dealer living in a what looks like a better area of Dallas......confused

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandrafirebird View Post
    I find this all very strange, yesterday I had a buyer in Texas buy a single stamp, I was checking them out myself as they where a new buyer with no feedback and as I was doing so a payment came through from Paypal, I marked the sale as payment received and as it was getting late thought I would sort the rest this morning, I then get a message from from Ebid Auction Patrol team telling me to cancel the sale and relist the item, I have canceled the sale and refunded the payment, then my curiosity aroused I checked out the buyer myself, he is in fact a upper end antique dealer living in a what looks like a better area of Dallas......confused
    Exactly the same situation I was in. Glad you've taken Supports advice!

A scammer probably using someone else's name & address i.e. a totally fictitious identity & a fraudulent account attempt, spotted by Ebid.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post

ALL good advice I'm sure from Shesa & well worth repeating!

Thread Information