eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change Postage fees on current listing?

Forum Newbie
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    All-About Manor44
    View Manor44's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How to change Postage fees on current listing?

I have a listing where the shipping costs have increased. Is there a way of amending a current listing to show the new charges? I cannot use the edit facility to change the old price shown. Do I have to start a new listing in order to do this? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How to change Postage fees on current listing?

4) How can I edit listings I'm running?

Click on "Edit/Close Listing" on the individual page for the listing you wish to change. Enter your details, some things cannot be changed once a bid has been placed. If you have posted an listing with a quantity of 1 (single-item auction) you will not be able to edit the quantity to a larger amount. Listings with quantities greater than 1 are multi-item listings and have a different bidding process, these can be changed to any quantity between 2 and 99.

There is also an option to Bulk Edit multiple listings at once- Go to My eBid > My Bulk Edit for more information.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I guess you mean that you have a listing with many available, and some already sold.

It seems that the principle of "you can't change the price once you have a bid" gets extended to multi items available. Personally I think this is a bug that could be fixed.

But you are right; you have to close your listing and start again
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

No, it's not a bug. Once an item sells, on any type of listing, the listing forms part of the contract between buyer and seller. Thus it cannot be subsequently altered in any way that impacts on a previous transaction.

Imagine you could...

Seller lists 10 off 18 carat gold rings and a buyer purchases 2. Seller then sends 2 off 9 carat gold rings to the buyer and edits the listing to read 9 carat gold. Where does the buyer now stand? The listing now says the rings are 9 carat and they got 9 carat.

The same applies to most parts of a listing once anything sells.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    But you are right; you have to close your listing and start again
    Not 'start again'. Close and repost. That will give you the old listing intact with the ability to edit the fields you wish. The listing will have a new ID when reposted and the original listing, under which the previous items sold, will still exist under the old ID as the contract between the previous buyer(s) and seller.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    No, it's not a bug. Once an item sells, on any type of listing, the listing forms part of the contract between buyer and seller. Thus it cannot be subsequently altered in any way that impacts on a previous transaction.

Imagine you could...

Seller lists 10 off 18 carat gold rings and a buyer purchases 2. Seller then sends 2 off 9 carat gold rings to the buyer and edits the listing to read 9 carat gold. Where does the buyer now stand? The listing now says the rings are 9 carat and they got 9 carat.

The same applies to most parts of a listing once anything sells.
    Yes it is a bug.

If I have 10 to sell, the contract should be just as changeable between 1 and 2 as it is between 0 and 1 when conditions can be changed. Each of 10 sales is a firm contract but the contract for others should be adaptable as time goes by.

It cannot be right that multiple items are inadvisable in March when postage is about to change, but advisable in April when postage rates will be the same for a year.

It is like saying that if M&S have 100 items to sell in February, they cannot put the remaining 50 in a sale in April.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    Yes it is a bug.
    No its not.

If I have 10 to sell, the contract should be just as changeable between 1 and 2 as it is between 0 and 1 when conditions can be changed. Each of 10 sales is a firm contract but the contract for others should be adaptable as time goes by.
    Between 0 and 1 no sales have been made and so no contract exists thus changes can be made. Between 1 and 2 existing contracts are in effect so changes to that contract cannot be made; a new contract with the desired changes must be created to cover future sales.

It cannot be right that multiple items are inadvisable in March when postage is about to change, but advisable in April when postage rates will be the same for a year.
    Not sure in what context you are using the word 'inadvisable', but changes cannot be made to a most fields of a listing with existing sales at any time of the year. The time of year is irrelevant.

It is like saying that if M&S have 100 items to sell in February, they cannot put the remaining 50 in a sale in April.
    Not really comparable.

Forum Newbie
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    All-About Manor44
    View Manor44's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the input. I was not looking to change anything within the listing apart from the shipping cost which would obviously only apply to new customers. Sticking with that point I find it rather strange that since couriers frequently change their prices we are not able to reflect and pass this on in our multi-item listings unless we repost. Ah well!!

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    No its not.

Between 0 and 1 no sales have been made and so no contract exists thus changes can be made. Between 1 and 2 existing contracts are in effect so changes to that contract cannot be made; a new contract with the desired changes must be created to cover future sales.

Agreed the existing contract at the time of sale shouldn't be changed. But I see no problem with changing the terms for the subsequent items, currently unsold.

Well, almost no problem... a minor problem for the web designer perhaps, but hopefully he's smart enough to figure that out!

Amazon do it all the time.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 14th December 2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Add Amazon as example
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Agreed the existing contract at the time of sale shouldn't be changed. But I see no problem with changing the terms for the subsequent items, currently unsold.
    But the listing is the contract. If it's allowed to be materially altered then there is no independent record of the original contract on the site. Thus the only option is to preserve the original contract and require a new contract be created (by reposting) for future sales under new terms. The only other way would be to preserve a copy of every listing as it currently exists against every sale made - just in case a seller might want to alter it between sales.

For the odd times the situation arises I see little difference for the seller between editing a listing and reposting it; just a couple of extra clicks.

Thread Information