Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying from a seller who is on holiday

Forum Newbie
    View whyallaboy's Feedback (+81)
    All-About whyallaboy
    View whyallaboy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Buying from a seller who is on holiday

I have out a watch on quite a few items from a seller I have used before - I cannot buy as he is on holidays until the second week of August - I cannot understand why I cannot buy - I do not mind waiting to pay for the items - I simply do not understand the reasoning behind this - I have a mind to remove my watch and simply forget about buying - I want all of the items and because I am not from the UK it is very possible that someone in the UK will buy in front of me while I sleep - trying to fathom the logic behind this - it does not happen on eBay - you buy and wait for an invoice and you pay - simple but wait to buy - why ?????

Default Re: Buying from a seller who is on holiday

I think you need to see it from a seller's point of view. Usually if I am going away for a few days somewhere local then I will put up a holiday notice and leave my listings running. This summer however I shall be going somewhere where I know there is not good wyfi reception, so I can't keep an eye on what is going on, so I shall have to close my listings for a while. It is a worry if you are out of the country and don't have the internet and then you get a disgruntled buyer who wants the item straight away and you can't even leave them a message to explain the situation.

One of the problems is that eBid have changed the design of the holiday notices and we can no longer use colour to make the notice really eye catching. This is a worry that someone might buy and not realize the seller is away resulting in bad feedback and maybe a Paypal dispute being opened in their absence. We have asked eBid to improve the holiday notices but it has fallen on deaf ears.

I doubt that you would get much competition on their return as it isn't so busy here as on the bigger sites so I would go ahead put the items on your watch list until they get back
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 26th July 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    This summer however I shall be going somewhere where I know there is not good wifi reception, so I can't keep an eye on what is going on, so I shall have to close my listings for a while. It is a worry if you are out of the country and don't have the internet and then you get a disgruntled buyer who wants the item straight away and you can't even leave them a message to explain the situation.

One of the problems is that eBid have changed the design of the holiday notices and we can no longer use colour to make the notice really eye catching. This is a worry that someone might buy and not realize the seller is away resulting in bad feedback and maybe a Paypal dispute being opened in their absence. We have asked eBid to improve the holiday notices but it has fallen of deaf ears.
    I shall be doing the same later this summer for the same reason. It's only when you don't allow bids with a Holiday Notice up that it gets put into a coloured band !

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    I shall be doing the same later this summer for the same reason. It's only when you don't allow bids with a Holiday Notice up that it gets put into a coloured band !
    Lol, where's the logic in that ?!!!

Sigh, it used to be so much better at the top of the page and when you could use colour to highlight the message. I do wish they hadn't changed that.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I do miss the colors as well.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whyallaboy View Post
    I have out a watch on quite a few items from a seller I have used before - I cannot buy as he is on holidays until the second week of August - I cannot understand why I cannot buy - I do not mind waiting to pay for the items - I simply do not understand the reasoning behind this - I have a mind to remove my watch and simply forget about buying - I want all of the items and because I am not from the UK it is very possible that someone in the UK will buy in front of me while I sleep - trying to fathom the logic behind this - it does not happen on eBay - you buy and wait for an invoice and you pay - simple but wait to buy - why ?????
    When I am away for a long period I close my shop, I think that is a courtesy to customers. I think that many buyers will not be willing to wait 2 weeks for dispatch.
    When I am away up to two weeks I put a notice up saying the next dispatch date is XX XX XX, but in the meantime you can bid and buy.

Do you think when I go to Thailand for winter on January 9th next year I should put up a notice saying the next dispatch date is 10 March 2018 but you can bid and pay while I am away?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    Do you think when I go to Thailand for winter on January 9th next year I should put up a notice saying the next dispatch date is 10 March 2018 but you can bid and pay while I am away?
    Since I'm not a stamp buyer my answer is academic. But, if all buyers were like me and actually read (oh happy day that would be!) then yes, if you had what I wanted and I wasn't in a hurry, sure.

In the real world of course half the buyers would buy on Jan 9 and then moan incessantly at (in their view) such poor service.

Have a great trip, Bill!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Newbie
    View whyallaboy's Feedback (+81)
    All-About whyallaboy
    View whyallaboy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    When I am away for a long period I close my shop, I think that is a courtesy to customers. I think that many buyers will not be willing to wait 2 weeks for dispatch.
    When I am away up to two weeks I put a notice up saying the next dispatch date is XX XX XX, but in the meantime you can bid and buy.

It seems all the responses I am getting are from sellers - no buyers out there - I have to wait two to three weeks for stamps to arrive any way so extra time is not of importance to me - I was attracted to the seller by just two stamps and when this happens I look at the sellers other items so that the postage can be spread over more items - if the original two items sell before i can get to them I will remove all watches on other items and not buy - one seller has said there are not many buyers around any way then surely it is important that my purchase be allowed - also I have been inundated with eMails telling me that the items will end at a certain time but I cannot do anything because the seller is away - when I do go online I find the items seem to still be there but are they - had to wade through numerous useless eMails yesterday that were intermingled with important ones and remove as I went - was annoyed. I see the sellers point as I am one on another site but as a buyer it sucks.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whyallaboy View Post
    It seems all the responses I am getting are from sellers - no buyers out there - I have to wait two to three weeks for stamps to arrive any way so extra time is not of importance to me - I was attracted to the seller by just two stamps and when this happens I look at the sellers other items so that the postage can be spread over more items - if the original two items sell before i can get to them I will remove all watches on other items and not buy - one seller has said there are not many buyers around any way then surely it is important that my purchase be allowed - also I have been inundated with eMails telling me that the items will end at a certain time but I cannot do anything because the seller is away - when I do go online I find the items seem to still be there but are they - had to wade through numerous useless eMails yesterday that were intermingled with important ones and remove as I went - was annoyed. I see the sellers point as I am one on another site but as a buyer it sucks.
    If every buyer was like you and actually read the details of a listing your idea would be fine. Unfortunately, Johnwash is right. Much simpler to put items on holiday

Whyallaboy: it sounds to me as if the stamps you wanted were on auction and had no Buy It Now price?

If so, seems like a reminder to sellers of the wisdom of including a BIN price in listings. My impression over the past 10 years is that more and more people are impatient, they want it NOW, and will often pay a little extra to avoid waiting.

Off topic: and now I must go to the local postal sorting office (4 mails away) because I've received a card telling me some bozo has sent me something with insufficient postage, so I must pay £2 to obtain it. And I have no idea what it is, I'm not expecting anything, might even be some marketing gizmo. Grrrr.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information