Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crochet advice please..

Default Crochet advice please..

Back in the Sixties, I crocheted a beautiful long sleeved coat to wear over my mini dress Now, I have decided to pick up the hobby once again but it is not like falling off a bike: I simply cannot get back on with it.
    Please, for a start, I need a 4mm hook for DK wool (apparently) so could all you experienced crocheters tell me the best kind to use? Steel, bamboo....?
    Also, the make please.
    Thank you.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Crochet advice please..

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    Please, for a start, I need a 4mm hook for DK wool (apparently) so could all you experienced crocheters tell me the best kind to use? Steel, bamboo....?
    Also, the make please.
    Thank you.
    I'm using 3.00, 3.50 and 4.00 (with DK yarn) for Cuffs (Hand Warmers), Tea Cosies etc. For anything needing above 2mm I use all steel ~ Millward, Aero and Disc are all makes of hooks I'm using.

For 4 ply or less needing size 2.00 and lower my favourite hooks are a set made by Yabali and these are steel hooks in strong plastic "shanks" (? handles, ends...). I also use the very old vintage steel hooks with end covers.

I can't seem to get along with bamboo..... it somehow "drags" unlike yarn over steel which shifts quickly and smoothly. Each to their own I suppose.

Thanks, Cheaver.

I thought I would start my refresher course with some granny squares - a great granny myself but one has to start somewhere

Once I get going I shall be fine - just need the right tools for the trade.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks, Cheaver.

I thought I would start my refresher course with some granny squares - a great granny myself but one has to start somewhere

Once I get going I shall be fine - just need the right tools for the trade.
    Have fun!

I suppose the only drawback to steel is the static picked up if crocheting for long periods (which I do) especially with synthetic yarns and sometimes even with 100% pure wool...... maybe that's my fault? I hold the hooks as I would when using a pen. I can't seem to get along with holding it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    Have fun!

I suppose the only drawback to steel is the static picked up if crocheting for long periods (which I do) especially with synthetic yarns and sometimes even with 100% pure wool...... maybe that's my fault? I hold the hooks as I would when using a pen. I can't seem to get along with holding it any other way.
    I also hold the hook as I would hold a pen. I guess that is the way that comes naturally.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

I also hold the hook as I would hold a pen. I guess that is the way that comes naturally.
    Well I would have to agree with you but I've looked at a couple of youtube tutorials in the past and they hold the hook "full handed" as it were..... looks odd to me yet they seem to manage like that..... I tried and couldn't work the hook holding it that way.

Name:  cccccc.png
Views: 47
Size:  66.3 KB

Correction: I have just picked up some wool and a hook (a cheapo freebie plastic one) and find that I am holding it ala You Tube

Your hats are absolutely beautiful and very professional.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Correction: I have just picked up some wool and a hook (a cheapo freebie plastic one) and find that I am holding it ala You Tube

Your hats are absolutely beautiful and very professional.
    lol! Don't know how you manage it! Plastic hooks - the ones I tried bent as I worked..... can't be doing with that!!!

Ta muchly about my hats.... would love to list more stuff but 'nuff said..... maybe when cats are sorted, maybe.....

I'm sticking with smaller stuff at the moment... novelties etc..... I don't have the patience these days for bigger stuff like garments, blankets etc

None of these are listed so this is not a plug! lol!

Name:  n.png
Views: 46
Size:  217.7 KB

Also, I don't seem to have the patience for following patterns either these days so these items just happen as I think of them. Depends on what yarns I get my hands on, eg the green and white I had in then I just happened on the orange so just had to do the Irish flag with leprechaun hat tea cosy!

Flippin' 'eck, did you do all those without a pattern???

I have taken the plunge and ordered a crochet hook. As I suffer with thumb and wrist pain, have ordered a Tulip Etimo (I'm a sucker for reviews).

Don't really know why I am doing this. My cupboard is full of materials for needle felting - have booked a workshop for Painting with Wool in September so that might give me a much needed kick up the proverbial.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Flippin' 'eck, did you do all those without a pattern???

I have taken the plunge and ordered a crochet hook. As I suffer with thumb and wrist pain, have ordered a Tulip Etimo (I'm a sucker for reviews).

Don't really know why I am doing this. My cupboard is full of materials for needle felting - have booked a workshop for Painting with Wool in September so that might give me a much needed kick up the proverbial.
    Oh yes, no patterns! lol! I just think 'em up and they happen..... I suppose you could say that I crochet to shapes.... give me a teapot, any shape, and I can make a perfect fit cosy.... it's a bit like when we used to make our own patterns out of newspapers to sew on I suppose, except I don't use paper, just items. eg the egg cosies are made using a plastic egg (full egg size, of course)..... The egghead keyrings are moulded on kinder eggs, the round keyrings moulded via golf balls and so it goes on, and on, and on...... I literally have hundreds of items.... an over-active imagination? But it raises the dosh so I can make more!

Tulip Etimo - I had to google that. Crikey, posh or what! mine are years old and most from charity shops - all except my posh yabali set (smaller hooks from size 2mm down).

I've never done any felting and don't have a clue about painting with wool.... I just googled painting with wool - crikey that's some serious art work! How utterly fabulous!

Thread Information