Thread: UK news - Credit and debit card surcharges to be banned

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default UK news - Credit and debit card surcharges to be banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

Consumers are no longer to be charged extra for paying by debit or credit card, the government has said.
    From January next year [2018], businesses will not be allowed to add any surcharges for card payments.
    The worst offenders currently are airlines and food delivery apps, and small businesses which typically add a fee for cards.

It follows a directive from the European Union, which bans surcharges on Visa and Mastercard payments.
    However the government has gone further than the directive, by also banning charges on American Express and Paypal too.

...The DVLA will also have to change its card payment policy.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: UK news - Credit and debit card surcharges to be banned

And we will all get more points on our credit card reward schemes!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

The government may well change its mind after Brexit; many government departments charge extra too.,another example of left hand versus right hand.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    And we will all get more points on our credit card reward schemes!

does appear good does it not the government is championing the poor consumer, but the real story is this is another nail in the coffin for cash, earlier this week visa announced a $10.000 dollar reward to businesses in the states to stop using cash for small transactions a pilot scheme to be rolled out in the uk soon.

business colluding with governments with no mandate to remove cash,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

I've scoured the media on this one since the announcement. Many businesses refuse to accept a card should the amount be small (say £5 or £10). This is tantamount to making a charge although at first sight it may appear not to be. I just wonder if we shall see things like "Cards accepted only if transaction is over £50". Ways will be found i am certain, as they are with the large stores offering huge prefabricated discounts. Of course, the seller may always increase the price to compensate.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I guess this means I will use my credit card to get reward points instead of using my debit card.

Except for small amounts which are usually contactless.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Newbie
    View maxfli65's Feedback (+220)
    All-About maxfli65
    View maxfli65's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    I've scoured the media on this one since the announcement. Many businesses refuse to accept a card should the amount be small (say £5 or £10). This is tantamount to making a charge although at first sight it may appear not to be. I just wonder if we shall see things like "Cards accepted only if transaction is over £50". Ways will be found i am certain, as they are with the large stores offering huge prefabricated discounts. Of course, the seller may always increase the price to compensate.
    I have seen some sellers not accepting PayPal for low amounts as charges apply there too, remember PayPal charge a minimum of £0.25 for accepting payment.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, I don't believe businesses over here can add surcharges for using a credit card. I'm not sure if it is mandated by the law or if it is a clause in the Merchant Agreement with the credit card companies. I do believe that the State of Georgia did allow gas stations to give discounts for cash, but I'm not sure that they still do.

As mentioned, there are quite a few businesses that place a minimum on how much you can pay with your card. Most are restaurants, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Actually, I don't believe businesses over here can add surcharges for using a credit card.
    I know a place that gives a cash discount! That accomplishes the same thing doesn't it. It's an ethnic place, where they're flexible and you could probably make an offer on an item in the store and they would consider it without thinking of it as an unusual request.

It's not just the fee from the cards, the merchant also has to deal with charge backs whenever a stolen or misused card is used. It can happen in a boyfriend / girlfriend situation where one uses the card of the other then the relationship turns bad and the transaction is disputed and reversed then the store has to pay for the loss.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stopusingebay View Post
    I know a place that gives a cash discount! That accomplishes the same thing doesn't it. It's an ethnic place, where they're flexible and you could probably make an offer on an item in the store and they would consider it without thinking of it as an unusual request.

It's not just the fee from the cards, the merchant also has to deal with charge backs whenever a stolen or misused card is used. It can happen in a boyfriend / girlfriend situation where one uses the card of the other then the relationship turns bad and the transaction is disputed and reversed then the store has to pay for the loss.
    Not being an attorney, I'm not that familiar with the particulars of the legal jargon used in the wording of some state's statutes regarding such discounts and whether they, as you say, accomplish the same thing as a surcharge. You may very well be correct.

Thread Information