eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket, Site Revamp and Store Templates Question

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Photobucket, Site Revamp and Store Templates Question

Like a lot of people, I've spent time and money to make my store listings attractive and distinctive. Also like many others I've used Photobucket to host not only product photos, but photos of backgrounds and animation used in my different store templates. However, since Photobucket has, in their recent User Agreement update, decided not to permit the use of the free account for such purposes and have gone from a zero cost to a $400 annual subscription, I'm wondering what, if any, are the alternatives?

I remember that after the latest eBid site revamp all my store templates had to be completely reworked and now with another pending site remodeling, coupled with Photobucket's changes and restrictions, if we have any inkling of what effect all this is going to do to our stores and listings.

Frankly, I don't have that many listings here that it change is going to totally wreck my day, but without knowing what specific changes to the site are going to be made, it is hard to know what steps to take. Should I pay the $400, find another photo hosting site or simply forget templates and have all listings sans photographs except for the five uploaded to eBid? To go through the trouble and/or expense to deal with the photo hosting issues only to have changes to eBid make it be all for naught would be more than simply annoying.

What say you, Oh Masters of the eBid Universe?

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Photobucket, Site Revamp and Store Templates Question

I just spent a couple of hours updating a listing in my Auction Block store removing all the embedded pictures and removing the template features. Total pain and the listing, in my opinion, looks like something that comes out of the south end of a northbound cow. While I managed by varying the text colors and sizes to beak up what would otherwise be a large block of text, it puts me in mind of stewed boneless skinless chicken breast with absolutely no salt or other seasonings. Or in other words, boring!

Naturally, during the editing process all but one of the gallery photos went missing so I had add those back into the listing. Luckily they were still in my gallery.

Alas! There is no border around the description area any longer. Oh well! I suppose it should save listing time just typing in a simply text only description and only upload five pictures.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you looked at Flickr for image hosting? Only downside is that you need a yahoo email to join as it's run by them.

Another thought - if your picture is in your Gallery, can you not use the image link to include it into your listing ?

Last edited by Anniemcc2; 9th July 2017 at 10:36 AM.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would suggest the newly upgradedhttp://www.snapagogo.com/

The only thing that let it down before the upgrade was that it was an orphaned site – set up by the eBid management and then abandoned. However, with the revamp there is now also a customer support option, and as in the eBid tradition they are swift, human and helpful.

I have not tried to upload photos to it since the upgrade but previously the maximum size allowable was 1600 pixels. It is at the current time free to use, so is worth considering.
    Ironically I was considering abandoning Snappagogo and returning to photobucket although that will not now happen.

I don't know what has gone wrong here, I added the site link and everything after it has been treated as though it was a link (which is why I have switched to a different colour).

To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    I would suggest the newly upgradedhttp://www.snapagogo.com/

My account appears to have been deleted with the revamp. I don't know if I had any stuff on there.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Oh well! I suppose it should save listing time just typing in a simply text only description and only upload five pictures.
    An increase to 15 images per item/variant is on the cards.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    My account appears to have been deleted with the revamp. I don't know if I had any stuff on there.
    There is now a contact button to get through to the support team on the new site - who give the same good service as the eBid crew from what I have seen up to now. I am sure that if you re-register they would give you some kind of response to your inquiry.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would suggest the newly upgraded

Thank you - just re-registered as I don't care for Photobucket where I have a lot of stuff stored and need to remove.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    An increase to 15 images per item/variant is on the cards.
    That is correct Mel. 15 free images per listing will be excellent and we will have no need for external image hosting in description areas any more.
    Also, because of html layouts to accommodate ipads, ipods, cellphones etc, most html description designs with background images, borders, tables (especially tables) etc look pretty awful now. This is why I don't offer colorful auction templates any more.
    Another site I sell on does not allow any kind of html in the description area so I have to be a little 'inventive' on my displays.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post

Also, because of html layouts to accommodate ipads, ipods, cellphones etc, most html description designs with background images, borders, tables (especially tables) etc look pretty awful now. This is why I don't offer colorful auction templates any more.

I did rewrite some of the templates that I used to offer free on my old KB to be device adaptive and compliant with the new site ethos (some couldn't be adapted). As I then ditched the KB I never did anything more with them. I'll dig them out and maybe offer them to anyone who wants them or wishes to use them as a base from which to develop their own.

Any interest?

Thread Information