Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Prohibited Items List & Site Copyright Infringement Policy

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Prohibited Items List & Site Copyright Infringement Policy

I've been trying to locate eBid's list of items prohibited from being sold on the site and the site's policy regarding the listing of copyrighted material and its policy regarding listings infringing on said copyrights. Unfortunately, although I seem to remember reviewing them at one time, I can't seem to be able to find the right page or pages now. Anyone able to help me locate the right pages or portion of the UA dealing with these?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Prohibited Items List & Site Copyright Infringement Policy

https://www.ebid.net/uk/help_selling.php#faq-29

(Item 29 if your device does not scroll to it automatically)

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks! I was looking all over for that couldn't find it. I looked all over for a site map link but couldn't find that either. I must be getting forgetful in my old age.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Etsy US conducted a sweep of its site on 30.6.17, eliminating many Black memorabilia listings. Will ebid be following suit? I have many knitting patterns featuring gollies, other members have the Robertsons jam badges etc.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

You will probably have to ask support if they plan on something like that. Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea, but political correctness has a way of pushing to the forefront. History is what it is and to attempt to alter it to appear more favorable is, in my opinion, a mistake. Frankly, instead of hiding it for fear of offending someone, I'm of the opinion that it should be kept visible so as to avoid the risk of it being forgotten an repeated.

This, of course, holds true for not only some aspects of history, but all. Can we undo the wrongs done throughout history by hiding the fact that they took place at all? I think not. I think it is a disservice to the victims of them to try. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

If you're talking about electronically readable media, the eBid polity is to not allow anything that looks like a home copy regardless of whether or not it is in violation of any copyright law. I assume they don't have the time and money to properly deal with these types of items.

I like your stance on rewriting history. EBid is a UK company so it's not as closely tied US political issues. eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, & Etsy are all part of the same club. I think the auction site Bonanza may be special front company that's deliberately poorly run to trap sellers who try to break away from the previously mentioned sites. Then they give up and go back to eBay/Amazon/CL/Etsy.

Remember the big deal in the news about how eBay banned the sale of the Confederate flag?

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, what got me to go looking for the eBid's policy regard copyright infringement was while browsing the Art category and especially the section of self representing artists, I ran across quite a few cartoon drawings, reported to be the work of the seller which contained Disney and other characters in the same drawing. Having been a Disney cast member for some little time in the 70's & 80's and knowing the reason Walt was extremely protective of Disney copyrights, I became curious as to how such drawings came to be listed on eBid in the self representing artist section of the Art Category.

I also noticed Norman Rockwell prints listed in the Art Category as "New" for, what seems to me, to be ridiculously low prices. Since the artist died in 1978 and much of his work is in the custody of the Norman Rockwell Museum which controls its disposition, that too brought questions to my mind.

Of course, neither one of these things is an issue provided they are what the listings say they are and are being used with the copyright owner's permission. But I thought I'd check into eBid's formal policy. Of course, then I had a problem trying to locate the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Etsy US conducted a sweep of its site on 30.6.17, eliminating many Black memorabilia listings. Will ebid be following suit? I have many knitting patterns featuring gollies, other members have the Robertsons jam badges etc.
    That's funny - just went there and searched for "Black Memorabilia" there are still 12,887 listings - I guess they missed a few??? LOL!!

The bay has 36,588 for sale under the same search term with 13,733 under Sold.

As for the Confederate flag, they still allow posting of books about it and 7 sales of actual flags have been made in the Books - Nonfiction category! Where there's a will, there's a way ....
    Last edited by Shesawaya38485; 6th July 2017 at 05:09 PM.

Thread Information