Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Buying experience poor... does this help explain why sellers complain of poor sales?

Default Buying experience poor... does this help explain why sellers complain of poor sales?

I rarely find what I want to buy on ebid, but I do like to support the site. So I was very pleased recently, when needing a replacement cat flap, to find on ebid a seller of pet supplies. Even based in the next county to mine, so no prospect of waiting 4 weeks for post from Hong Kong!

The seller not only had the Cat-Mate cat flap that looked like mine, but, at a significant saving, a replacement door. Item 153964969. I was delighted, but since no measurements were quoted, I thought I'd better check.

On a Saturday I used 'Ask the Seller a Question'... no response.

At this point I was very tempted to just forget about it and go to the usual well known sites. Perhaps he's a dump and run seller, I thought. But I came back on Thursday, just in case an answer had been posted and somehow I'd not been notified. No, vain hope.

I noticed (I think perhaps it was when I moved my mouse over the question) that the site claimed to have sent THREE NUDGES concerning this question. I'd not initiated any nudges. Didn't even know one could. Is this some automated feature? Or is it yet another example of counts in the database being out of whack (as many claim, when discussing listing views etc)?

Since it offered me the option to send (allegedly) a 4th nudge, I took it. And very soon had a response from the seller. The seller completed the sale, packed the door nice and defensively, despatched it very promptly... in short everything I would hope from a professional and motivated seller. Which made me suspicious about the 5 day delay to get my answer, so I asked him about it. Here's the dialogue (quoted with his permission):

Me: Hi Michael, Thanks for using eBid, I'm glad to find something I need listed here. ... Frankly I'm not impressed by asking a question on Saturday and having to wait until Thursday for an answer. I was about to buy elsewhere. Did ebid not notify you on Saturday that there was a question to answer? Regards, John

Him: Hello John, I am afraid I find this Ebid a little difficult , my messages are difficult to respond to, we have an Ebay shop, an Amazon shop and our website but Ebid is the most dfifficult to follow and no Ebid did not tell me there was a question to answer, last year I ordered a memory stick via Ebid but it has still not arrived and no response from seller despite many enquiiries so I am concerned for the future of Ebid.

I'm wondering how many sellers have lost sales because the site isn't functioning properly?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Default Re: Buying experience poor... does this help explain why sellers complain of poor sal

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I'm wondering how many sellers have lost sales because the site isn't functioning properly?
    Well done on getting what you wanted

I've had a few issues recently that I put down to glitches.
    I've had Questions from potential buyers come through on my email (ebid marked) yet not had them on my Q&A section. The couple of times i've tried clicking the link on the email to answer them (since they didn't exist in the Q&A) it's told me they no longer exist.
    I've also been asked questions recently (within past week) where in less that 12 hours i've been sent a "question still needs answered" email.

Have I lost any sales from this? I hope not as I always try to answer within 24 hours, unless ill, on holiday, or out and about with family.

Jason

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Buying experience poor... does this help explain why sellers complain of poor sal

Hi John,

Do you have the ID of the listing, I'll see if we still have the mail logs for that period to make sure the emails that should have departed our ecosystem all left ok and were accepted into the recipients. You say you used 4 nudges of a single question?

Thanks,
    Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

"I'm wondering how many sellers have lost sales because the site isn't functioning properly?"

i just had a buyer ask a question i got the notification email and i could see the notification in my ebid,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    "I'm wondering how many sellers have lost sales because the site isn't functioning properly?"

i just had a buyer ask a question i got the notification email and i could see the notification in my ebid,
    Thanks Sid.

Also, for anyone without it yet, download the eBid App and accept in-app notifications when you first start it up and you will receive Q&A notifications to your mobile as well as emailed versions.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Hi John,

Do you have the ID of the listing, I'll see if we still have the mail logs for that period to make sure the emails that should have departed our ecosystem all left ok and were accepted into the recipients. You say you used 4 nudges of a single question?

Thanks,
    Gazza
    Item 153964969.

No, I didn't use 4 nudges. Please read my original post. I made it quite clear that I'd not sent those nudges, I was very surprised to see the allegation, I'd not even realised before the Thursday visit that the system had a concept of a 'nudge'.

Thanks for offering to check the mail logs.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post

Good for you, Sid.

I wasn't suggesting it NEVER works. So one example of when it has worked doesn't say much.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Good for you, Sid.

I wasn't suggesting it NEVER works. So one example of when it has worked doesn't say much.
    no its not good for me john, its normal for me, ive had hundreds of sales with a large proportion from new buyers who tend to ask questions before buying understandably , never once have i had a question go missing,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information