View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Way to go eBid!

From your link I see:

Gross value 2,794,544,446
    Listings 3,911,635
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    From your link I see:

Gross value 2,794,544,446
    Listings 3,911,635

Yep, that's what I'm trying to explain Gill. The figures there are different to the figures on the grey sections at the bottom of the eBid pages so something isn't right. Maybe eBid needs a new calculator !

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

If memory serves, I expressed my dislike of the this particular display of eBid's. Frankly, the value of the merchandise listed is somewhat misleading, since it is apparently derived from totaling up the asking price of the items listed. Basically it is nothing more than wishful thinking to believe that such a figure in anyway reflects anything near a real gross total of the value of the merchandise listed on the site. While it may be possible to get a reasonably accurate number of total listings, although I have my doubts about an accurate total of truly active listings, quoting a figure as to the monetary worth of all the items listed seems ludicrous to me.

It sort of reminds me of the time I asked for an opening bid of one million five for a painting at a charity auction. I got $1200 for it in the end, but if I'd have listed it here at auction with a BIN of 1.5 mil I can't imagine adding that amount to the gross value of the site's listed merchandise would be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    If memory serves, I expressed my dislike of the this particular display of eBid's. Frankly, the value of the merchandise listed is somewhat misleading, since it is apparently derived from totaling up the asking price of the items listed. Basically it is nothing more than wishful thinking to believe that such a figure in anyway reflects anything near a real gross total of the value of the merchandise listed on the site. While it may be possible to get a reasonably accurate number of total listings, although I have my doubts about an accurate total of truly active listings, quoting a figure as to the monetary worth of all the items listed seems ludicrous to me.

It sort of reminds me of the time I asked for an opening bid of one million five for a painting at a charity auction. I got $1200 for it in the end, but if I'd have listed it here at auction with a BIN of 1.5 mil I can't imagine adding that amount to the gross value of the site's listed merchandise would be reasonable.
    Exactly. It's tacky.

Displaying the number of listings, fine. And that number is indeed impressive.

Claimed value, as you say, JaBek, ludicrous. At best it's a joke, at worst it makes the site look like a scam.

Since this is being discussed in the Kitchen Table, presumably Gazza and co won't be reading this however. It deserves to be moved to Website Suggestions if it's not already been raised there.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Values of listings and views of Listings are Very Misleading and hurts this site. They act like duh is that right, Yep it is very right and always has been here. Ring ring goes the bell.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

AS we all know the Competition is HUGE WorldWide... Honesty is a must.... Q Tips please.

Thread Information