Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Which Computer Operating System Is The Best?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 10 is the best operating system

1 33.33%
  • Linux is the best operating system

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu is the best operating system

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has the best support network

0 0%
  • Linux has the best support network

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has the best support network

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has least user issues

0 0%
  • Linux has the least user issues

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has the least user issues

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has best futuristic technology

0 0%
  • Linux has best futuristic technology

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has best futuristic technology

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10, Linux, Ubuntu

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Windows 10, Linux, Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Chrome OS is better for me as the only other OS I have is Win 10 on my laptop which I need tons of advice and youtube demos for me to make it do anything I want it to.

My Win10 laptop is now gathering dust under a chair as Chrome OS is so much simpler to use.

One downside to using Chrome OS is that documents go off into the cloud and are not recognised as documents if I try to upload them to Dropbox

My laptop has Open Office as I have to pay for Microsoft Office and Open Office is free
    Thanks for sharing some of the pros and cons of Chrome OS. I agree with you about Windows 10, it makes it difficult to complete even the most simple tasks.

I tried to set personal preferences for my color scheme, and the computer took control, selecting it's own color preferences.

To make matters worse Cortina "the virtual assistant" emailed me informing me that they had color preferences.

Am finding Windows 10 rather useless for even basic and mundane tasks. Hiding it under a chair or pillow will not work for me, as that represents money and time wasted.

I'm still within a time frame to decide to simply return the computer. However, time and effort have been expended. Need to have more understanding of where technology is heading. Is it Windows 10 or not?

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Chrome OS is better for me as the only other OS I have is Win 10 on my laptop which I need tons of advice and youtube demos for me to make it do anything I want it to.

My Win10 laptop is now gathering dust under a chair as Chrome OS is so much simpler to use.

One downside to using Chrome OS is that documents go off into the cloud and are not recognised as documents if I try to upload them to Dropbox

My laptop has Open Office as I have to pay for Microsoft Office and Open Office is free
    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS : "Chrome OS is an operating system designed by Google that is based on the Linux kernel". \o/

Open Office is good, but you might want to try Libre Office if you have problems. When Sun Microsystems was acquired by Oracle, Oracle, unlike Sun, just didn't get how open source projects are run. They ****ed off the community big time. So OO was forked and most of the developers then worked on the fork. They had to have a new name for it, hence Libre Office. OO is still ok, but the real progress is being made with LO.

Both OO and LO work on lots of platforms, which is great. Means that Windows users (for example) can get used to using open source software such as Libre Office, Firefox, Gimp, Digikam, Thunderbird and so on, and become no longer tied to one system, free to switch if Windows becomes a pain.

OO/LO are fine if you're a fairly basic user, but if you use a load of macros in Excel you'll probably run into compatibility problems. So it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 4th July 2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Windows doesn't even know if Linux is installed. You have Linux in a separate partition (or in a virtual machine if your pc has adequate ram) and when Windows is running it can't even see the Linux filesystem. Which can be a little inconvenient at times, and MS could easily rectify this if they wished, but they have no love for Linux.

In contrast, from Linux you can read and write the Windows NTFS file system. In Windows 10 Microsoft have made this less easy -- you have to turn off "fast boot".

When trying to install "Virtual Box", Microsoft gives strong warning......"that installation of the software is not recommended, as it has not passed windows logos testing." It further warned that the software "Virtual Box" could destabilize my computer system.

Are these warnings legitimate, or an attempt by Microsoft to protect it's interests? Also, can Linux be installed on a computer without the use of Virtual Box? If yes, is there any particular process or just a strait download and install?

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    ..... Also, can Linux be installed on a computer without the use of Virtual Box? If yes, is there any particular process or just a strait download and install?
    For nearly 9 years I have downloaded the OS file onto my computer then burned it to CD and then installed. I've just installed Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) onto another laptop for someone.... this was the 7th time I have used the same CD to install this OS.

Johnwash ~ if you are about, can you please tell me how to get Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) onto bootable USB?
    Unetbootin doesn't go past Mint 17.......

Name:  u.png
Views: 42
Size:  37.6 KB

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    For nearly 9 years I have downloaded the OS file onto my computer then burned it to CD and then installed. I've just installed Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) onto another laptop for someone.... this was the 7th time I have used the same CD to install this OS.

Thanks Cheaver for your response. I would be using an USB flash drive instead of CD.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    When trying to install "Virtual Box", Microsoft gives strong warning......"that installation of the software is not recommended, as it has not passed windows logos testing." It further warned that the software "Virtual Box" could destabilize my computer system.

Are these warnings legitimate, or an attempt by Microsoft to protect it's interests? Also, can Linux be installed on a computer without the use of Virtual Box? If yes, is there any particular process or just a strait download and install?
    I've not used VirtualBox on Windows. Looking at https://superuser.com/questions/4177...tion-other-tha I guess the problem is that Oracle would need to pay MS $250, and perhaps Larry Ellison is saving up for a bigger yacht?

(If you don't get that joke, try googling 'larry ellison yacht'!)

Myself, I'd go ahead. I assume you have your docs and photos etc all backed up? After all, your computer can get destabilized all sorts of ways, not least by the ball bearings dropping out of your hard disk drive! (I'm not kidding, I've had several drives fail over the years, though admittedly the ball bearings stayed inside). By the way, a dead hard drive is fun to take apart, you get a couple of really strong 'fridge magnets!

Yes, Linux can be installed without VirtualBox.

There are at least two ways.

1. Run Windows, within Windows run a virtualizer (e.g. VirtualBox, but there are others, some cost, some don't). This means that you're running a program that emulates a bare computer. So within that you can load another operating system. Here we're talking about that guest operating system being Linux, but you could equally well run Windows as a guest, or BSD, or DOS, or pretty much anything that would run on a bare PC that has no operating system.

2. Don't run Windows, install Linux on your computer so that your computer boots up into Linux. You can install Linux in such a way that you have a choice at boot time between running Windows or running Linux. To switch from one to the other you have to shut down and restart. Much less convenient than using virtualisation.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Johnwash ~ if you are about, can you please tell me how to get Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) onto bootable USB?
    Unetbootin doesn't go past Mint 17.......
    I don't often use USB sticks for this, I normally burn a DVD. Admittedly a USB stick runs quite a lot faster, but I've too many times had trouble with some machines getting them to boot. If your preference is because you have a PC without an optical drive (a lot of lightweight laptops are dropping them), my answer is that I have an external DVD drive, it cost about £20 some years ago.

Unetbootin isn't the only utility for creating bootable USBs. With some distros you may even find just 'dd if=somefile.iso of=/dev/sdx' works (where sd'x' is your usb stick). It seems to depend on the distro and depend on the bios of your pc.

Probably the Linux Mint forums are your best bet. I imagine it's sure to be in some FAQ.

To avoid doubt, were you replacing someone's Windows, or adding Mint alongside?

[update]
    Google 'unetbootin mint 18'
    Take the top hit
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=230340

Excellent discussion there, provided you ignore everything deepakdeshp says. Everyone else in that thread is on the ball. Which doesn't surprise me. The Mint forums, like the Ubuntu forums, are filled with wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable people (though occasionally, as in this example, you have to spot the wannabee-helpful plonkers to ignore!). The stackexchange family of websites (e.g. askubuntu.com) are a wonderful resource as well, the up/down voting of answers there makes them especially high quality.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 6th July 2017 at 08:36 PM.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

..........because you have a PC without an optical drive (a lot of lightweight laptops are dropping them), my answer is that I have an external DVD drive, it cost about £20 some years ago.

Unetbootin isn't the only utility for creating bootable USBs. With some distros you may even find just 'dd if=somefile.iso of=/dev/sdx' works (where sd'x' is your usb stick). It seems to depend on the distro and depend on the bios of your pc.
    Probably the Linux Mint forums are your best bet. I imagine it's sure to be in some FAQ.

To avoid doubt, were you replacing someone's Windows, or adding Mint alongside?

[update]
    Google 'unetbootin mint 18'
    Take the top hit
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=230340

Excellent discussion there, provided you ignore everything deepakdeshp says. Everyone else in that thread is on the ball. Which doesn't surprise me. The Mint forums, like the Ubuntu forums, are filled with wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable people (though occasionally, as in this example, you have to spot the wannabee-helpful plonkers to ignore!). The stackexchange family of websites (e.g. askubuntu.com) are a wonderful resource as well, the up/down voting of answers there makes them especially high quality.
    I have a tablet so stuck with 17 until I find a work around which you have given me ~ time for me to buy an external drive!
    I've upgraded from 17 to 18 for others plus my own 2 desktops and laptop. My most recent effort was to put Mint 18 on a laptop with no OS on it. (a recent purchase for my 91 year old silver surfer who wouldn't go back to Windows for anything! and whose old laptop was seriously approaching end of life.)
    The only time I ever had dual boot was when I first got Ubuntu running alongside XP..... and I soon kicked XP into touch along with Windows itself.
    Thanks for your answer and all the info. Much appreciated.

I have a tablet so stuck with 17 until I find a work around which you have given me ~ time for me to buy an external drive!
    I've upgraded from 17 to 18 for others plus my own 2 desktops and laptop. My most recent effort was to put Mint 18 on a laptop with no OS on it. (a recent purchase for my 91 year old silver surfer who wouldn't go back to Windows for anything! and whose old laptop was seriously approaching end of life.)
    The only time I ever had dual boot was when I first got Ubuntu running alongside XP..... and I soon kicked XP into touch along with Windows itself.
    Thanks for your answer and all the info. Much appreciated.

Yes, I have a friend who now lives in Brazil and whose 90-something mother lives locally -- I very occasionally help her, though he's able to resolve most issues remotely, using TeamViewer.

I think it's great that dual boot is a possibility, especially with older machines that might not have enough ram to run VirtualBox. But, where possible, I think you're right, the best way is just to quit the Windows habit. My wife made much better progress once she did that. It focuses the mind on finding alternative applications rather than clinging to old ways.

Having said all that, a few times a year I fire up a VirtualBox VM to run Windows within Linux, in order to run Microsoft Visual Studio to do some C# development work for a small company where I've known the people for 20+ years. Visual Studio is brilliant, I know of no better development environment, and, unfortunately, trying to install it using Linux Wine doesn't work (or at least I couldn't get it to work).

Why are you stuck with 17? That thread looks as though there's no problem, just download the 18.1 .iso file, point Unetbootin at it, job done!

Though I believe 17 was pretty good, so I'm not sure what you'd be missing by not using 18.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 7th July 2017 at 02:15 PM.

All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

...... trying to install it using Linux Wine doesn't work (or at least I couldn't get it to work).

Why are you stuck with 17? That thread looks as though there's no problem, just download the 18.1 .iso file, point Unetbootin at it, job done!

Though I believe 17 was pretty good, so I'm not sure what you'd be missing by not using 18.

Ahhh, the days of Wine (but not many roses with it) when I had dual boot! It was great being able to access XP files when I needed them - it was super-great not to need the XP files at all once I binned Windows and took my Linux vows!

I did that re 18.1 iso ~ couldn't get Unetbootin to do the job.......

Yes, 17 is good.... not missing anything really, just wanted the tablet updating to the latest there is!

Thread Information