Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Which Computer Operating System Is The Best?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 10 is the best operating system

1 33.33%
  • Linux is the best operating system

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu is the best operating system

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has the best support network

0 0%
  • Linux has the best support network

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has the best support network

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has least user issues

0 0%
  • Linux has the least user issues

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has the least user issues

0 0%
  • Windows 10 has best futuristic technology

0 0%
  • Linux has best futuristic technology

2 66.67%
  • Ubuntu has best futuristic technology

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10, Linux, Ubuntu

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Windows 10, Linux, Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Congrats on your progress. Great idea to have a list in advance to keep it focussed.

Well, if they cared (as if!) remote control would be just as easy with Linux. I use TeamViewer regularly, and it saves me no end of trouble. It works on all 3 major platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac, between any of them. For example I use it when my brother-in-law in Florida wants help on his Mac (and at my end I'm using Linux). It's quite amazing, all the way across the Atlantic, and my broadband is only 5Mbps, yet there's hardly any lag at all.

But of course that's not the point, evidently their support staff wouldn't want to touch Linux.

If you really feel the warranty has significant value for you, perhaps you should wait until it's out of warranty. That's my attitude with a new laptop, either I replace the hard drive (so I can put it back in the event of a warranty claim) or else I wait a year before risking tearing it apart for any reason. If your concern about warranty is to do with software support, hmmm, if you can find a supplier that has clued up software support you're doing really well. In most cases a bit of google searching will get you better answers!
    Thank you. Yes, that list helped more than I thought it would.

Replacing hard drives is out of my league, so I guess I will wait for the warranty to end. In the mean time I will continue the learning process.

Hope I can learn to master my aversion to Windows 10. Will plan to familiarize myself with Windows 10 and Linux simultaneously.

Expanding my plan to a one year plan should be doable. Will continue with short range plan (first 3 months), then adjust as appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Thank you. Yes, that list helped more than I thought it would.

Replacing hard drives is out of my league, so I guess I will wait for the warranty to end. In the mean time I will continue the learning process.

Hope I can learn to master my aversion to Windows 10. Will plan to familiarize myself with Windows 10 and Linux simultaneously.

Expanding my plan to a one year plan should be doable. Will continue with short range plan (first 3 months), then adjust as appropriate.
    From your PM I know you have a very capable laptop. For you, the way forward is to use (within Windows) something such as VirtualBox to run a virtual machine within your real one. In particular you can run a Linux system inside such a VM. Indeed, you can run several different versions of Linux and choose which you prefer!

I do this the other way round. My desktop PC runs Linux, but I've installed VirtualBox (free, open source) and within that I run Windows 8.1 (it could be 10 of course, but I was too late for the free upgrade). It's delightful, I can copy/paste between the two systems, move files back and forth, and get the best of both worlds (though, call me biassed, apart from MS Visual Studio (brilliant), there isn't a whole lot in Windows that I consider better than that which I have in Linux!).

VirtualBox is just yet another application. So its presence on your system would have no relevance for warranty.

Lots more people ought to be aware of virtualisation, there are so many advantages. For example, anyone worried about online banking... install a virtual machine which you ONLY use for doing your banking.

Burgy, I doubt you'll master your aversion to Windows 10. Running a volunteer pc clinic for local pensioners I see Windows 10 a lot. E.g. I have one on the bench at the moment which says "Preparing to repair your pc"... "Diagnosing"... "Windows was unable to repair your pc"... [rinse and repeat ad infinitum]. Fortunately with a Linux CD I can pull off all the user's files, but none of the fixes in forums are successful and it'll have to be a complete reinstall.

Most users much preferred 7, but MS seem determined to kill that off.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

From your PM I know you have a very capable laptop. For you, the way forward is to use (within Windows) something such as VirtualBox to run a virtual machine within your real one. In particular you can run a Linux system inside such a VM. Indeed, you can run several different versions of Linux and choose which you prefer!

I do this the other way round. My desktop PC runs Linux, but I've installed VirtualBox (free, open source) and within that I run Windows 8.1 (it could be 10 of course, but I was too late for the free upgrade). It's delightful, I can copy/paste between the two systems, move files back and forth, and get the best of both worlds (though, call me biassed, apart from MS Visual Studio (brilliant), there isn't a whole lot in Windows that I consider better than that which I have in Linux!).

VirtualBox is just yet another application. So its presence on your system would have no relevance for warranty.

Lots more people ought to be aware of virtualisation, there are so many advantages. For example, anyone worried about online banking... install a virtual machine which you ONLY use for doing your banking.

Burgy, I doubt you'll master your aversion to Windows 10. Running a volunteer pc clinic for local pensioners I see Windows 10 a lot. E.g. I have one on the bench at the moment which says "Preparing to repair your pc"... "Diagnosing"... "Windows was unable to repair your pc"... [rinse and repeat ad infinitum]. Fortunately with a Linux CD I can pull off all the user's files, but none of the fixes in forums are successful and it'll have to be a complete reinstall.

Thank you John for your brilliant post. I really like the idea of using the virtual machines.

I will need the additional time to get my head around so much new information. Well, it is new to me, as dealing with computers and other hard wired devices, is not my natural comfort zone.

I would probably feel most comfortable running 1-2
    VM'S within Windows 10. Glad I can use VirtualBox without regard to warranty.

You may be right about my aversion to Windows 10. Now for all those users of Windows 10, who are facing the loss of their stuff, couldn't regular back up prevent that issue?

What are the solutions to dealing with a control freak like Windows 10. It has already been posted that Windows 10 seems to do as it pleases, even preventing one the time to save their data. So are there any ways to get around this issue?

... Now for all those users of Windows 10, who are facing the loss of their stuff, couldn't regular back up prevent that issue?

Well, back ups are certainly a good idea. You could try doing a poll here to see how many people do regular backups and test them.

If you're hoping to see a non-zero percentage, you might need to include a decimal point!

When you install Windows, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it suggests creating some DVDs for restoring the system in the event of a hard drive failure? People very rarely do that either. And I think MS restrict the number of such restore DVDs you can create, which considering that recorded DVDs are not terribly reliable, seems perverse.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

What are the solutions to dealing with a control freak like Windows 10. It has already been posted that Windows 10 seems to do as it pleases, even preventing one the time to save their data. So are there any ways to get around this issue?
    Preventing one the time to save their data? Can you expand on that?

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    I agree with you about the too much control, with this latest W10 update there was an option to defer the timing. I chose to have it done tomorrow, and got a confirmation that this would be done, this would give me time to back up everything. However when I shut down the laptop the software was forced on me regardless.
    This post is what I was referring to; and also my own post concerning issues of Windows 10 taking control of computer usage.

My underlying concern with the control issue is that much energy and time could be wasted if Windows 10 interferes with operations.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, same as they did with Windows XP. Ironic how MS seems to be doing all it can to alienate it's own user base, in preference to fulfilling it's own agenda.

Sounds a bit like the midnight side. Sometimes entities get so large and powerful, that they actually believe they are invincible. In reality, it very well may be pointing to the beginning of their end.

Yes, same as they did with Windows XP. Ironic how MS seems to be doing all it can to alienate it's own user base, in preference to fulfilling it's own agenda.

Sounds a bit like the midnight side. Sometimes entities get so large and powerful, that they actually believe they are invincible. In reality, it very well may be pointing to the beginning of their end.
    The statistics are already pointing to the beginning of their end. Compare the year by year number of Android phones and tablets against the number of Windows PCs.

Apple's iPhone is the biggest single brand of phone, but Android is supplied by many manufacturers, the total exceeds Apple.

(And Android is built on top of the Linux kernel!)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The statistics are already pointing to the beginning of their end. Compare the year by year number of Android phones and tablets against the number of Windows PCs.
    I would if I could! Guess I could Google it.

With MS not supporting Windows XP, Vista, and at some point Windows 7, what can be done with those versions?

For instance, could a Linux system be installed on a Windows XP?...or on a Windows Vista?...or on a Windows 7?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

'Paranoid' might be my middle name but I am convinced that when MS release a new OS they gradually cripple the old one via updates until it becomes so slow that users give in and upgrade.

Thread Information