Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Newish telephone scam - beware !

Default Newish telephone scam - beware !

Got a phone call this morning from a scammer and this was a new one on me. I haven't had this type before, as soon as they started mentioning expiry dates on debit cards I hung up ! Just thought it was worth a mention to warn others. I didn't catch the first name because of the foreign accent but it was something or other management company !

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone.../2016/tps-scam

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Newish telephone scam - beware !

What will they think of next?

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    What will they think of next?
    Lol, rather ironic isn't it getting a nuisance call offering to protect you from nuisance calls !

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

There was a new one on me I heard about on Facebook

Someone posted that they had been called by someone who said they were from 'the benefit office in the UK'

We replied to the post saying the DWP will only phone to return your call...otherwise they will write to you

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    There was a new one on me I heard about on Facebook

Someone posted that they had been called by someone who said they were from 'the benefit office in the UK'

We replied to the post saying the DWP will only phone to return your call...otherwise they will write to you

The sad thing is that a lot of people are taken in by these kind of calls especially the elderly, they make me so angry. My father got scammed when he was in his eighties, and getting rather confused, by a company saying that his Sky TV insurance was up for renewal when it wasn't and it was a firm that had nothing to do with Sky at all.

Best one I heard recently was:

Scam caller: your computer has a problem, but I can help you solve it!

Answer: I don't have a computer. Or a phone.

Scammer: What? I'm talking to you on the phone.

Answer: No, you're a voice from behind the sofa!

I'd love to have an automated system like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNT4NcbDk6k
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Such people are evil - I love "no, you're a voice from behind the sofa!"

I now just say "You are a thief" because I think many of these people must be fooling themselves that what they are doing is not actually stealing.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

johnwash1 I love those Lenny links they are great !

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Such people are evil - I love "no, you're a voice from behind the sofa!"

I now just say "You are a thief" because I think many of these people must be fooling themselves that what they are doing is not actually stealing.
    The only time that I thought really deeply about it and tried to put myself in the shoes of a scammer was when, having strung her along for 10 minutes I decided I had other things to do and asked how long she'd worked for the company. "Two months".

"So you know it's a scam, don't you", I said. We hedged a little, she admitted it and then replied "Do you have a job for me?". She claimed she'd searched hard for a job, and this was all she could find.

In a country that has no welfare state to stop you living in a cardboard box or worse, how would each of us handle our moral scruples if that's the job on offer?

I'm not condoning it, but I'm glad I've not had to face that decision myself.

By the way, 10 minutes is nothing. My record for stringing such callers along is over an hour. My voice goes very slow and querulous, and my computer is at the far end of the house, just hold on... it's starting up... but it's very slow these days, I'm so glad you called to help me, just hold on...

I do hope lots of people do this, it helps reduce the time they have to call vulnerable people. I know several who've been cheated out of nearly £200. And one who refused to pay, while the scammer was remotely accessing her computer, who took revenge by deleting the whole c:\windows\system32 tree, making the computer unusable.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information