My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Some category menus not updating listing numbers

Default Some category menus not updating listing numbers

Minor glitch, or perhaps just a result of ongoing work, but I noticed today that some sub-categories in the left-side menu are being shown as empty, when they do contain items.

For instance, https://www.ebid.net/us/buy/jewelry-...ose-gemstones/ shows "Agate" as having (0) listings, yet when I click on it, there are several items in that sub-category. Several other sub-categories in this particular menu that are showing (0) also contain items.

You may already be aware of this, but I thought I'd mention for next time the menus are revisited.

Default Re: Some category menus not updating listing numbers

rocks2dust I can remember this glitch happening several years ago thanks for pointing this out.

What is even more disturbing is that I just spotted in the pottery section on your link that the Aynsley category is also showing (0) and when I click on it there is nothing there ! I know I have several pieces of Aynsley that are available to the American market so I went to the English site and that is showing the same
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/buy/porcelain-pottery-glass/pottery/aynsley/

I did a search for Aynsley and 96 listings came up in the pottery section.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/perl/main.cgi?type1=a&type2=a&words=aynsley&category2=6 329&adult=&pcode=&categoryid=6329&categoryonly=on& mo=search&type=keyword

How many more categories are showing as having no listings like this ? It's no wonder my sales have been naff this month ! Getting really fed up with all this messing around with the categories.

If it would be an easier fix, then I think it is perfectly fine to leave the number of listings off the menu. From the perspective of someone browsing, just seeing the category is enough, and better that no number of listings is shown than a (0) when that would mean missing listings I'm considering.

cornishmaid1961: The items you posted do seem to be listed in the "China & Porcelain" category, though not in the "Pottery" category under which you were looking...
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/buy/porcelai...elain/aynsley/
    versus
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/buy/porcelai...ttery/aynsley/

I'm unsure why both "China & Porcelain" and "Pottery" list the same manufacturers, however. Perhaps "Pottery" is intended to contain earthenware and other ceramics not included in the "China & Porcelain," "Stoneware," and "Date-Lined" sub-categories (in which case many of these manufacturers are not needed under "Pottery")?
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 21st May 2017 at 06:08 PM.

Thank you rocks2dust you are correct. I don't know why they have added another Aynsley under pottery just as I don't understand why there are two Delft categories under pottery one showing (119) and the one below showing (1), two 'Moorcroft' showing (24) and (1), and two Branksome both showing (0) - I also thought Branksome produced china so I don't even know why it is in pottery ?!

I also found this afternoon a load of my listings had been dumped in the 'Other Pottery' category and I certainly hadn't put them there. I had to spend over half an hour editing them and putting them back where they should have been. The pottery section used to be neat and concise but now loads of different categories have been added which I presume are names of American pottery companies, which is fine if they had something in them but most seem to be showing (0). It makes the pottery section look empty and ridiculous.

Wonder why the subcategories with no items in them don't show up on the search page ... like when we have a subcategory in our stores with no items.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Wonder why the subcategories with no items in them don't show up on the search page ... like when we have a subcategory in our stores with no items.

I've given up trying to figure out what is going on. All I can say is that when you go in from the browse page I'm seeing about 50 categories under pottery with (0) against them which makes the site look like a ghost town. I mean you have got 'American Bisque' (0) then a bit further down 'Bisque (American)' (3) ?????

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

I've given up trying to figure out what is going on. All I can say is that when you go in from the browse page I'm seeing about 50 categories under pottery with (0) against them which makes the site look like a ghost town. I mean you have got 'American Bisque' (0) then a bit further down 'Bisque (American)' (3) ?????
    Totally agree that categories with 0 listings does make "the site look like a ghost town." Not really sure why there are so many categories ... I'm sure there is some logic there, but it might make the site look a bit more populated if:
    1. the number of listings was not shown
    or
    2. categories without listings did not show ... similar to how they are addressed within a store.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    ...it might make the site look a bit more populated if:
    1. the number of listings was not shown
    or
    2. categories without listings did not show ... similar to how they are addressed within a store.
    Please not suggestion 2 - at least not until a correction is made for those categories that DO have listings, but are showing (0). If the software stops showing categories that are incorrectly showing (0) listings, then those listings would become completely invisible to folks browsing through the categories. I think showing the number of listings is (while nice) not essential and personally would find your first suggestion preferable, unless it is easier to fix whatever is causing incorrect reporting of listing numbers for some subcategories.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    For instance, https://www.ebid.net/us/buy/jewelry-...ose-gemstones/ shows "Agate" as having (0) listings, yet when I click on it, there are several items in that sub-category. Several other sub-categories in this particular menu that are showing (0) also contain items.
    Should be ok now, thanks for letting us know.
    Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thanks!

Thread Information