Thread: Listing Images - Thumbnail Generation / Regeneration

Forum Newbie
    Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View discover's Feedback (+2912)
    All-About discover
    View discover's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Listing Images - Thumbnail Generation / Regeneration

I've just uploaded many items via the Bulk Upload facility using Excel spreadsheets, and find that for SOME ONLY of the new listings, the thumbnail image shown on multi-item pages (e.g. searches, shops) has not been generated and instead the 'no image' / 'camera' placeholder image is being used. It's possible (probable!) that for a few of these items I think images exist when they don't, but this has happened on 10% or so of my listings. This isn't a one-off. The same thing happened last time I uploaded listings.

* They're all listed in the same way, using the same syntax etc., so (so long as the image really does exist) there doesn't seem any reason why the missing ones shouldn't have been created

* When I go into listings that aren't showing a thumbnail, the image from which a thumbnail SHOULD have been created is showing so I know, on the ones I've checked so far at least, that the image does exist

* When I edit a listing individually - actually not really editing it, just going into the edit mode and then saving it again - the thumbnail image is created and appears

* When I go into a listing that isn't showing a thumbnail, do nothing, but then return to the multi-listing page it's on, it still doesn't show an image next to the listing, but an image for it IS shown in my 'Recently Viewed' list at the bottom of the page!

Is there a way anyone knows of to regenerate these thumbnails automatically, rather than going in to individual listings and editing? I've just uploaded 2000+ items, so it would be a lot to look at and edit if necessary one at a time!

Many thanks in anticipation

Kevin4fm / Disc-over

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Listing Images - Thumbnail Generation / Regeneration

The ones not showing the thumbnails are trying to fetch the image from a site that is throwing up a warning that the security certificate for the site is for a different site. The problem could be connected to that. Probably best to contact admin at support@ebid.net and seek their guidance.

Forum Newbie
    All-About discover
    View discover's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the pointer @astral276. I'll take a look at it, but all of the images are in the same place, of the same type ... everything is the same, just image1 goes with listing1, image2 with listing2, etc. So if that was the cause of the problem I'd expect it to affect all of the images not just a few. Plus, the actual image is being fetched OK, or appears to be, as it's showing when you go into the individual listing. It's just the thumbnail generation that is somewhat hit'n'miss.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well this is what shows when my browsers try to load images in the problem listings:

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  33.2 KB

If eBid also cannot access the original image files to process them then there could be issues. Best bet if the problem persists is still to contact admin direct.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

When I load 2000 new listings on a spreadsheet, sometimes there are thumbnails that do not show immediately, they seem to take a time to populate.

It seems your issue is more than that. I think I would try changing the location of your images.

It is relatively simple to change all 2000 of your image domains on a spreadsheet with a simple find and replace, and then use o for overwrite instead of a for add in the spreadsheet. Just keep your image1, image2...
    Last edited by billsstamps; 12th April 2017 at 04:35 PM.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Newbie
    All-About discover
    View discover's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks both for your suggestions. If all of the images were failing to upload, I'd agree that this might point to some sort of issue with where / how they are being uploaded from, but it isn't all it's only about 10%. And if I then go in to edit mode for an individual listing then save it again, making no actual changes, the thumbnail image then appears no problem ....

Just been to check the veracity of that statement and saw that some, at least, of the listings that previously had no listing now have. So perhaps I was just being impatient and with so many listings (c.2200) it was just taking time to process them all and when I looked only about 90% had. On one that is still missing the thumbnail, when I go into it there's no actual image either (nor the rear image which would be embedded in the description) and there it is indeed trying to load from a directory I have on my own site. So I'm guessing that's an example of one where I thought the image existed but it doesn't, or more likely the name is different to what I thought.

So it would seem that I was indeed just being impatient, and now there are far fewer with no image it becomes far less an issue to look at them individually to correct any image naming etc errors. And if it's a case of an image not existing or being named differently to what I thought, regenerating thumbnails wouldn't resolve that issue anyway.

Many thanks for your suggestions. The naming certificate issue has thrown up something else I need to look into!

Kevin4fm | Disc-over
    Last edited by discover; 12th April 2017 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information